Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Grumpy Mark may finally breathe a sigh of relief
  • Stoner
    Free Member

“Website operators are in principle liable as publishers for everything that appears on their sites, even though the content is often determined by users,” said Justice Secretary Ken Clarke.

“But most operators are not in a position to know whether the material posted is defamatory or not and very often – faced with a complaint – they will immediately remove material.

“Our proposed approach will mean that website operators have a defence against libel as long as they identify the authors of allegedly defamatory material when requested to do so by a complainant.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18404621

Sounds pretty reasonable. But help a luddite out here, if my IP address is dynamic, I assume that BT or somesuch keep a log somewhere that records what telephone number (Landline or Mobile) is using a given IP address at a given time yes?

And what about mobile phones with no account details – I havent bought pay as you go sim for many years, but does one give name details when you have a data package or can you still use a SIM as an anonymous “burner”?

jota180
    Free Member

I use an anonymous proxy a lot of the time – so they’d have absolutely no idea who posted something

Stoner
    Free Member

Wasnt there an idea mooted of micro charging for something like facebook, just 10p say, so that you could use financial bona fides checks as a proxy for checking id yourself?

Cougar

Not seeing the problem here TBH. Is not posting objectional content a difficult thing?

wwaswas

I use an anonymous proxy a lot of the time

surely the proxy server must ‘know’ the IP address you’re using even if it’s not transmitted to the site your visiting?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use a poxy server quite a lot of the time.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

to those using a proxy, why?

footflaps

As a member of the Royal Family, I use a Proxy to keep the tabloids from tracing my true identity.

HRH Duke of Edinburgh

GrahamS

Cougar

They’ve run out of tinfoil.

ourmaninthenorth

I assume that BT or somesuch keep a log somewhere that records what telephone number (Landline or Mobile) is using a given IP address at a given time yes?

Yes. And they have teams who will, when presented with a court order or a police warrant under RIPA, release that information.

TBH, all it seems to be is the creation of a small safe harbour near the existing defamation defences.

jota180
    Free Member

couple of reasons

Work blocks too many things through their servers
    I’m away a good bit and it’s handy for iPlayer etc

surely the proxy server must ‘know’ the IP address you’re using even if it’s not transmitted to the site your visiting?

I have a choice of proxies from all over the world, I can’t imagine a lot of them giving up the details if the need ever arose TBH

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Grumpy Mark may finally breathe a sigh of relief’ is closed to new replies.