Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Guide dogs………can restaurants ban them?
  • SiB
    Free Member

As the title really. Is there legislation that says they are permitted or is it just a case of the owner making a decision to let them on to their premises or not?

nealglover
    Free Member

There is no Law that specifically says guide dogs have to be allowed.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks Neal, argument finished!

olddog

There is legislation about discrimination against the disabled and providing access though.

Not a lawyer, so do not know if that is relevant.

77ric
    Free Member

Under the disabilities discrimination act, refusing service to some one who is disabled would be an offence, including those who require guide dogs.

Giudedogs.org

olddog

… beat me to it

SiB
    Free Member

Argument reopened!

Read the guidedogs.org link above, thanks 77ric. Under the section regarding what circumstances a guide dog could be refused entry it didn’t mention if the owner is highly allergic to dogs……….is this a valid reason to ban GDs on the premises?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

however, restaurants and pubs do not have to give a reason to not allow someone into their premises, just as you don’t have to give a reason for not letting someone into your home.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Of course, if the proprietor said “I’m not letting you in because you’re blind/black/gay etc” then it would be grounds for an offence. therefore, they can just say “I’m not letting you in”.

Don’t know why you’d not let a guide dog in though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Under the section regarding what circumstances a guide dog could be refused entry it didn’t mention if the owner is highly allergic to dogs……….is this a valid reason to ban GDs on the premises?

If they are, sure.
    Of course someone might not believe them, so if it reached a court case, they better have supporting GP evidence.

olddog

If you are genuinely concerned about this I would get legal advice, and not rely on internet opinion

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Contact the guide dogs association if you are having problems / have a question.

My cousin’s OH has a guide dog (INCREDIBLE animals, btw) and from chatting to them the guide dogs society (or whatever they’re called) take a very dim view of any establishment that won’t let guide dogs on the premises.

neninja
    Free Member

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/uploads/media/Access_to_restaurants.pdf

Based on this and the example if case law it would be seen to discrimination.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Not totally relevant but my sister once went into a restaurant with a blind man and his dog . As they walked to their table the guide dog took a big slurp along the sweet trolley , nobody noticed except my sister who was too embarrassed to tell anybody . Suffice to say they didn’t risk a dessert .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Guide dogs………can restaurants ban them?’ is closed to new replies.