Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Guitar – Headphone amp/effects with iPod input?
  • kevin1911

Surely such a thing must exist? I’m looking for some sort of gadget that will let me practise (ok, re-learn!) guitar via headphones and allow me to plug in my ipod so I can play along with things without having to have a proper amp cluttering up the sitting room…

Any suggestions?

wrecker
    Free Member

I have an apogee jam thingy. It’s good. Works a treat. Use it with an app called amplitube.

kevin1911

Thanks Wrecker – that’s probably a bit advanced for what I’m looking for.

All I really need is a gadget with 2 inputs – 1 for guitar and 1 for my ipod classic – and 1 headphone output. Some effects for the guitar would be nice, but not essential.

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s pretty much what it does I think. Amplitube is just an amp app for the ipad/iphone etc, others are available. I think you will need an app of some description though.

kevin1911

I don’t have an iPhone though – just an iPod classic, so no apps. Got an iPad, but that doesn’t have my music collection on it (too small)…

Also, not entirely sure I want to do recording, just playing along with some tunes.

banks
    Free Member

Think I understand. Me avt 50 has an cd input so I just use a 3.5 to big fat jack input to play my walkman through my amp as I’m playing

CountZero

A work colleague uses something like that with his iPad, he has various synths on it, along with effects and a mixer, and puts his guitar through it as well. Trouble is, he’s just gone swanning off to New York, so I can’t just stick my head round the door tomorrow and ask him. He should have his Pad with him, though, so I’ll drop him a line and see if I can find out what he uses.

kevin1911

Think I’ve found what I was looking for!

Korg Pandora Mini

seadog101

Line6 Pocket Pod:

Line 6 PocketPOD

£85 new, or about £40-60 on Ebay. I’ve got one, and it’s ace (I’m not). Especially when you also use the Vyzex software which you can get for free. They’re a bit of a handful when you first get hold of them, but you’ll quickly learn to love it.

Another option are the Vox Amplug.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I literally just bought myself one of these:

Vox Amplug

I got the Classic Rock one. With decent headphones it goes from a nice mellow bluesy sound, if you roll the gain and tone down a bit, to a scary, meaty fuzz with the gain up. Got it to go with my budget SG with humbuckers. Dead happy.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’ve got a VOX Plugin Amp and using it in exactly the manor you want to with ear phones and ipod/iphone/old portable cd play

Works great, no faffing about and doesn’t take up a corner of the room… get one.

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/

There you go … you wait days on end for a bus and then two come along at the same time

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Possibly overkill for you, but I’ve been using a Boss BR-80. Ticks all your requirements and then some!

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=1167

I do like my guitar kit, took delivery of a brand spanking new Boss DA-2 Adaptive Distortion pedal yesterday. Apparantly I had the first order in the UK with Roland for this. It’s bloody good too!

EDIT: It’s also packed full of loads of effects and you can create your own presets. Also is an 8 track recorder and has a ‘virtual band’ for jamming along to

bristolbiker
    Free Member

+1 for the Vox Amplug (another Classic Rock user here… 😉 Use it way more than my full size practise amp now…..

plumber
    Free Member

Pandora is closest to what you are looking for

However I have a Boss BR80 I don’t use if you want to make me an offer. It is brilliant actually but I have a lot of even better kit around.

plumb

grievoustim
    Free Member

Seriously

Use your iPad and use amplitube

You can import music to it song by song over your network – so you don’t need your whole collection in there.

Get the free version and just but the amp models and effects you need

I have a pod, and amplitube is better

Every other solution is more expensive and less versatile

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Every other solution is more expensive and less versatile

Not as versatile as the BR-80 mentioned above though.

Admittedly Amplitude is OK, but doesn’t do as much as a decent stand alone unit. For example, the BR-80 will allow you to isolate parts of tracks, etc. You also have better sound from a dedicated unit. I used Amplitude for a bit, but found dedicated kit a lot better.

I’d suggest the OP make plumber an offer!

A very useful app for the iPad for guitar orientated people is the Ultimate Guitar app for thousands and thousands of tabs

nickdavies

I’ve got one of the VOX mini amplugs, they’re ace. Nice and small. Amplitude is good but the vox is better if you just want to chuck something in your pocket and play with no faff.

kevin1911

Yeah, i looked at the Vox amplugs and they looked spot on too. Went for the Pandora as it has a few things I think will be useful (drum rythmn tracks for me to practise keeping time (!), and a few effects). For all the Amplugs cost, I suspect I’ll pick one up at some point too.

Plumber – thanks for the offer. I could well be interested. No idea what a sensible offer would be though – care to name a price?

Thanks!

16stonepig
    Free Member

I use Amplitube on my PC too. It’s fantastically flexible and can come out with some great sounds, but it’s a faff to boot up every time I want to play.

I now need to be persuaded that I don’t also need a Pandora, please.

plumber
    Free Member

Kevin

£120 plus postage

Email in profile

Ta

Plumb

16stonepig
    Free Member

Thought I’d update my Amplug experience, now I’ve had a few days to play about with it. One of the main benefits which I didn’t really anticipate is that I can plug my music player in, stick it in my pocket, and just go rambling around the house and garden, playing my guitar all the way. I have even jumped up onto the coffee table for a bit. Great fun.

CaptainSlow

I’ve been down the amplitude/peavey ampkit route and didn’t like it. Still have the adaptor somewhere. An annoying fellow called Larsen kept having an effect.

I’ve also got a pocket pod and a Pod HD 300 i need shot of. If anyone in the south east wants either give me a shout and let’s commence haggling 🙂

Conclusion. I dont like playing with headphones 🙁

Atomizer

Kevin

This would work 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-boss-me50-multi-fx-pedal

Plug your player in, listen on headphones, bags of effects…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Guitar – Headphone amp/effects with iPod input?’ is closed to new replies.