Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • GT Sanction
  • jk1980
    Free Member

Does anyone have the 650b one? Just wondering what they’re like from a real world perspective.

I see that the Dirt review says the XL is good for 6 foot plus. I’m 6 2 and would have thought the large would have been fine. What size are you running and whats your height?

jk1980
    Free Member

Anyone got one?

jonk

If its any good my dad demoed the XL Sanction and it was a good fit. He is 6 2 but has longer legs than the average bear. He decided that with all the pivots and where the shock is located that it would be better getting a more “UK” friendly bike.

hardupdad

Awesome bike. I’m 5’10 and would go medium. Pivots and everything super reliable. Designed with help from Dan Atherton who last time I looked was a UK rider. I wouldn’t worry about issues.

Point it down hill and is great. Need to pedal a flat and is great. Not a trail bike though.

damascus
    Free Member

I had a large 26er sanction and at 6ft 3 it was too small. Not sure how the 27.5 compares but I’d think you are more xl at 6ft2

jk1980
    Free Member

Thank you both

Having looked at the reach its 462mm I think for the large. If not for the Dirt article that I read, I would have thought that would be pretty spot on for someone who’s 6 2. Has anyone tried the large?

jk1980
    Free Member

Damascus- thank you – I will check out how the geometry compares on both. In fact I did find this:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gt/images/gt_12_Catalog_GEO.pdf

But annoyingly they don’t seem to quote the reach for the 26 version.

jk1980
    Free Member

Just a couple of questions on this in general for anyone in the know:

1. What size fork would you put on it? Its got 165mm at the back, so I’m not sure whether to go 160mm or 170mm at the front. For me the answer may depend on what size fork is needed to achieve the 66 degree head angle. If they’re relying on a 170mm fork to get the 66 degree head angle, then its not very slack at all.

2. Does anyone know where to get reliable geometry specs from? I’ve been going off the pinkbike ones, but the geometry on the GT site is different. I hope the pinkbike geometry is correct. The GT one is a mess if nothing else, I can barely read it, but from what its saying the top tub is 614mm via a blurry image, whereas pinkbike say its 630mm. Which one is correct?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/gt-sanction-review-2014.html

http://www.gtbicycles.com/int_en/2015/bikes/mountain/gravity/sanction-pro

damascus
    Free Member

Are the angles taken into account with or without sag? That might be why the is a difference?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen and read this bike is not about fun and it is certainly not a trail bike. It uses a similar suspension design as the DH bike it’s meant to get you to the top of the craziest EWS stage then smash down it.

jk1980
    Free Member

Yep from what I’ve read it’s pretty good downhill, but it’s not a DH bike of course so will have it limits.

Re measuring without sag I’m not sure as they don’t seem to say. But that wouldn’t change the top tube measurement would it? Again it’s hard to make out from the poor quality of the gt image, but it appears that the wheelbase is slightly different also

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Definitely 170 or 180mm fork in there for sure. I’ve had a bounce on one with a 160mm fork and it felt too low and unbalanced. Chris Porter at Mojo reckons it needs a 180mm fork.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks getonyourbike, although that’s a shame didn’t really want to go as much as 170. How tall are you and how did you find the fit? Am struggling to find one to demo unfortunately

jimjam
    Free Member

Surely you could just run a deeper BB cup on the bottom and/or high rise bars to get the front end up a bit. 5mm won’t unbalance it. See Specialized Enduro, Yt Capra and several other bikes for reference.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Jamjam don’t you mean headset cup? BB doesn’t look too low according to geo chart 165 at the back so a 170 would make sense maybe 180.

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes sorry, I meant headset cups. It had been a long day

jk1980
    Free Member

Unfortunately I can’t seem to find one of these to demo in a shop, there are frames but no bike to try out. So this is my last port of call…is there any chance someone has one please in large that I could try for size?

PeteG55
    Free Member

I’d take a look at the setup of Affy’s bike. If he’s been the driving force in development then surely it’s going to based somewhere close to it. 160mm fork and 35mm stem. I like the look of these and would go XL everytime (I’m 6ft3).

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks Pete. How come you would go XL out of interest? From what I can tell the large has a reach of 462mm, which I would have thought was quite big

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘GT Sanction’ is closed to new replies.