Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Grrrrrr. Bloody martial arts/New Model Army
  • sc-xc

How’s this for a dilemma?

I am a massive, massive New Model Army fan. Have been for 20 or so years, and my son’s middle name is Sullivan after the main man. I get my tattoos done by Joolz, and their gigs have provided some of the best nights out I have ever had.

Just had a phone call from my neice.

“Hi Uncle Tom, I was in this video for my mate’s band – they are supporting the Army in Brixton and I have guest list spots….do you fancy it?”

Me – brilliant! when?

“Friday 16th at Brixton”
    —————————–

On Saturday 17th I have a 7 hour 1st dan grading (pretty much the last five years has been leading up to this.)

I have declined, but I am gutted.

If you are interested, here is the video. My niece is the girl in the second half…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbyKUC22Fo8[/video]

racefaceec90

you can always take out your frustration on a concrete block with your forehead 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

1st dan grading can be rescheduled, surely?
    Gig with extras can not, can it?
    No brainer.

sc-xc

The next time I can do it is June (and I have been training up to this date)

I imagine my niece will get a few more backstage passes in her time 😯

tazzymtb

sorry as an old militia NMA all the way, get ya cloggs out man!

sc-xc

Were you proper militia Tazzy? What era were you?

tazzymtb

followed the army all over europe in the early 90’s

sc-xc

Which tours? Our paths will have definitely crossed…

Did 90-94 myself (including a few trips over the channel)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I saw them at Bingley Little Theatre in 1983/84 with Joolz, Wild Willi Beckett and others (possibly Skeletal Family), I think it was a miners benefit gig, does that make me Militia? Slade the Leveller was very scary looking, sort of how I imagine Tazzy looks. 😉

sc-xc

I know B.A.Nana. It makes you pretty cool in my book (I don’t want to hear about the Crass gigs 😉 )

Also – if Muddydwarf is listening, I am also jealous that he go to see Culture Shock. And has had Rev Hammer sleep on his settee.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I don’t have much to brag about.

sc-xc

Slade the Leveller was very scary looking,

He’s a lovely guy, and Joolz is really nice as well. They have loads of time for the snivelling sycophants like me!

tazzymtb

B.A.Nana it makes you rather jolly cool in my books as well, just like all the old alternatives on here.

I was a delicate looking little soul with a massive mohawk and celtic tats and rather a lot of metal work in my face, whereas today i’m a mild mannered normal looking business man 😉

sc-xc

LOL – that was all of us!

Perhaps the more relevant question….what did you have painted on the back of your jacket/kit bag?

tazzymtb

thunder and consolation on the bag, ghost of cain on the jacket 😀

rexated
    Free Member

Perhaps the more relevant question….what did you have painted on the back of your jacket/kit bag?

T & C celtic graphic of course 😀

[off to find details of the brixton gig]

yunki
    Free Member

right.. I don’t know much about this cos I’m a bit too young.. but I thought you were just playing soldiers until you lived in the park with a dog on a string and a can of special brew..?

sc-xc

From that era – you’ll know Tony, Danny, Husky, Colin, Dan…?

sc-xc

I had the Culture Shock logo on my bag, Levellers ‘Riot’ on my jacket. Most seen in Hippies With Attitude T-shirt…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Did i hear my name spoken??? 🙂

I had the immortal Hippies With Attitude shirt – only sold at Manchester at the end of the Impurity tour if i recall?

Off to see NMA on Thursday actually, i feel kinda sad that my days of trotting round Europe with a kitbag and a pair of para-clogs are far behind me now 🙁 Will be good to see all the old faces again though.

sc-xc

I got mine from Hyde Park Muddy…

(supporting the Mission. I remember we went to the ‘warm up’ at Digbeth a couple of nights before….that was messy!)

tazzymtb

so, sc-xc are going to the gig now, powered by nostalgia or being a sensible grown up?

I could/can never bring myself to go back to gigs. Bands that were angry young men with a message have all turned into sad old gits with no more message other than we achieved nothing, we changed nothing, can we have some more of your cash please. 😕

sc-xc

NMA aren’t like that Tazzy. Yes, they are older – but if you listen to anything they have done recently you will hear they are still relevant.

But I know what you mean, I could never go to an allnighter again (not without the drugs 😉 )

Perhaps we should have a STW gig night!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I certainly won’t be throwing myself around in the mosh circles at the front that’s for sure – my knees and other joints won’t take it, and i doubt i’d be able to walk afterwards!

tazzymtb

sc-xc, I still like them , but strange brotherhood really was the last album I listened to as for me, they just seemed to sink into a pit of mediocre grump, with no real passion. It’s probably just be me that caught a dose of the “middle age” though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m the same as Tazzy, Steve Ignorant has started doing Crass gigs under some other name, I just think the whole thing would be cringe worthy, certainly none of the others wanted anything to do with it, good luck to him like.
    Tazzy might be interested in this Subhumans gigs

sc-xc

I certainly won’t be throwing myself around in the mosh circles at the front that’s for sure – my knees and other joints won’t take it, and i doubt i’d be able to walk afterwards!

Which is why I couldn’t possibly do a 7 hour grading the day after…

but strange brotherhood really was the last album I listened to as for me, they just seemed to sink into a pit of mediocre grump, with no real passion

They agree. It was a real low point in their career. Listen to Anything since. For example…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcZqFuaXVA[/video]

sc-xc

(and B.A.Nana – cheers for the SH link. I love Dick 😉 )

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Must. Refrain. From… o sod it! 🙂

tazzymtb

nice vid, compare and contrast with something from the 80’s/90’s and see all the fat middle aged IT geezers trying to regain their youth and it makes me sad, but that’s just me. In answer to an earlier question, never “proper” militia as I spent too much time following other bands as well and was a wee scrote hanger on 😀

sc-xc

Who else Taz? For me it was mainly: Levs, BTTP, Senser, Chumbas, RDF, Poppies…

And I know what you mean about the following now – but the music still is ace 😀

tazzymtb

FoTN, Rosetta Stone, Creaming Jesus, END-G saw senser lots as well

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

sc-xc, do you live in the Leeds/Bradford area? just curious with yer ref to visiting joolz for artwork.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I always found that those who considered themselves to be ‘militia’ were in the main a bunch of arrogant and elitist cock-strokers…

sc-xc

Ahhhhh, so you were a bit gothier than me! Bloody Goths. No wonder you ride silly bikes now. I bet you used to knock around with John the Drummer 😉

It’s all good. I still love live music, and I am stupidly looking forward to seeing Professor Green next year (it’s for my son, don’t tell him I’m excited!)

sc-xc

MD – that’s why I asked. I was just a normal Army fan, but it seems so was Taz.

BA – nope. Have visited her in Stoke and at (the ill fated) Bradford Ink. I’m delighted she has her own studio in Bradford now. It reminds me of the pilgrimage we used to make to Walkleys, and the little place in Bradford that sold the silver NMA pendants!

tazzymtb

sc-xc the goth ladies were far prettier and pale skin in black lace and corsets is soooooo much more appealing than a manky jumper and paraboots 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oh yeah, those pendants – weren’t they originally made by a bloke called Gilly who had a little shop in the Walkleys factory?

I’m still wearing a silver knotwork ring made by him nearly 25yrs later!

sc-xc

Taz –

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

tazzymtb

my old walkley mill boots finally died a couple of years ago, it was period of mourning 🙁

normal Army fan

surely an oxymoron! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Grrrrrr. Bloody martial arts/New Model Army’ is closed to new replies.