Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Grrr Why is something called Windows so useless at organising your Windows ?! gr
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

I'm in windows 7, I like it and I especially like the snap feature, so you can split 2 windows.

But apart from that, what have they ever done to help you use your screen space efficiently

'Tile windows' is rubbish, you always end up with useful stuff blanked off. Stacking wiondows is pointless, and why put so much on the desktop when the chances are you use most of the screen for doing stuff?

New programs start up in random positions, on a small screen especially that's a real pain. Why can't it use some simpple rules to place things so what you want to see is kept visible?…I could go on

I've got a horrible feeling someones going to say macs have this sorted. I've tried a few screen control programs but never got them set up well. I shouldn't have to! grr

Stoner
    Free Member

alt+tab is all you need…. 🙄

yetiguy
    Free Member

get a mac !!

Seemples

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ooOOoo
    Free Member

pffft alt tab is so basic.
    I shouldn't need to go near the keyboard

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – you need the ESP interface. The one where the OS knows exactly what you want, and where. Unlike the 2 billion other users….

grievoustim
    Free Member

sorry

but "spaces" on mac osx is great if you have lots of windows open at once – lets you basically have multiple desktops

so might have one running e-mail/ safari/ twitter client

another with my actual work in – say a word doc

and another running itunes or spotify

helps bring a bit of calm to things

nickjb
    Free Member

Some multi-button mice switch between windows nicely. It works well with duel screens, too.

jon1973
    Free Member

I'm in windows 7, I like it

But apart from that, what have they ever done to help you use your screen space efficiently

'Tile windows' is rubbish, you always end up with useful stuff blanked off. Stacking wiondows is pointless, and why put so much on the desktop when the chances are you use most of the screen for doing stuff?

New programs start up in random positions, on a small screen especially that's a real pain. Why can't it use some simpple rules to place things so what you want to see is kept visible?…I could go on

You clearly don't like it that much. 😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It's all I know 😐
    Some good ideas but I'm talking about filling the whole screen

fubar
    Free Member

I do agree that it could be so much better and Windows 7 is a step in the right direction. Have you tried virtual desktops ? There are a few around…some better than others.TBH I tried a couple but found I wasn't really using them them (I just use Fences to organise my desktop a little). A second monitor helps too as you can then locate/maximise applications into each monitor.
    I'm not sure that "programs start in random positions" is true…programmers can decide where they start usually.

beamers

+1 for Mac and the Expose and Spaces features.

With a simple move of the mouse to a corner (of your choosing) of the screen all of your active "windows" reduce in size so that you can see all of them at the same time, then click on the the application you want and it is brought to the front and fills the screen. That's Expose

Spaces allows you to have up to twelve desktops running at the same time, and by moving the mouse to a different corner of the screen (of your choosing) you can view all of the desktops, then click on the one you want and you go to it.

I have windows 7 running on my iMac so that I can use software not available for the Mac. Windows 7 is utter pants compared to Leopard / Snow Leopard on the Mac.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Just watched the vid for expose, much more like it. Still a lot of wasted space though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Grrr Why is something called Windows so useless at organising your Windows ?! gr’ is closed to new replies.