Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • grrr, debit card skimmed again
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

bank phoned me at tea time, after a faff with me calling them back (as I never give security details when they call me), i get to speak to the banks anti fraud department. seems my card has been skimmed, they had picked up a few refused transactions but 2 or 3 got through since friday, at least one online and one ‘card present’ so seems they have a physical copy of my card.

so card cancelled and I’m back to cash and cheques for the next week.

been through my statement, can’t think where it could have been skimmed. I got my credit card done in the old famous ‘wiggle’ hack, and this is the second time my debit card has been compromised in about a year. I thought I was careful, careful about where I use it, keep hold myself, cover the keypad when entering pin, only used a cash machine inside the secure building I work in.

will banks go to biometrics anytime soon? I can’t remember all my pins and passwords as it is, so more of those aren’t going to help. grrr.

lightman
    Free Member

Do you use it to pay for fuel?

neilnevill
    Free Member

my thoughts have gone that way. yes, but stick to the same 3 or 4 filling stations usually. I used a non-normal one on friday night, it is one I’ve used before a few times, though not often. I didn’t hand the card over, put it in the reader myself, and covered the pad best I can as I entered the pin….i do need to see where my fingers are myself though and often feel a camera would pick up the finger movement and get fairly close.

having not had a credit card for years, I’ve just applied for a new one, at least if a credit card gets skimmed you still have access to your bank account via a debit card, so credit cards seem….’safer’

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Me too, Got the call late Thursday and did the phone back thing same as you, new card arrived Saturday morning all sorted.

Having checked the statement the only time I’ve used the card in the last 6 weeks was one contactless payment and one card reader on the automated till in sainsburys.

Flaperon

Might be worth running virus checker or similar on your computer, maybe they got the details from some keylogging software?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Got avg on the PC and it hasn’t found anything. For a ‘card present’ scam I think they need to have physically skimmed and copied the cv1/cv2 on the card, although I could be wrong. Oh well, 1st world problems….I’m coming to terms with it more now.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What did they try to buy on your card? Mine was an O2 PAYG top up.

paladin

When mine got done, they made a donation to some Christian charity. Apparently they try something small as a test then go big

epicsteve
    Free Member

I got my credit card done in the old famous ‘wiggle’ hack

Was that ever proven one way or the other? At the time it seemed to me like Wiggle were getting the blame but it was more likely that the folks affected had their cards done elsewhere.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

*puts kettle on*

Was it wiggle?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

epicsteve – Member

I got my credit card done in the old famous ‘wiggle’ hack

Was that ever proven one way or the other? At the time it seemed to me like Wiggle were getting the blame but it was more likely that the folks affected had their cards done elsewhere.

Well for me I only used my CC once from new at a certain vendor and it got done straight after. So…

Talking to my bank they were aware of a vendor name.

They quickly added PayPal after.

johnners
    Free Member

I can’t remember all my pins and passwords as it is

Thought about using a password manager, something like LastPass?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I seem to remember Wiggle admitted it, said sorry and with a small (£20) gift to those affected.

I haven’t used wiggle recently this time.

br
    Free Member

I never use my debit card for anything other than getting cash out, having had my CC skimmed many times a few years ago.

And funny how the local fuel station had a different bloke on for a couple of weeks – how was he to know that I’d only used my CC for fuel over those 2 weeks (and I filled up every other day – long commute on a m/c)… 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

i always used to be the same, credit card for everything I could. For some reason which I can’t remember now, I stopped using credit cards. That has just changed again. I’ve applied for a couple, one will be for online only, one for physical shopping, and save the debit card for just cash and the occasional thing where credit cards incur fees. it is safer as the credit provider gives you protection, and in the event of something being skimmed I’m not left resorting to cheques as I am now (still waiting for the replacement card to arrive).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘grrr, debit card skimmed again’ is closed to new replies.