Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • GT Fury
  • bigthorn
    Free Member

Did i mishear it on Fort William coverage or is aluminium the future GT have gone from carbon back to aluminiun on the fury

legend
    Free Member

yup back to Alu……. for now

tony24
    Free Member

Apparently the moulds are to expensive to remake so they used Ali instead and have said they may make carbon in the future. Suppose it depends how well the riders do on the bike

bigthorn
    Free Member

Also claimed Alu one is lighter than carbon

STATO
    Free Member

Also claimed Alu one is lighter than carbon

Old carbon one, you can bet they will be making carbon version of this one next year once theyve ridden it for a year and decided geo is exactly what they want (since GT got burned on that aspect in the previous version) and that they dont need it to be 650B compatible. Did you note that Warner mentioned Byrce’s V10 is around 33lb, wow!

zero-cool
    Free Member

The original carbon Fury was ‘over built’ to increase strength. This was because they didnt want it breaking and carbon DH bikes getting a rep for being weak. After all it was one of the first mass produced carbon DH bikes (excluding some boutique brands). And they admitted at the time that weight loss wasn’t their goal.

Rode one a few years ago and even though it has ‘out dated’ geometry it was brilliant for a lot of UK tracks that non-pros ride (Triscombe, FOD, Cwmcarn, etc) my only complaint was the TT was to short for my liking as I’ve always preferred a longer bike. Most people don’t need a super slack HA and in actual fact I think it can be a hinderance when the track isn’t super steep, open or fast.

Tom KP

06awjudd
    Free Member

Nice to see an Alu bike winning both men’s and women’s. Bikes like the V10 are without a doubt impressively light, but it clearly is more important to have well thought out geometry and leverage ratio’s.

I suspect they’ll be producing a carbon Fury in not too long though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The carbon mould they had made for the original was for 26ers, and so they had to smash it in to a million little pieces. The new carbon one will, of course, be a 27.5er. Or is the latest buzzword 650b? I just can’t keep up.

06awjudd
    Free Member

The new carbon one will, of course, be a 27.5er.

Will it? I was under the impression it hadn’t really caught on in DH yet.
    If they are winning on 26″, I doubt they will be in a rush to change, unless we start seeing some more fast looking 650B bikes getting on the podium

mikey74
    Free Member

One of the women was riding a 650b.

iain1775
    Free Member

Nice to see an Alu bike winning both men’s and women’s. Bikes like the V10 are without a doubt impressively light, but it clearly is more important to have well thought out geometry and leverage ratio’s.

….and the riders may have played a small part too

mikey74
    Free Member

….and the riders may have played a small part too

Amen. It actually is quite annoying how everyone is commenting on the bike and completely ignoring the skill, fitness and talent of the two riders. They were the two best riders on the day and probably would have won on any of the top DH bikes ridden in the field.

fhendry1
    Free Member
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

In an interview with Jones from DIRT, Gee said he wasn’t quite happy with the geo/size of the old Fury – too short – so they made a custom fit for him. I’m guessing that’s only economically viable by welding tubes rather than forming-up carbon.

Gee also said he didn’t notice any racing advantage riding a 650b version so has stuck with 26″.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘GT Fury’ is closed to new replies.