Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Grrrrr – Get a grip Apple.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They used to be decent, but now the are ******* hopeless. Worse than Microsoft. How ******* difficult can it be to check that software updates dont screw everything up before you release them. ******* useless shower of *****.

Anyone got any ideas how I roll back to a previous state on a mac?

mrmo
    Free Member

time machine? you did do a backup before the update didn’t you? Which update??

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What’s it gone and ‘screwed up’? It can’t be everything.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Well it has made the machine slow to an absolute crawl and itunes is gubbed. Will probably just take all my files off it and do a clean install.

Jamie
    Free Member

Which update? Was it the one that loads User Error V1.4?

8)

CountZero

Microsoft’s recent Windows Phone 7 update trashed loads of Samsung phone owner’s smartphones, some were totally bricked. I’ve never yet, in fifteen years of using Apple stuff, had an update that’s totally screwed up my machine or device. There are tens of millions of Apple products out there, so it’s inevitable that there will be a percentage where something goes wrong. It’s impossible to create a 100% flawless product. Shit happens, get over it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Innit though? 🙄

I don’t dare update my PC. It’s screwed up enough as it is. Can you even update them? I think I tried once, but it weren’t having it. 🙁

zokes
    Free Member

Get a Mac. Oh….

Jamie
    Free Member

Microsoft’s recent Windows Phone 7 update trashed loads of Samsung phone owner’s smartphones, some were totally bricked. I’ve never yet, in fifteen years of using Apple stuff, had an update that’s totally screwed up my machine or device. There are tens of millions of Apple products out there, so it’s inevitable that there will be a percentage where something goes wrong. It’s impossible to create a 100% flawless product. Shit happens, get over it.

Wow. Didn’t see that coming…..

bananaworld
    Free Member

Just use System Restore to undo the changes made by the update.

woffle
    Free Member

did you do a permissions repair etc before installing? Not sure whether they still recommend doing one but I do it out of habit…

Jamie
    Free Member

Just use System Restore to undo the changes made by the update.

Someone hasn’t woken up yet 😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

There has been the same issue with the last software update for the Ipod Touch, battery life is now less than a day rather than the four or five days I used to get. And they have frigged the system so that its not possible to roll back to an earlier version that doesn’t have the problem. Apple have been aware of this since the middle of last year and have done nothing about it.

rickmeister

SBZ, you must be unfortunate, I have never had a update problem over 15 years…. Windowz however stuffs the computer everytime I do an update

Done the reboot thing, turn off auto update
    Was it a Microsoft Update or an Apple OS one? I ask as we have had a Microsoft one that semi – stuffed the laptop for a while…

As mentioned, Time machine off your backup drive….

Im sorry I cant help more as its never happened to me… Now if it was a PC, thats another matter.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

just had this on my mini mac/timemachine set up – updated Itunes and it all went pear shaped

time machine couldn’t find a internet connection and wouldn’t work, just needed a reboot of the mac/tm and bthomehub before tinternet and backups started working again, why itunes update did this – no idea

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well it has made the machine slow to an absolute crawl and itunes is gubbed. Will probably just take all my files off it and do a clean install.

install and run applejack (free)

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Thought that’s what time machine is there for?

I’m a mac convert, bought an iMac, now looking longingly at macbook pros…

zokes
    Free Member

Windowz however stuffs the computer everytime I do an update

You must be very unlicky then. I’ve never had a problem with XP, Vista or 7, or the much-maligned vista64 actually, which seems to work better than all of them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes you have, don’t lie.

Every single person on Earth who uses Windoze has had problems with it at some stage or another. Mostly simply because it’s a crap operating system.

aracer
    Free Member

Every single person on Earth who uses Windoze has had problems with it at some stage or another.

Unlike Macs. Oh…

jon1973
    Free Member

Wow. Didn’t see that coming…..

See what?
    [img]http://www.leclerclooms.com/chien2.gif[/img]

jon1973
    Free Member

Every single person on Earth who uses Windoze has had problems with it at some stage or another. Mostly simply because it’s a crap operating system

yawn

bassspine
    Free Member

Apple: “they just work”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

yawn

Getting bored waiting for your PC to do something? 😉

Apple: “they just work”

Unlike my PC, which won’t do half the things asked of it, such as connect to tinternet, even though the wireless settings are all configured correctly, the router is in the same room as it, God knows why it won’t stupid flipping thing I’ve given up with it.

Macs are generally far more stable and reliable than Windoze PCs. Everyone I know with a PC has issues with it on a daily basis. Several people have converted to Macs, and bin well pleased. No-one has gone from Mac to PC though. Wonder why?

aracer
    Free Member

Everyone I know with a PC has issues with it on a daily basis

Well the subset of people you know must have no intersection with the subset of people I know – I don’t know anybody who has problems with Windows on a daily basis. I haven’t ever had an issue with Windows on the PC I’m typing on – a nice modern Windows 7 ultraportable. It just sits there in the background doing it’s thing. Getting networking working was simply a case of opening the network connections app, selecting the detected router, and entering the security key – how easy is that? It just works.

Meanwhile in work I’m having all sorts of issues sorting out the networking on our nice new servers with the very latest version of Linux.

I suspect the issue the fanbois have is that they’re comparing an expensive new Mac with a cranky old cobbled together Windows PC.

No-one has gone from Mac to PC though. Wonder why?

Because they’re kind of committed once they’ve spent all that money?

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S tried to go from PC to Mac. Lasted about 3 days before she dumped the Mac and went back to her Dell. Terrible machine for business. She was daft to have considered it – all because one of the designers though a common platform would be good for the startup business.

MBP sitting behind me, unused, unloved. ‘orrible thing.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Give it to me then, I will love it. 🙂

Cougar

Several people have converted to Macs, and bin well pleased. No-one has gone from Mac to PC though. Wonder why?

Numbers. It’s not a fair comparison. The PC user base is an order of magnitude larger.

What you’re saying here is, out of a hundred PC owners, several have bought Macs. Out of several Mac owners, none have bought PCs. Go Apple!

Windowz however stuffs the computer everytime I do an update

It’s broken, then.

Every single person on Earth who uses Windoze has had problems with it at some stage or another. Mostly simply because it’s a crap operating system.

my PC, which won’t do half the things asked of it,

I’ve given up with it.

There’s a common theme here. Clue: it’s not the computer.

I maintain, professionally, hundreds if not thousands of Windows machines, daily. I can categorically state that my experience does not match these here, and with a sample pool larger than “one” I suspect perhaps that my data may be slightly more representative than yours.

On a point of pedantry, “Windoze” (pass me a needle and thread) isn’t an operating system, it’s a family of operating systems dating back many years. Grouping them all together is akin to me slagging off the iPad on the grounds that I’ve got a Newton that’s crap.

Cougar

Give it to me then, I will love it.

Do that, then he can give me his PC and stop bloody moaning about it.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

The best thing I ever did to my MBP was ditch OSX and install Windows 7, Now it does “just work” OSX is the biggest pile of shonky software possible.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can always rely on some boring Windoze geeks to come out and defend the shonky rubbish, eh? 🙄

Come on. Windoze is rubbish. We all know it. W7 is only an improvement cos they’ve nicked all the good ideas for the OS off of Apple. 😀

There’s a common theme here. Clue: it’s not the computer.

So come on then clever clogs; I’m not someone with a degree in computer operating, yet I can sort out everything that I might have issues with on my Mac. Nothing has foxed me yet. My PC, I don’t even know what’s wrong with it. One minute wireless was working, now it won’t. Why? Nothing has changed. It won’t even tell me there’s a connection issue, it just won’t connect. Every time I start it up, stupid boxes flash up on screen, saying ‘Run DLL file is missing’ or something. I have no idea what that even means. What does it mean? I don’t speak Geek.

Probbly cos I plugged in an MP3 player or HD or something, and it panicked and went wrong. Stupid crappy software.

On my Mac, it would tell me exactly what is wrong, and how to sort it. And it’s never owt serious.

You can wibble on about ‘user error’, and you might be some computer whizz, but most of us aren’t, we just want the flipping things to work propply.

For Masochists, there’s Windoze.

For everyone else, there’s Mac.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The best thing I ever did to my MBP was ditch OSX and install Windows 7, Now it does “just work”

Ha ha! That’s like buying a Ferrari, ripping out the engine and putting a Vauxhall Corsa engine in instead!

Just bloody daft.

zokes
    Free Member

Well, lets see:

Of all the apple users I know, every one of them has had an issue with an OS update in the past year. Of the PC users I know, noone has. Whilst it’s hardly scientific, it’s a good cross section of machines, most favouring the macs as they’re all a lot newer than some of the PCs on XP.

Curiously, my friend’s PowerMac is the worst offender.

As for issues with the PC I use most, 2 years old running visa64, so far the only hardware it’s had a problem with is my iPod, the only software, iTunes after an iTunes update. Apple are very good at designing pretty boxes and pretty operating systems, but seeing as OSX is based on Unix anyway, they’ve done a pretty good job of ballsing up a good OS.

Amusingly, as Chris (PowerMac owner) and I have the same cameras, LR2 64 on mine crunches files much faster than his, despite him having twice as many processors. Both 8GB RAM, both 3.2 Quad core, he just has two of them in there.

Ha ha! That’s like buying a Ferrari, ripping out the engine and putting a Vauxhall Corsa engine in instead!

Hmmm, if your knowledge of PCs extends this far, then you’d probably be better not posting on any more computer threads. For a start, an engine is HW, OS is SW. HTH

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Blah blah blah Zokes. You’ll make up owt to try to win an argument, won’t you? 🙄

Hmmm, if your knowledge of PCs extends this far, then you’d probably be better not posting on any more computer threads.

Says the man using the term ‘PowerMac’ to describe an Intel based machine…

It’s ‘Mac Pro’. HTH.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I tried an iPad the other day. Now, I’m quite proficient with computers and never really have any problems with them…but…

The iPad was ace, dead simple to use and really fun. I have no doubt many of us who don’t need computers for very technical stuff will all be using things like the iPad before too long, just because of it’s simplicity. I can’t understand why I still have to think about permissions, viruses, file structures and all that.

Macs and PCs are all rubbish in comparison.

johnners
    Free Member

Blah blah blah Zokes Fred. You’ll make up owt to try to win generate an argument, won’t you?

Oh, and if you’d spent half the time working on your Windows machine as you’ve spent slagging it off on here, by now you’d have fixed whatever it was you buggered up in the first place.

Pook

Elf. How do you manage to type so well with your keyboard all stuck together as it must be? Do you have a splash guard?

Cougar

Every time I start it up, stupid boxes flash up on screen, saying ‘Run DLL file is missing’ or something. I have no idea what that even means

If you can’t manage to extract an accurate error message and the best you can manage is “… or something” then I’m not surprised you’ve not been able to fix it.

I have no idea what that even means. What does it mean? I don’t speak Geek.

I speak geek, as do many other people, solely so that you don’t have to. You just need be able to read it. If that’s beyond you then again, I’m not surprised that it’s not been fixed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Every single person on Earth who uses Windoze has had problems with it at some stage or another

No-one’s pretending that Windows is perfect and will never break. However lots of people claim that MacOS is. Of course, Macs are computers pretty much like Windows PCs, so they face similar issues, and they break occasionally.

I thought most reports said that all their software ran loads faster when they did this?

Elf – seriously. Give it a rest.

MrSmith
    Free Member

MBP sitting behind me, unused, unloved. ‘orrible thing.

sell it. it will have a higher resale value than a p.c.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Grrrrr – Get a grip Apple.’ is closed to new replies.