Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gumtree – does it work?
  • charliemort

I’ve had about 4 or 5 responses to an ad on Gumtree. I have replied to these through the Gumtree email system, but never hear back

Is this normal – I almost wonder if the emails may not be getting through

thanks

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a washing machine on there – I thought the anonymous email seemed strange but it worked fine.

nickjb
    Free Member

We sometimes recruit for our football team on there. Lots of emails but not that many turn up. I’ve bought a few things on there but it’s a bit hit and miss. Lots of time wasters.

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes it works, but it starts to get messy after multiple correspondence. It definitely attracts the lowest common denominator in terms of iq though. If you want to be tortured by ignorant, ill mannered, illiterate haggling f*ck wits…..Gumtree.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It works ok, sold some drawers (paid for & gone within 3 hours of posting) a fridge freezer (one day) & a computer desk (same day).

johnhe

I usually display my mobile number when advertising on Gumtree.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I’ve used gumtree a number of times with success in selling low end mountain bikes. As mentioned an attached mobile number helps. I usually use an old pay as you go number as it makes it easier to ignore the idiots.

jimjam
    Free Member

I would personally try to avoid putting my mobile online in any way shape or form. You’re opening your phone up to all sorts of scams. At the very least you are opening yourself to phishing scams. If you are on Facebook instant messager people can search Facebook by your mobile number and see what you post there. And with all the emails, messages, info you might have on your phone why take the risk.

I insist people email me first then I’d send them my number. This can help weed out the real ****s. But even then, some of the emails are jaw droppingly stupid.

nemesis
    Free Member

It works but it’s much more hit and miss than say on here. You have to expect a lot of timewasters. Don’t make an effort to be home for people as many just won’t show.

MoreCashThanDash

we’ve sold lots of kids stuff on there with no problems. No takers for tbe kids themselves though.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

the email system is rubbish. ive given up responding to ads that dont have a phone number. i have money, you have something to sell, so why make it so bloody complicated?

jaylittle
    Free Member

Hence the pay as you go sim!

nemesis
    Free Member

people can search Facebook by your mobile number

Only if you set your privacy that way. Ditto for them being able to read your posts.

jools182
    Free Member

The email does seem strange, and intermittent

I had no response after I replied so I replied again, and was told they hadn’t received my first reply

jimjam
    Free Member

nemesis

Only if you set your privacy that way. Ditto for them being able to read your posts.

jaylittle

Hence the pay as you go sim!

Yeah I thought I’d post for the benefit of people who may not have considered the implications.

slackalice
    Free Member

Virtual tyre kickers, all of them. In my brief experience.

soundninjauk

I’ve managed to sell stuff on there before without too many hiccups. Generally (IME anyway) people provide their mobile number when they first get in contact, and I use that rather than the email system.

geoffj

You need to be tough with potential buyers.
    Explain that you will only respond to literate messages, you’ll ignore requests for your best price before seeing the item, and that you want cash on collection, no swaps.
    Uncheck the show map option too.
    I remember going to view old cars with my dad that he’d find in exchange and mart. We’d navigate using a dog eared 20 year old copy of an A to Z of Greater Manchester – fond memories. With gumtree you just seem to get more dicks and time wasters.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gumtree – does it work?’ is closed to new replies.