Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gulf of Morbihan – where's nice to stay?
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, we’re breaking out of routine this year…and holidaying somewhere else in France*.

Dr North has fond memories of the Gulf of Morbihan, so we’ve decided we’ll give that a whirl. Now, just need to find a nice gite not too far inland. Any suggestions of nice areas to look?

*No doubt we’ll be back au Sud next year…

Scapegoat

Baden isn’t bad, camped there a few years ago, or a bit further West to Carnac…. beautiful place with standing stone circles and some great coastline.

Can’t help with gites, but plenty to Google

bigG
    Free Member

We’ve stayed here before and it was a lovely base to explore the coast and the local region. The owners live close by and really couldn’t have been nicer. We’re planning on spending two weeks there next summer.

The Gite itself is extremely well equipped, back garden is huge (and kid friendly) and the pool was a welcome addition.

It took us approx 40 mins to get to Carnac & Vannes from Pontivy. If you’ve not been before then you HAVE to go to the fish market in Vannes (assuming you like seafood).

ton

trinite sur mer is fantastic.
    if you are camping, then camping du lac is perfect.

ourmaninthenorth

hey – thanks all.

bigG – looks very nice, but alas already booked for our dates. thanks for the tip for fish at Vannes – one thing I can get a fussy 3 year old to eat is fish!

ton – would love to camp, but Dr North thinks the Hilton is low rent!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am a big fan of La Trinite (I sailed out of there for 3 seasons), it is a little way from the Gulf though, depends what you mean by near. The advantage of basing yourself near La Trin is you can spend time on the beaches around Carnac and visit Belle ile quite easily.

In La Trinite we used to stay at the Lodge Kerisper, very nice. Some good restaurants there too. Given your “low rent” comment the Lodge could be perfect, I would suggest you avoid Carnac itself as a place to stay on the same basis.

bigG
    Free Member

Shame about it being booked,,, other recommendations of places / things to go –

Rennes on market day,
    Vannes on market day,
    (actually any French town on market day)
    Carnac stones,
    Carnac Plage (there’s a cracking ice cream place just back off the sea front road, basically come back one street from the sea to the one with shops on, walk up and down it and you can’t miss it. More flavours of ice cream than our three year old could cope with. She wanted to go back every day, and then every day when we came home.
    Chateau De Josselin
    Gulf De Morbihan is all lovely (on a nice day, it can be a bit breezy)
    The Submarine Museum in the old german built submarine yards in Lorient is good if the weather’s a bit grim.

Mont St Michel is absolutely worth the drive to get there, be early and wear comfy shoes. I was carrying my daughter in her carrier and my feet were killing me at the end of the day after walking up and down those very steep streets all day!

I’d recommend buying a copy of the Eyewitness Travel Brittany book. It really helped us dig out some great places to go that were off the beaten track.

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks jambalaya and BigG.

We’ve discussed somewhere other than France for hols this year, but out 3 y/o daughter has kiboshed it since France = holidays to her. She’s never holidayed anywhere else and has spent at least two birthdays there*!

*yes, one – her first – was in the Lyon Hilton…. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gulf of Morbihan – where's nice to stay?’ is closed to new replies.