Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Grrrrrr, ghetto tubeless, what am I doing wrong?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My old conti gravity UST's could be inflated without sealent on mavic en321 rims with (not quite, but cheepo DIY) stans strips with a mini pump and no sealent!

How come my new non UST conti's just wont go up even with a track pump!

New combination:
    DT 4.2 rim
    Conti explorer with snakeskin sidewalls, steel bead, non UST.

I've tried……….

Gheto with just a valve and electrical tape – no joy
    Ghetto with just valve, electrical tape and washing up liquid – no joy
    Ghetto with bmx tube, split and hanging off the rim, tyre over the top, washing up liquid and some water to get it foaming – no joy
    Ghetto stans strip (cut the innertube down to fit the rim well) and washing up liquid – no joy

What haven't I tried? Got a huge stock of nearly new normal tyres so don't want to buy more UST ones.

And don't want to start wasting expensive sealent untill I've at least managed to seat it on the rim temporerily.

Time to bite the bullet and buy a compressor? How many litres does the tank need to be, and how big a motor would I need to do some light shot blasting (its other likely job).

righty
    Free Member

It should be obvious but the looser the tyre the harder it will be to seat. You have two choices: if you are determined to use that tyre then build up the rim with a few layers of gaffer tape then electrical tape until it is a tighter fit or ditch that tyre and use one that is a tighter fit.
    on compressors I have one of the aldi ones that has a 2.5HP and 25 litre tank it comes with lots off accessories for about £70

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm, the tyres are b****** tight to get on and off the rim, assumed that would be tight enough.

Will add more layers of innertube and electrial tape to the rim well tonight to see what effect that has.

Anyone know when Aldi will next have compressors?

tron
    Free Member

Standard small compressor has a 25L tank. Flow rate is the key thing, so take valve cores out if you can, and use 10mm hosing. Motor size does not matter for pumping up tyres. Cheap ones are £60 on ebay.

Shotblasting is one of the most air intensive thing you can do with a compressor. So I'd forget it. Makes using air tools / paint spraying look like light duty work, to the point that most shotblasting compressors are designed soley for that job.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Steel Bead

I had this problem with my steel beaded High rollers when I wasn't with Kevlar beaded Nics (and more recently on replacing the HR with a kevlar beaded one was easier too).

The advice I got (which worked) was to turn the tyre inside out and leave it for 20 mins or so (about one beer, iirc). This helps push the bead out a bit.

may or may not work for you but it did for me (still needed a track pump though)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'll turn it inside out and add a few more strips of innertube to the rim and see what happens,

Does removable cores mean going to shrader valves? Or is there a trick I'm missing with the presta ones?

tron
    Free Member

Prestas may well flow enough with cores in. I'd take the tyres down to a car tyre fitting place and see if they can blast them on with their airline. If they can, you know that a compressor will do the job for you.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

you can remove some presta cores but not most. Schwalbe tubes have removable Presta cores, which is what I use to ghetto with.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm, I make my strips from cheep decathlon BMX tubes as theyr the only ones I've found with presta valves.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Schwalbe BMX tubes

I got 16" instead of 20" ones by mistake 🙄 . They work fine but are an absolute c**t to get on the rim the first time, will get 20" ones next time…

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Mekanic in shop sed 2 put fethers from duckdown pilow inside so the fethers make the selent stik 2 the tire not go to the botom

takisawa2

I found pressing the tyre against the rim around the valve area helped to effect a seal long enough for it to take shape, then it was a case of lots & lots of pumping.

What about brushing sealant around the bead before pumping ?

What about running a bead of silicon between the rim & bead before pumping ?

Or give up. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mekanic in shop sed 2 put fethers from duckdown pilow inside so the fethers make the selent stik 2 the tire not go to the botom

I'm gettin good init, only took lik 3 tempts to reed dat

From experience the latex dries out fairly evenly accross the carcas so I presume its failry well dispersed.

Daffy

Mark Datz – Member

Jeeesus 🙄

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Jeeesus 🙄

Haha, yeah this guy is class…he even has his own thread…
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-am-enjoying-mark-datzs-contributions-to-the-forum

eviljoe
    Free Member

Go to your local garage and use their compressor. THe old fashioned good kind, not the ones you have to pay for which have no puff at all- all you need is a hell of a lot of air travelling very quickly!!

knott4me
    Free Member

not very helpfull i know but ditch that pile of rubbish & get some proper ust rims.

these kits are a joke & you are well on the way to saving for some proper ust rims with the price of them kits.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

these kits are a joke & you are well on the way to saving for some proper ust rims with the price of them kits.

Dude he's not talking about the kits…he's talking about ghetto tubeless. And no, UST rims are not the future, stans is!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Grrrrrr, ghetto tubeless, what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.