• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Guess the car……
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I was riding one of the necessary evil road parts of my regular Saturday morning ride this morning when some tool in a car nearly hit me and a van coming the other way. Every other driver had been fine up until this point. But as soon as I saw the make and colour of the car I thought “here we go”. There was a van coming the other way. I was riding about two feet out from the verge. Not in the middle of the lane, but clearly saying “you’re going to have to go over the line if you want to overtake, you can’t squeeze past and stay in lane”. So what does our hero do?

You already know the answer of course. No slowing down. Tries to squeeze past me (I reckon his wing mirror was about a foot from my bar end). I shout a one-word Anglo Saxon oath. The car then nearly hits the van coming the other way as they desperately try to jink back in. The van has to slap the anchors on and is not impressed, loud horn action. Meanwhile our hero carries blithely on, not giving a shit that he/she could have killed themselves and two other people.

Now then STW. Two questions worth five points each.

What was the make of car?

What colour was it?

BTW this happened on a country B road, no complicated road markings or anything. I got the reg number and am tempted to try to find out where they live and go and chuck some nitromors over said car.

Northwind

White and German. But which? I’m going to say Audi because he remained a relatively civilised foot from your bars.

scaredypants

black
    rav4
    also:
    woman
    anywhere in the new forest

giantjason
    Free Member

I say black bmw

dannyh
    Free Member

North wind has five points for the colour, but not an Audi. You are correct in the Teutonic origin of the car, though.

oldtimboiow
    Free Member

Ok I’ll go with black Bmw, and presumably he was on the phone too !
    Timbo

breadcrumb

White Merc?

oldtimboiow
    Free Member

If it was a Merc then he was probably on his way to deliver some drugs (think that covers all the stereotypes then !

collostomy
    Free Member

White BMW,

dannyh
    Free Member

Ok, the colour was white and it was a BMW. There seems to be a loosely connected pack of these roaming my local area trying to kill cyclists. There is another one, typical tuppence ha’penny snobby bint with a personalised plate. Probably got a chip on her shoulder cause she’s had to marry and shag some rich bloke to get the car. She’s nearly done me twice on my bike and once while I was driving with one of my kids in the car.

I feel like taking an ad out in a local newspaper or shop windows saying driver of car reg NAT 77Y is a dangerous driver and any accident in which she is involved is likely to be a result of her driving.

Probably wouldn’t get printed or put up, but there you go, there’s no telling some people. You have to wait until they kill someone before they are sat in the dock tears streaming down their stupid fake tanned faces blubbing “I just can’t believe it, this has ruined my life your honour, please don’t send me to jail”.

timba
    Free Member

I’ll look out for that one.
    One of these Wednesdays/weekends, when the weather/work is right 😳 I’d like to try out with your group (if you’ll have a new, and old, MTBer)

lucien

Danny’s – whereabouts are you, so there’s can avoid cars also?

MrOvershoot

On the other hand I had to have a word with one of our neighbours for overtaking slowly!!

P reg Volvo S40 passed me just before a blind bend at the end of a long downhill straight into town 30 zone, she was at least giving me plenty of room but if anything came the other way it would have been a head on or me wiped out.
    She said she doesn’t feel safe above 30mph! I was polite as she did seem shocked when I pointed out what might have happened.

RustySpanner

🙂

My mate’s mum wouln’t turn right.
    Ever.
    It scared her.

Not driving anymore, thankfully.

monkeyboyjc

As a white bmw driver I take offence at this generialising bias thread.

*leaves to find a cyclist and drive like a prat*

JEngledow
    Free Member

I drive a red BMW and when I was given the car (company car) the BMW man who showed me how all the controls worked explained about the special BMW competition to get as close to bikes as possible (without touching them), thankfully I’ve got a 3″ handicap for choosing red and an extra 1.5″ for it being an estate although I loose 2″ if I wear a baseball cap or beanie while driving and 1.5″ if I have a suit jacket or shirt on a hanger in the back!!

Cougar

My mate’s mum wouln’t turn right.
    Ever.
    It scared her.

Friend’s neighbour in Preston drove like that. If she ever had to turn right, she’d try to work out how to make three left turns instead. And these people hold licences.

aP
    Free Member

Well, heading back to the HQ after marshalling the Kingston Wheeler’s Sporting 14 this morning a silver Ford Focus just pulled out of a junction from the opposite side of the road. I stopped with their bonnet about 6″ from my driver’s side window. And they just waved their hands apologetically. I was doing about 35, with lights on, on a reasonably straight road….
    …and we only got sworn at by one driver whilst marshalling, which was nice.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Guess the car……’ is closed to new replies.