Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Grumpy sods…
  • cookeaa

I know it’s the old stereotype but riding in this morning only one of the six road cyclists I passed gave a nod/smile, the rest were grim faced misery guts.

I’m putting it down to my not having the “right gear” all the grumpys had proper guards and looked like “Proper” roadies on their winter bikes, myself and the one friendly rider I encountered were guard-less fools (it’s not that wet today round this way TBH) and I know I stick out as “an MTBist on a Road bike” rather than one of the elite…

Or is it just a seasonal thing with the cold and dark? Does a touch of SADS make cyclists generally grumpier on the commute in?

I was in a relatively good mood despite road conditions and still having a cold (Seems like I’ve had it for almost a month now).

I fear that the imminent arrival of some guards on my road bike might make me into a grumpy plum too, so say it ain’t so, that I can be dry and happy…

drofluf
    Free Member

I know had the same thing taking my son to school. I waved at all the other car drivers and none of them waved back.

Grumpy sods the lot of ’em. They could tell I’m not a proper driver, just a cyclist in a car….

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

This pops up now and again. When I’m walking to work I wave at everyone else walking. I get some right funny looks and the only person to take any notice was a policeman who looked genuinely concerned for me…

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I’m normally in the “say hello to everyone” camp, I pass so many riders on my commute that I’d constantly be saying hello. Consequently I ignore most people.

Bregante

That sounds dreadful OP. poor you.

cookeaa

That sounds dreadful OP. poor you.

I know, I’m not used to this sort of misserable, down cast behaviour, I live in the South not Yorkshire FFS!

what’s going on?

andrewy

Don’t worry about it. In their minds the’re all taking part in a Rapha video and therefore are unable to show any pleasure in cycling at all.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

cookeaa perhaps they could sense how immature you are. Honestly, posting a long winded post because someone didn’t wave to you, what age are you. Grow up for **** sake.

transapp
    Free Member

I think it’s because you’re ugly and they are afraid of catching the moose face.

scaled
    Free Member

If you commute every day you pass a lot of cyclists, it gets to be a bit of a chore to nod/wave/have a cheery word with all of them.

I say hello to everyone that i’ve met on my commute when we’re riding the same route and strava buddies ofc 😉

cookeaa

I think it’s because you’re ugly and they are afraid of catching the moose face.

Actually that could be it I ain’t pretty, specially in the lycra.

No I know what it was, I was wearing my recently acquired Fauxleys, they could smell cheap from across the road and it disgusted them…

cookeaa perhaps they could sense how immature you are. Honestly, posting a long winded post because someone didn’t wave to you, what age are you. Grow up for **** sake.

Yeah! well you’re a smelly face so Bum off!

My point really was that everyone I encountered seemed unusually grim this morning but I could not fathom why, TBH I normally get more positive vibes on the way to work, did I miss some terrible news story or something? There’s not been any popular TV entertainers outed as kiddie fiddlers have there?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

You should read your post again and in a subjective manner think about as a grown man should you really post such nonsense or even care that people wave to you or not.

joao3v16
    Free Member

If cyclists ignoring each other confuses people, how on earth do you cope with travelling on the Tube, in a carriage with dozens of people all utterly intent on avoiding any kind of eye contact or interaction with another human being. It’s hilarious! If you do look at or smile at someone they react like you’re some kind of weirdo who’s just vomitted on their shoes.

cookeaa

I can’t help but care, I’m concerned for my fellow Humans psychological well being and I saw this morning as an indication that perhaps all is not quite right in our collective psyche…

I even care about you fellow bicyclist (not in a gay way) your user name “pebblebeach” suggests a romantic soul, wistfully dreaming of a better, calmer life, your posts suggest that latent spirit is being oppressed and you find yourself pushed towards negativity and Pessimism…. would you like a Hug?

Perhaps I’m a bit too much of a “sunny side up” sort, obviously on STW I am of course a complete twazzle in order to conform to the norm.

But in real life I’m a relatively upbeat fella, I barely ever get punched…

…how on earth do you cope with travelling on the Tube…

I just start fiddling with my rucksack and mumbling in Arabic, I find people seem pretty keen to give you a bit of space then…

cookeaa

Double post…

globalti
    Free Member

As a mountain biker for 22 years who recently went over to the joys of the road I can tell you that roadies often don’t even see other cyclists – riding in a group they will be concentrating so hard on the wheel in front that there simply isn’t time to nod or wave to every cyclist, not to mention that peer pressure, real or imagined, would make them feel silly doing it. The bigger the group the more concentration is needed as the “concertina” effect means that the riders at the back are having to cover their brakes and be ready to put in an effort to catch up at the same time. (The back is not a nice place to ride.)

On top of this mountain biking is about getting out and getting into the landscape, getting happily muddy and having fun whereas road riding is all about cleanliness, purity, style and the finesse of average speeds. As an example Matt Seaton says in his excellent book The Escape Artist, which is about roadie obsession and lore, that if you turned up in a serious peloton with hairy legs and dirty kit you would be ridiculed.

I hope that gives you an insight into the lack of empathy from roadies!

bongo136
    Free Member

I really don’t understand why people get so hung up about this. Does it really bother you so much that you need to tell everyone on the internet?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I waved at every other Mondeo driver on my way to work this morning, not one waved back……… society is finished!!!

windowshopper
    Free Member

LOL at cookeaa’s indefatiguable positive outlook. Bravo, sir!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I even care about you fellow bicyclist (not in a gay way) your user name “pebblebeach” suggests a romantic soul, wistfully dreaming of a better, calmer life, your posts suggest that latent spirit is being oppressed and you find yourself pushed towards negativity and Pessimism…. would you like a Hug?

With a capital ‘h’, no thanks.

IHN

I’m not used to this sort of misserable, down cast behaviour, I live in the South not Yorkshire FFS!

It’s because you live in the South. People in the South are more miserabler, fact. So much so that me and her are moving back up North, where strangers don’t look at each other like dirt (when they even acknowledge each other at all).

If you’d have been riding t’up North you’d have been getting bored of all the cries of “eh up!”, “sithee, ‘appen” and “‘ow’s tha ridin’?” from fellow cyclists, whilst they doff their flat caps in your direction 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My thoughts are that the people on here who say ‘why are you bothered about’ etc, are probably the ones who wouldn’t acknowledge anyway. *waves*

Sandwich

*waves* at cookeaa and pebblebeach (one to maintain the positive vibe and one to encourage).

🙂 <—just for pebble

chr15
    Free Member

I’m with you Cookeaa: A nod and a smile whether you’re on an Argos special or Italian exotica! To assume mutual goodwill just because we’re all pushing two wheels along with our feet is naive, but to culture it because it makes riding feel less like taking on the car army single handedly and because sometimes cyclists need each other’s help can only be a good thing.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Did I say I don’t give a sign of recognition to other cyclists? I generally do but I couldn’t give a flying **** if they nod back or not.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Can’t help but be reminded of Curb Your Enthusiasm…

Larry: I waved to a guy in a Prius and he didn’t wave back.
    Jeff: I don’t wave to people in the same car as me.
    Larry: We’re Prius drivers; we’re a special breed.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Usually give a nod, if eye contact is made, but during a commute, in particular, I’m concentrating so much on being not, almost, murdered to death, by traffic, that I don’t/can’t acknowledge everyone.
    I’m reeeeeally sorry if I’ve upset anyone by this crass behaviour.

ads678

My thoughts are that the people on here who say ‘why are you bothered about’ etc, are probably the ones who wouldn’t acknowledge anyway.

They probably don’t say thank you if you hold the door open for them either.

Pebblebeach-I think you need a trip to your username for some R&R. Cheer up, it’s nearly Christmas!!

cookeaa

I’m with you Cookeaa: A nod and a smile whether you’re on an Argos special or Italian exotica! To assume mutual goodwill just because we’re all pushing two wheels along with our feet is naive, but to culture it because it makes riding feel less like taking on the car army single handedly and because sometimes cyclists need each other’s help can only be a good thing.

Precisely…

Did I say I don’t give a sign of recognition to other cyclists? I generally do but I couldn’t give a flying **** if they nod back or not.

Are you sure?

I mean this thread which you have already stated to be meaningless and immature nonsense on a topic you care nothing about still seems to be eliciting responses from you… The offer of a Hug still stands, I think you could use it…

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Pebblebeach-I think you need a trip to your username for some R&R. Cheer up, it’s nearly Christmas!!

Maybe I’m being miserable because my mum past away a couple of weeks ago after a hard fight with cancer.

ads678

Maybe I’m being miserable because my my past away a couple of weeks ago after a hard fight with cancer.

Cos I knew that didn’t I………

I am genuinely sorry for your loss though.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have noticed the same sort of thing – there’s about 4 guys I pass every time I ride and only one or two ever say “Hi” – the guy the silly beanie with flames on it, and the Dutch chap who I stopped to check on if he needed any help when he had a flat.

The others [interestingly in full Lycra] are far too stern faced to even look up!

Really I just think it’s a shame not to share a cheery “Hi” or wave, esp. in the grim winter months.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

At least I have an excuse for being what you call ‘miserable’ though and I won’t always be. Those of you fretting about not being waved back at will always be immature.

Cos I knew that didn’t I………

Nice time for a bit of sarcasm btw.

GaryLake
    Free Member

The amount of times some super cheery cyclists nods or waves hello as I’m riding by on my own in a total world of my own, only for it to register after I’ve passed them that I’ve essentially just ignored them.

Don’t take it personally… road biking is mundane at best and it’s easy to drift off!

fasthaggis

I can’t help but care, I’m concerned for my fellow Humans psychological well being and I saw this morning as an indication that perhaps all is not quite right in our collective psyche..

Sadly some of those grummpies may have just

..lost a kitten,puppy,tadpole
    .. had someone from their family die/walk out on them.
    ..been attacked by a smiling loon.
    ..lost their job
    .. had more than enough about the feast of santa ,and it is now making them feel like finding a high bridge somewhere.

and then you come along with your weird smile/wave combo .

I wave/smile like a loon at other cyclists,but I am not so precious that I need any response .

Love and peas 😆

GSuperstar
    Free Member

@pebblebeach – it worries me that you can’t read the underlying tone of humour in cookeas posts.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I commute in london and always nod/smile at virtually every cyclist I see, but sometimes I’m put off by certain people who I just know will not return the favor, so I save myself the embarrassment of nodding to a brick wall.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

GSuperstar – mmm and you can’t read the underlying humour in mine. Doh.

But you really shouldn’t let things like that worry you anyway. So many sensitive souls.

ads678

Nice time for a bit of sarcasm btw.

Balls, I said i was sorry for your loss, but there was no need to bring the big guns and hit me with “someones recently died of Cancer” as a retort to some light hearted banter.

I am still sorry for your loss, but you need to recognise when banter is just that! And if that was ‘underlying humour’ you really are a sick puppy!

cookeaa

…underlying tone of humour in cookeas post…

Eh? I’ve been deadly serious throughout…

pebblebeach, Sounds like I was right, you do need a Hug, Sorry for your loss…

As for the general commuting malaise, I’m going to see what it’s like on the way home, I was going into the wind this morning so those going the other way had it easy, I hope the stress of a day at work coupled with more effort to pedal home doesn’t tip them over the edge into random act of violence against cheerful strangers…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Grumpy sods…’ is closed to new replies.