• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Guatemalan sink holes – real?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Saw a link on FB to a set of slightly dodgy looking pics depicting a massive sinkhole in Guatemala. A bit of internetting came up with some more plausible looking pics HERE but not much else…

Pretty scary stuff, if they're real…

EDIT; sorry wrong forum.

alexxx
    Free Member

wow

jam-bo

happens all the time down in devon/cornwall.

I heard a story recently of a couple in a village down the road. Popped up the floorboards to do some work to find no floor and a 100ft mineshaft. instantly worthless house….

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Looks like the army are looking into it. IGMC (I'm here all week)

LoCo
    Free Member

Great thanks for that guys, the workshop is on an old colliery site, getting paranoid what's under me know, if I stop posting you know what's happened 😯

user-removed
    Free Member

The local dry ski slope here in Sunderland is built on an old colliery site. About 10 years ago, the half kilometer lake on the site simply disappeared overnight into a large and scary looking crevice 😯

alexxx
    Free Member

mummy

Jamie
    Free Member

Pics are real. Guatemala seems to have them more frequently than most.

The main one, which i think is linked by the OP, was in 2007:

neilforrow

all true… caused by underground rivers. some of these things are massive, one of the largest being in the Sierra Nevada, Spain. (gypsum / alluvial ones, went to see it on a fieldtrip).

a sink hole happens when the roof of a cave / underground river falls in… geophysics is big business where these things presnt a problem…

the ones in limestone are really impressive…

check out the link for the 10 best sinkholes on the planet!

http://listsoplenty.com/fax/archives/948

LoCo
    Free Member

Mountain are like swiss cheese round here in south wales with old mines. One mountain over by Pontypool, has warning signs telling you not to leave the path due to crevases where the mountain is literally pulling open 😮

coffeeking
    Free Member

Have you seen this?

carlos
    Free Member

Now thats what you call a Pot hole!!!

tinsy
    Free Member

Where I was brought up had a series of holes called Deneholes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denehole

Imagine their supprise.
    http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/8098565.Our_patio___s_fallen_into_a_giant_hole_in_the_ground_/

LoCo
    Free Member

coffeeking, that's seriously impressive, not that reasuring though!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Scary isn't it?!

Woody
    Free Member

Popped up the floorboards to do some work to find no floor and a 100ft mineshaft. instantly worthless house.

Yup. Guy at work has one of those. Nothing quite as dramatic as those pics but new house built on an old mineshaft only discovered when cracks appeared on the walls. Builder blames the Coal Board, who in turn claim the builder had details. He's stuck in the middle and can't afford to take either of them to court = worthless house 😥

Saccades
    Free Member

google centralia – burning coal has produced similar.

Hohum
    Free Member

I have seen that Guatemalian one before.

I do like this list:

neilforrow – Member
    all true… caused by underground rivers. some of these things are massive, one of the largest being in the Sierra Nevada, Spain. (gypsum / alluvial ones, went to see it on a fieldtrip).

a sink hole happens when the roof of a cave / underground river falls in… geophysics is big business where these things presnt a problem…

the ones in limestone are really impressive…

check out the link for the 10 best sinkholes on the planet!

http://listsoplenty.com/fax/archives/948

I particularly like the one in Australia that they have made into a sunken garden!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Am I the only one who read "Guatemalan stink holes" and giggled?
    😳

LoCo
    Free Member

my mild dyslexia has got me into all kinds of trouble over the years 😯

ojom
    Free Member

The car park at Big W in Edinburgh had a mini sink hole – still impressive mind.

fisha
    Free Member

In my area, there are tons of old mines which local land owners in days gone by dug out on a naughty naughty basis.

nowadays, these are collapsing and the collapse is working to the surface, and so sink holes appear suddenly.

Speaking to the people that sort them out, they say they have maps of mines they know of, but that they reckon its only a fractino of the real number of mines out there.

Pigface
    Free Member

LoCo are you talking about the British? Loads of fissures and Coal Board signs telling you what to do.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Ooooh i've been that one in Oman 😀

smoothchicken

There's loads in Mexico as well, called 'cenotes' and are caused by underground water eroding limestone then the top falls in. Abseiled into one on holiday, had a swim at the bottom, then had to claim a rope ladder to get out. Realised it was a bad idea when my arms become made of jelly near the top of the ladder and faced a 60ft drop back down. Nice wee Mexican saved me!

MrNutt
    Free Member

just you wait till the city of Bath experiences 2019, our year of continuous rain.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Builder blames the Coal Board, who in turn claim the builder had details. He's stuck in the middle and can't afford to take either of them to court = worthless house

Surely not his problem, his contract is with the builder, who is insured and should have done the checks. Regardless of the real fault, under the new home buildy insurance stuff (10 year warranty) it's all covered anwyay?

cynic-al
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    The car park at Big W in Edinburgh had a mini sink hole – still impressive mind.

Really? Not noticed that.

Probbers too busy at the pick'n'mix aisle.

LoCo
    Free Member

Pigface yes it's British I was on about. And don't ask where the maps of old mine working have gone 😯 😯 😯

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Guatemalan sink holes – real?’ is closed to new replies.