Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gt rear trainable off centre?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

My rear triangle appears to be off centre. Any advice?

[/url]

[/url]

Not the most scientific of measuring but I think it illustrates the point. The rear tyre is also ever so slightly off centre.

Should I return to lbs?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I dont have that GT – I’ll only add that some of the bike’s I’ve had have asymettrical chainstays, and they are different distances from the tyre and down tube on either side.

Do you think it’s a problem? If so – from new?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How new is the bike? Is the wheel off centre compared to teh seat tube?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Had it four months. Tbh since I’ve had I’ve had numerous issues. Latest one being a terrible creaking noise from the bb or cranks.

The wheel is ever so slightly off centre to the right. So of you look at where the cable tensioner is (dead centre) the centre of the tread is off to the right.

Doesn’t cause any major ride issues, but if it’s side loading the shock it will wear it quicker. Also being a ‘new’ bike I’d expect it to be perfect.

Unfortunately no geo for the back of the bike online, so can’t see if it’s meant to be like it or not.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

ashley – where’d you buy it from? Somewhere local? Online?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Back to the shop then to be checked out.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Bought it from my lbs, tbh they are v good. But just wondered if anyone had any experience of this. Also heard gt can be a bit crap at warranty replacements. I.e they don’t!

samat
    Free Member

Hi same here with my GT sensor 3.0 2011. Mine is 1 month old, bought in Tokyo. Could you update this feed? GT replaced it? They told it is OK? Rear wheel seems to be in good position for me.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Looks like nothing to me. It may even be deliberate, whats the dish on the back wheel?

samat
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain , thanks for good news, I try to think the same. the chain should have more space definitely. and mine is at least the second bike with the same frame mismatch

I’ll change tire today, and check rear wheel position without tire. then I can see if the position is correct or not

I_Ache
    Free Member

Measure at the BB to see if the tube is off centre. If the tube is off centre on the BB then the rear triangle is probably straight.

alexathome
    Free Member

Although not highly accurate, get a piece of string, loop around the head tube, take to the rear dropouts, then measure the distance between the string and the seat tube the distances in every instance that I can think of should be the same. Also to the OP the wheel being out of alignment with the seat tube is never good! Either they were made on the piss, or you may have bent something through use, which might be covered by household insurance if the warranty people at GT don’t want to help.

A good bike shop should be able to locate the source of the discrepancy that you have found. The most obvious cause is a wheel not seated in the dropouts correctly thou, although I’m sure you’ve checked that. Best of luck!

samat
    Free Member

Thanks for all, I checked the wheel position with 1.25 tires and seems perfect.
    GT just made some more space for the chain this way. However I will check 2012 models in the store soon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do GT still have the bolt on ends to the chain and seat stays – those were horrendously creeky when i used to sell them.

used to have to strip the bolts out em and grease em regular.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gt rear trainable off centre?’ is closed to new replies.