Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • GT or INNERS??
  • hainman
    Free Member

heading down there tomorrow and would like some advice as to do glentress again.done it last year but spooky woods was closed or try innerleithen as never been…
    many thanks
    craig

coogan
    Free Member

I’d do Innerleithen every time over GT as it’s a fav of mine. But GT has plenty aceness to offer of course! If you’ve been to GT before, then go try something new. You’d have time to go back and have a play at GT afterwards.

legend
    Free Member

If we’re talking about marked routes then Gt > Inners every time for me. Inners XC is just decidedly meh imo, whereas there are countless ways of having fun at Gt

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Innerleithen since you’ve not done it before, I reckon. But Legend’s spot on.

PrinceJohn

innners!

mboy
    Free Member

Inners if you’re in the mindset for an epic climb followed by probably the best descent you will ever ride on a trail centre… But it is an epic climb!

GT if you want to ride something that’s a bit less all climb then all descend, and if you’ve not ridden spooky woods yet, you’re in for a treat.

legend
    Free Member

probably the best descent you will ever ride on a trail centre…

that is a very bold statement, even when just comparing Inners and Gt (and you obviously haven’t been to Golspie before)

youngrob

Inners, every time. The descents are amazing with so many options. The IXS Cup is there this weekend, check the website for the additions they’ve built for it – and a Swedish guy falling on the last jump!

coogan
    Free Member

Spooky Wood is… average, but Caddon Bank is soooooooo much better. I’d do GT black boundary trail over Spooky Wood. That is an ace trail that wipes the floor with Spooky Wood.

And plenty of trails at Innerleithen if you go a looking. There is loads of awesome trails off the ‘trail centre’ route that tick all my style of riding. A few of them near vertical!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Depending on what time tomorrow – and where you’re coming from – the olympic torch relay may make one or other easier to get to.

turbo1397
    Free Member

inners all day over GT..

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Based on red routes:

Glentress i’d say.

Inners red route climb is a bit of a struggle – not sure the descent is worth it.

Spooky Wood is awesome!

Been going to Glentress for years and only discovered the black boundry trail by accident coz Spooky Wood was closed for an Enduro Event – it is excellent! – still to try Deliverance, but heard it is wicked too.

+1 for Golspie descent 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

You’ve been going for years and never done the black?!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Never, been going for 5 – 6 years 🙄

Frequent Laggan and Golspie too mind you.

coogan
    Free Member

Well now you know it’s better than Spooky Wood. :mrgreen:

Now go find ‘Broon Troot’ for the bestest trail there.

imnotverygood

oops didn’t read all the posts

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

coogan – might just do that matey,

Cheers 🙂

iwluap

Inners is more smiles per mile than GT I reckon. The climb ain’t that bad at all, quite enjoyable in fact! And the ride back down is ace, in some places sublime.

(Legend – visited Golspie for the first time a couple of weeks ago, with the good fortune to do so during the super sunny weather, and took on the black. That descent from the top is one heck of a trail! Discretion being the better part of valour on my first visit, there were a few walk downs. Those highland boys like it steep, loose and rocky! I will return!)

Back on topic, GT rocks as well, in fact I’m heading there tomorrow to do the black as I haven’t ridden it in ages. Getting excited already!

eemy
    Free Member

The Olympic Torch relay is coming through Peebles and Innerleithen tomorrow and the main road will be closed from late-ish morning I think, so you’d be best to get down early.

iwluap

Cheers enemy, that’s a good heads-up!

iwluap

Eemy even, damn auto-correct.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Did GT and Inners a couple of years ago one weekend. The red at GT was ok but Inners the following day was far better IMHO.

alandavidpetrie79 – Member
    Based on red routes:

Glentress i’d say.
    Inners red route climb is a bit of a struggle – not sure the descent is worth it.
    Bit of a struggle? You want to lay off the pies 😆

alaric

If you’ve got time and energy you could do both…

The last couple of time I’ve been with my other half (neither of us are fast), we’ve done both.

Either park at GT, cycle along the road to Inners, ride the XC there, ride back to GT ride there, shower, home…

Very doable!

sfinnie
    Free Member

*** Olympic torch is coming through Peebles tomorrow – access road from Edinburgh closed 0800-1500 ***

That might be the decider. Don’t think it’s going through Inners (tho you might want to check…).

Notwithstanding:

Depends what you like. Inners is a wee bit more gnarly, influences from DH clear (especially Caddon Bank). There’s also some nice techie sections of climb and good rock gardens too. As others have said it’s pretty much up then down – but both are good. I’d say Inners XC shades GT red for me. But it’s v close.

It’s really an embarrassment of riches. Per posts above: plenty of scope to do both Inners + GT red in one day.

One thing to note if you’re contemplating GT black: Deliverance is currently closed due to forest ops. Diversion is a bit rooty and muddy. Spooky Wood open again tho (or at least was on Sat).

Fun fun fun whatever you choose.

spando
    Free Member

Defo inners, the climb isn’t bad at all, I would say its fun 😀

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Inners for sure with the added bonus that its not rammed with weekend warriors.

br
    Free Member

Been going to Glentress for years and only discovered the black boundry trail by accident coz Spooky Wood was closed for an Enduro Event – it is excellent! – still to try Deliverance, but heard it is wicked too.

So what exactly have you been riding ‘for years’ at GT, if you’ve only just ‘discovered’ the Black? 🙄

jedi

inners over gt red everytime

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

They’re only five miles apart, if you’re there all day do both.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Inners if you like to fly :):):)

legend
    Free Member

Deliverance is currently closed due to forest ops

Nope, or at least not unless it’s closed again in the last week or so.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Deliverance is currently closed due to forest ops

It’s been open for the last week or so. However there are week day diversions on the climb from the cafe – GoApe related – and on Falla Brae descent – otherwise it’s back to normal.

And to reiterate – THE torch is passing there tomorrow.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers folks…so many different veiws.with the road closed that could be a nightmare so might need to re-think the plans….
    is there an alternate route i could take that would make it easier to get to??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me glentress -= for tha variety and the variations possible

Innerleithan IMO you get less fun descending for the amount of climbing. GT you get better value for your climbs

However its like saying do you prefer isle of mull chedder or a nice bunchester – both good cheeses, both tasty, both different.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

is there an alternate route i could take that would make it easier to get to??

a few ways of cycling in – there is a track from peebles to innerliethan, there is a back road on the other side of the river you could use

binners

Inners every time for me! I love the 360 degree views from the trig point at the top, then set off to hoon down the descent!!!

But we always go for two days and do both. Basically: you can’t go wrong. Love the place!! In fact we’re just booking a trip later this year 😀

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Inners without a doubt, climb is good fun with some awesome scenery. If you find it “Epic” you need to get out more 😉

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

b r – the red route 🙂

Should have really got a map and went exploring!

Know where to go now tho – Bring it on.

alex222
    Free Member

GT for the warm up Inners for the main event.

richmtb

For a single route Inners XC is great. Better than GT red – a lot quieter too

For a day out with a mix of riding GT has more to offer – Do the red, do bits of blue, bits of black, mess about in the freeride park etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘GT or INNERS??’ is closed to new replies.