Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Guitar Amp help please
  • oldgit
    Free Member

My son got his VOX VT100 but we can't get a sound out of it, I've no idea. Can anyone help with a walk through.
    Cheers

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

stratobiker
    Free Member

RTFM oldgit! 😉

Merry Christmas
    SB

Checks -> -> ->
    The led comes on to show that the amp has power.
    Turn it up full volume. Is there any hissing at all coming out of the speakers?
    Writing some more while U check

stratobiker
    Free Member

More checks -> ->
    Just plug the lead in with no guitar on it. Touch the end of the cable. This should give some crackling (there's no current to harm you). It'll tell you thet the amp is working, but there's no output from the guitar.

Is it an open back amp? Has one of the speaker connections come off?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Is he plugging straight in or using the effects loop?

Take any effects out of the chain. Try just the guit straight into the Amp.

Your lad must be gutted……

Mail me your telephone number and I'll give you a call if you like….
    stratobiker@yahoo.co.uk

SB

stratobiker
    Free Member

Turn it off. Unplug it. Strat again….. ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY UNPLUG FROM POWER.

Like the guys did here…….
    http://www.voxamps.com/forum/topic.php?id=680

oldgit
    Free Member

Thanks for your help.

We can get a tiny sound with everything wound right up full?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Can you try it through headphones?
    That'll show if the pre-amp is working.

From the thread…….

If it works on headphones then the problem is with the speaker/speaker connections.

If it's working on H/Ps then the pre-amp section is okay. The problem could still be in the power amp section that has the tube, but it is worth checking the speaker first. Check to see if the speaker wires have come adrift. If it all looks okay than it's worth checking that the speaker is not open circuit. Disconnect the speaker and use an ohm meter on it to see if there is continuity through the speaker.

SB

oldgit
    Free Member

Getting some sound through the H/Ps not massive. All wire to the speakers are connected.
    Yeah he is gutted that was a lot of part time work for a 12/13 year old.
    The box had been opened?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Pardon me if I point out the glaringly obvious, but have you turned the gain up as well as the master volume?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes everything on full and you can just about hear something coming out of the speakers.

RustySpanner

oldgit, there should be a separate control knob for the output section of the power amp – on my older 50w Vox modelling amp it's on the back panel, near the headphone socket – Try turning it up a bit, post back if no luck.

Happy Christmas everyone!

MrNutt
    Free Member

erm, you do have the volume up on the guitar don't you?

oldgit
    Free Member

I assume I'm entitled to a replacement or full refund?

RustySpanner

oldgit, yeah, course you are.

Just try a different lead first though………….

MrNutt
    Free Member

its got valves no? does it make an almighty clatter if you rock it back n forth? (not that you're meant to do that)

stratobiker
    Free Member

Bummer! 🙁
    Just got back from my bike ride.
    I was hoping I'd read that you'd got it sorted.

Are you sure that the guitar and lead are working?
    Is there some way of testing them. Has your lad got an old amp or something?

Are you still trying, or are you resolved to taking it back?

Whichever, please let us know the outcome.

SB 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

No everything works on his practice amp, we have tried different leads and the guitar is a Jackson KVX10.
    With everything ramped up i.e Power/gain/master/volume etc etc we just get a tiny sound we do get more through the headphones.

Northwind

OK, try this if you haven't:

"Restoring the factory settings
    Here’s how to restore all settings of the VT-series to their factory-set state.
    NOTE: This operation will erase all programs that had been saved to channels,
    and will initialize the factory-set programs.
    NOTE: This will also initialize the effect and noise reduction settings that you
    made in Manual mode.
    1. Turn off the power.
    2. While holding down the [CH1] and [CH4] switches, turn on the power. When the
    BANK and CHANNEL LEDs start blinking, release the two switches you had been
    holding down.
    HINT: If you decide to cancel initialization at this point, press the [TAP] switch.
    3. Press the [BYPASS] switch. The BANK and CHANNEL LEDs will change from blinking
    to lit, and initialization will begin. In one or two seconds, initialization will be
    completed, and you will switch to Preset mode.
    NOTE: Never turn off the power while initialization is in progress."

Also, check and see if it's on noise reduction mode, if it is turn that off. I don't think it's the power level on the back panel but it wouldn't hurt to check, spin it up to halfway. Lastly, as far as I know that model doesn't have a tuner but if it does, switch it off.

There's a troubleshooting guide in the manual, among other things it says to make sure there's nothing jacked into the external speaker output, headphone output, or pedal loops.

Not sure if any of these will help but it can't hurt. Good luck, hope you get it sorted! Vox make good amps so don't worry that it's a bad purchase, it might be that there's something wrong but don't be put off!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Nice one Northwind…..

Fingers crossed.

SB

plumber
    Free Member

I'm sayin' nowt

Plum

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Guitar Amp help please’ is closed to new replies.