• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Guardian reading cyclist rant and a way of making drivers more aware
  • Olly
    Free Member

Guardian readers really arnt doing themselves, or anyone else any favours.

a crap cycle lane.

not ideal, admitedly but how is it not clear whats going on there?
    there is a heavily used exit/junction, be aware of it.
    its there to stop cyclists being ploughed into by drivers who arnt paying attention. sure the bike SHOULD have right of way as hes in "a lane", but we all know it doesnt work like that. ffs, stop being so stubborn about it and grow up

i hate hippies

the "holier than thou" attitude some people have is getting my back up this fine thursday lunchtime.

in other news. ive had a thought re cycling safety in "the city"

there are loads of videos on oootoob of people who are filming thier daily commute. (usually of cyclists breaking the law, and then complaining when they get cut up, which wouldnt happen if they were following the rules)

BUT

a proportion of regular commuter bikers take it upon them selves with some help from governing bodies, to get kitted out with lid-cameras, and a high vis vest with a picture of a speed camera on the back

and "smile, your on cctv" printed beneath

video files could then be uploaded to a website and drivers reported.

increase in stats for "close calls" and might make drivers more aware that they cant get away with "pushing past" as anyone in a high vis vest could be equiped to report a dodgey manouver.

got that all off my chest.
    lunch time
    x

AndyP
    Free Member

increase in stats for "close calls" and might make drivers more aware that they cant get away with "pushing past" as anyone in a high vis vest could be equiped to report a dodgey manouver.
    hippy

grumm
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Yes I'm with Grumm. Huh?

trailmonkey

OP, lay off the coffee.

orena45

I think the wait for On One to drop Olly his pre-ordered 456 is making him go crazy 😛

BigDummy
    Free Member

Would You Like To Know MORE?

I am unsure what hippies have to do with it though…

And I'm still not getting any near misses that would justify wandering around with a camera on my head just to get footage of them. 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

sorry.

im being stubborn and pedantic about people being stubborn and pedantic

feel much better now ive got me some lunch (and had an excuse to walk through the foyer, where there seems to be a meeting going on (this is not unsual) of "hot young ladies" (this IS unsual)

i think i need to go and make another coffee….

DezB
    Free Member

I could imagine a helmet-cam video taken on one of my commutes. Lots of heavy breathing and swearing. 😕

So where is that cycle lane in the top pic? If my commute was around there I don't think i'd be complaining much about anything!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

On that guardian 'readers' worst cycle lane pictures' article, does anyone else think that this is actually pretty cool?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2009/nov/05/readers-worst-cycle-lanes?picture=355167397

I'd quite like to ride that.

antigee

complaining when they get cut up, which wouldnt happen if they were following the rules

not so sure about that

i don't commute so don't suffer the worst traffic but ride to gym, shops and out to the peak on road – stop for red lights, usually overtake long staionary traffic on the right, usually just tootle along behind whatever just passed me in shorter queues, never pavement hop etc etc am an angel

but still i get cut up by drivers that can't wait 20seconds to see what is coming the other way or are intent on that urgent left turn

not sure about the "smile you are on cctv vest" – those drivers that drive badly don't worry about it or know about it – might make you a target for the aggressive ones

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, me too, but not on my road bike!

ourmaninthenorth

Yeah, me too, but not on my road bike!

I thought that, then considered the daily challenge of clearing that on the drops with one or two laden panniers. 😀

crispedwheel
    Free Member

daily challenge of clearing that on the drops

Fair enough, the thought of riding anywhere with drops fills me with dread! Where is it btw?

ourmaninthenorth

Where is it btw?

Somewhere in fried Mars Bar country.

wwaswas

Cyclists have ben naughty in brighton too;

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4720915.Hundreds_of_Brighton_and_Hove_cyclists_fined/

Police and council staff stopped cyclists without lights to warn them and give them vouchers for free bike lights and other high-visibility kit.

In the second week of the campaign, which ended on Monday, 116 people were issued with £30 fines and another 185 were spoken to.

so if I pay a £30 fine I get more than £30's worth of free lights and hi-vis clothing?

DezB
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Cyclists have ben naughty in brighton too;

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/4720915.Hundreds_of_Brighton_and_Hove_cyclists_fined/

Police and council staff stopped cyclists without lights to warn them and give them vouchers for free bike lights and other high-visibility kit.

Substitute the word 'cyclists' for 'morons' and you've got a more accurate story.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Guardian reading cyclist rant and a way of making drivers more aware’ is closed to new replies.