Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GRRRRR Garmin and memory map help again!
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

I now have a 100% legit copy of memory map and a garmin etrex vista. this is using a USB to serial converter.

I cannot for the life of me get the two to talk, keep getting timeout errors!

Cable works as does gps and software – anyone help?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cmon fountain of all knowledge

woody2000

Incorrect COM port settings? What COM port number does the USB/serial converter get when you plug it in, and what does memory map think you're using?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

both com port 4

woody2000

Bit rusty, so bear with me. Do both ends of the connection have the same data type/setting – NMEA etc?

clubber
    Free Member

What COM port number does the USB/serial converter get when you plug it in

Mine's changed depending on which USB slot I've plugged it into. I can't recall exactly where but somewhere in control panel->system you can see the com ports and you'll see which one is being used. Or you can just start at 1 and go up 🙂

FWIW, com port used to be 2 and is now 4.

Oh, I originally also had a driver problem – had to find a driver for the USB to serial convertor.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

generic or specific driver?

clubber
    Free Member

Not specific – just something I found on the web. It was a bit of a faff getting it to all work.

druidh
    Free Member

I have a Geko working on a USB port with a serial adapter. There is a driver which needs to be installed. Where did you get the converter? There should have been some instructions with it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

a mate sold me the package, bringing a driver disc over later 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

There's a good chance it's using the Prolific chipset. You could try googling for a driver for that in the mean time.

Edit: In fact, try this one….
    http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GRRRRR Garmin and memory map help again!’ is closed to new replies.