Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • GT mostly closed.
  • imnotverygood

WTF are they playing at?

Until end of November, the Red Route is closed from post 45 to 51 (Matrix and Lombard St closed). The Black Route is currently closed between post 87 and 52 (upper part of Redemption Climb, Ewok Village, Double X, The Bitch and Wormhole closed). Please follow diversion signs.

2. Until end of December the Blue Route is closed between posts 34 and 4 (Admiral and following forest road section). Please follow diversion at exit of Good Game (post 33) back to trailhead on forest road (caution – road is busy with vehicles).

3. Until end of November the Pie Run, Mushroom Pie & Magic Mushroom on Red Route are closed weekdays only. Please follow diversion at exit of Hit Squad Hill (post 45) to Tourist Trap (post 53).

tragically1969
    Free Member

🙄 Maintenance ?

stuartm555
    Free Member

how dare they! 🙂

WackoAK
    Free Member

Other trails are available.

iainc

if you look at the red and blue diversions on a map they are pretty minor, and they are the routes that get most of the riders.

imnotverygood

Maintenance ?

Well they should do it at night when nobody is there. (unless I fancy a night ride)

tragically1969
    Free Member

Well they should do it at night when nobody is there

You should add a 😉 to that pretty quickly i reckon, unless of course you are being serious in which case 🙄

phatstanley
    Free Member

WTF are they playing at?

hmmm.

trying to do what they can to preserve some of the most popular trails of any UK trail centre?

or…maybe they’re on a secret mission to target your[/i] individual happiness.

(insert wink emoticon here)

bigjim

disgraceful. get 38 north to start a web petition, stat.

banginon

Drumlanrig TOTALLY open, and free to ride at the moment as no one mans the kiosk at this time of the year.

Snack bar and Rik’s Bike Shed open 10:00 – 4:00 Fri, Sat, Sun

Trails riding superbly and all very, very pictursque in all it’s autumnal glory..

Go on try something different, you know you want to…………

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Last time I did that I got arrested. 😳

iainc

scary slippery roots at the moment though I’m guessing, Rik 😛

richmtb

hmm… Lombard Street and the Matrix closed – no loss there then

The Pie Run, Magic Mushroom, only closed on weekdays – no big deal.

Some fun bits of the black route closed but just ride up to the radio mast and go down the red instead.

No big deal, its a working forest and they always do a good job of keeping the disruption to a minimum

kevin1911

Anyone know if it’s actually maintenance they’re doing, or are they doing their bit for global deforestation?

iainc

richmtb +1

chrisdb
    Free Member

Matrix has been closed on and off all year. It’s really not that desperate. The trails need maintained – they are shagged from a hard seasons use.

peachos
    Free Member

bangin on – Member
    Drumlanrig TOTALLY open, and free to ride at the moment as no one mans the kiosk at this time of the year.

Trails riding superbly and all very, very pictursque in all it’s autumnal glory..

Rode it last Sunday for the first time & happy to say you’re spot on sir! What a great trail – lots of rooty, slippery fun on the first Black section – not much like a ‘normal’ trail centre at all – more like your local blast around the woods, but on steroids. Some loverly forest sections, especially good in the mid-afternoon light at the moment.

I’ll be visiting again at some point for sure!

daveb
    Free Member

As said, Drumlanrig is excellent and well worth a visit. If you really need a trail centre then Innerleithen XC just down the road.

If you are stuck in that area then Gypsy Glen, 3B, Yair, SUW etc all rideable with maps easily available.

ChrisL

It’s hardly mostly closed. There’d be something noticeably missing from the red on weekdays but even then well over half the trail is still open. On the black you still get the big descents (Boundary Trail and Deliverance), the parts that are closed are much smaller in comparison (even if The Bitch is a good bit).

I think that most of these closures are due to forest operations (felling/thinning I think) rather than trail maintenance, but some trail maintenance is going on too.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Rik, do you mean that no-one gets grumpy if we come down and don’t pay over the winter? I enjoyed the trails at SXC earlier this year, but my tight-arse friends are complaining about paying the per-person price for riding.

PS – Yeah, GT is totally shut folks – don’t bother. (I’m going tomorrow to avoid riding on soggy walkers paths in the Pentlands, so it would be nice if it wasn’t as rammed as it usually is on a Saturday). 😉

Northwind

Pretty sure this’ll be logging/thinning, the stuff up on the red/black is I know and Pie Run and Mushroom Pie don’t need maintenance.

Not sure I’d bother with the trip to GT with that many closures, ChrisL’s right that it’s not actually that much of the trail but it is most of my favourite bits. Especially with those trails that don’t exist likely being pretty waterlogged too. But it’s just a couple of weeks.

If only there was some other seven stanes red route just 10 minutes away, eh? :mrgreen:

banginon

There is a £2 parking charge at the weekends at Drumlanrig, but thru the week totally free.

The ‘per person’ charge is what builds the trails tho so don’t grudge it!

No Euro grant millions or tax payers money’s gone into subsidising ‘your’ hobby; so if you’re only down once or twice ‘pay to play’, please. If you’re down more often, join the local bike club or get a season ticket it’ll pay for itself on ride 4.

After that get on with enjoying our more organic take on trails…

Northwind

Ever thought about an honesty box? We were down last week but by the time we were done riding everything was closed up.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘GT mostly closed.’ is closed to new replies.