Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Grrrr bloomin' tubeless!
  • momo

After suffering yet another snakebite at the weekend, I followed the advice of some on here and thought I'd try tubeless.

Converted my 719's with a Stans rim strip kit and running 2.4 mountain kings (standard folding ones, not UST) couldn't get them to inflate with a track pump so went to see a friend last night and borrowed his compressor. Both went up first time, sealant went in and they seemed to seal well, I spent plenty of time watching for bubbles and shaking the sealant around wherever I spotted them.

Checked both wheels before I left for work this morning and both were at full pressure, this is about 13 hours after being inflated. Got home tonight and the front is completely flat, and I'm failing once again to get it inflated with a track pump!

Rant over and relax.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Pop a tube in 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Even if you get it inflated; 2.4 tyre on a 719? Are you sure that's going to feel okay??

timraven

Blow it up and slosh the sealant round a bit more, it'll work, once it stays up it's great, honest.

It is easier with ust tyres though, the sidewalls take a lot more punishment IMHO

TheSwede
    Free Member

Mountain kings are shite and a 2.4 feels very unstable on a 719. The carcass moves around a lot if you run them with low pressures which is only when they offer any grip at all. Inflate to around 40psi and they get a bit better but are then lethal on any thing other than tarmac. Mini hijack rant over.

orangefive
    Free Member

Bin the mountain kings and get some proper UST/LUST's – Mountain kings in non UST are pretty cack and porous, there will also no doubt be loads of stans wasted at the sides.

LUST ignitor 2.35's get my vote!

tazzymtb

the swede were you using mountain kings when you fell off riding on the road? 😉

naokfreek
    Free Member

Slight hijack, does anyone have an issue with blocked valves? Even with the core removed mine are airtight, have to get an allen key and poke it through, but then the amount of air being released is small and as for adding more jizz through the valve…next to imposible …but they stay inflated so not all that bad.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why is it every whining thread about tubeless involves folk running non tubeless tires ?

i sense a correlation between these 2 pieces of data ….

schmiken

naokfreek – get some new valve cores. You can just get some old knackered inner tubes and nick them from them.

orangefive
    Free Member

agree with rat – only certain tyres are any good for non tubeless…uh… tubeless – vertical pros are the only ones that worked for me – otherwise ALLWAYS go UST! 8)

orangefive
    Free Member

naokfreek – take em out and stick em in hot water for a bit, then pull out the rubber shite.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Yep..figured something along those lines, but i'm gaffa tape ghetto so easier said than done, but will be having a tire swap soon so will do so then i guess..ta.

tazzymtb

I've run non-tubeless tyres with stans rims for a few years and have no issues. It's easy peasy, some folks are just ham fisted clowns that obviously;

A. don't read instructions
    B. don't spend the time to prep the job properly
    C. don't have big enough arms from looking at "special interest" internet sites to use a track pump fast enough

the amount of threads posted on here where folks haven't used soapy water, done the sloshy wheel wiggle or have tried to ghetto it using a length of garden hose two hamsters and a clothes peg and the state that "tubeless is crap it doesn't work" is unbelievable 😀

Northwind

See, I just gave up completely on tubeless without a proper tubeless rim. I use standard tyres, and they work absolutely fine but stans strips and BMX tubes and suchlike are just a heavy, time consuming pain in the balls. IMO of course 😉

Now, standard tyres on a tubeless rim, that's ace. Light, reliable…

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

819's, Lust Highroller, compressor and some jizz. Bish bash bosh – faffless tubless. Not cheap, but relatively easy and work brilliantly.

TheSwede
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

the swede were you using mountain kings when you fell off riding on the road?
    Oi watch it taz, I was using your ignitors. I was using them when I fractured my eye socket and broke my nose in spain though. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

i use non tubeless tires tubeless on a stans 355- i wasnt saying it didnt work. just noting the correlation between moaning threads and non tubeless tires

ime as said above not all tires work tubelessly – gotta pick and choose carefulyl – my kenda SB8s are not reccomended but work well , my schwalbes on the other hand a fooking garbage .

using specialized 2bliss fast traks this summer – nothing needed other than tires on rim , track pump on rim- much easier tire changes in an instant no longer a laborious process = its just like changing a tube with 2bliss dont even have to pump like **** or use fairy liquid ….and not much difference in weight to a comparible sized small block 8 ….

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I use XT UST rims and Maxxis UST tyres – guess what? No issues with tubeless and I wont be changing back. They go up with track pump. Get the real tubeless rims, tyres and some sealant.

tazzymtb

swede- only gently taking the piss, I managed to join the "mangling myself horribly while riding on the easy flat road stuff" club 😀

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Dont have valve issues either. I dont pour sealant in through them and when I inflate or deflate I make sure the valve is at the top away from the sealant puddle in the tyre 😉

stumpy01

Mate of mine tried to go tubeless with Mountain Kings -he had the same problem.

Struggled to get them inflated & then they deflated overnight.

TheSwede
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

swede- only gently taking the piss, I managed to join the "mangling myself horribly while riding on the easy flat road stuff" club
    Good lad. Gota show those stiff backed gravel hogs how to crash with style eh.

orangefive
    Free Member

Im pikey (ghetto) through and through on all bikes I have – Mavic 317s – dont bother with the soap n track pump method – just use co2 and both are done and dusted within half an hour. But experience tells me that I need to at least get the tyres tubeless!!

I ride with a guy that has tubeless rims n tyres but does not believe in putting any sealant in…. I think hes nuts but others may agree…..!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

orangefive

I ride with a guy that has tubeless rims n tyres but does not believe in putting any sealant in…. I think hes nuts but others may agree…..!

He's clearly very wacky. They'll work fine, but any little nick or puncture that could be repaired by a very small quantity of milk will result in a whole load of hassle, so it's a bit silly not to really.

ononeorange

This may sound daft but it caught me out.

I had a struggle recently with a Stan's tubeless conversion going up OK but then deflating overnight (as the OP). Liberal use of a bath of water indicated air merrily coming out of the valve. Schoolboy fail No 1: Make sure that you haven't accidentally loosened the valve core slightly with all that vigorous inflating. I had. Tightened it up with pliers and now the tyres remain as fat as an opera singer in a cake shop.

Tip 2: Don't mess around with Stan's gunk in the bathroom either.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Grrrr bloomin' tubeless!’ is closed to new replies.