Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Growing Teenage son ,now 6 foot!
  • mountainman

The question is. Do i get him another bike again or just get longer seat post n bar stems till he stops.
    He has gone from 5-2 to 6ft in last 18 mnths and he’s not 16 yet.
    Size 9 to size 12 feet so that tell me he’s still growing .

Well at least his mother could have her trek back if i get him another bike!

Second hand would be a option,but limited market in rural Ireland,was looking at carrera’s as good price n not bad equip wise.

househusband

Bigger frame and transfer all else over..?

Tracey

+ 1 for a bigger frame and move the bits across. We did this with both our girls. We hope that Abigale has finished growing at age 16 and 5′ 10″ and that this is the last time we need to change for size

emac65
    Free Member

As others have already said, get another frame & transfer stuff over. You also have to think about that when he learns to drive he most likely won’t be very interested in riding his bike that much anymore..That’s what both of mine did at 17….
    On the plus side, I ended up with 2 nice bikes 😀

MrNice
    Free Member

Just cos he’s not yet 16 doesn’t mean he’ll keep growing – I never did grow into my 14th birthday present bike 🙁 – but size 12 feet suggest he’s either destined to be a clown or going to be tall.

I’d go for a bigger bike. Watch out that swapping parts over can be more expensive than you think, eg if seatpost diameter is different.

matty456
    Free Member

My son is 16 and 6’3″ !!! Got him a medium genesis latitude complete bike a couple of years ago when he was nearer 5’10”. Just changed everything over to a 456 evo frame in large. It fits him very well and I think he’ll be riding this one more because of it. Go for a bigger frame me thinks!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Rural Ireland you say: Video NSFW.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhqMMruRehY[/video]

IA

I was 6’4″ at 16… not grown since luckily….

alpineharry
    Free Member

i’m 19 and 5′ 10″, i’m just a wee’un in comparison!

househusband

And to restore some balance… I was 6’2″ until my late 30’s and I now seem to be a mere 6’1″.

It works both ways.

wwaswas

My nephew is 15 and 6’4″.

But big with it, not rake like.

[edit] he was nearly 11lb at birth and in the 99th percentile for height though so he had a head start.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Ha… exactly what my son has done…

Built him a beautiful bike, he grew over a foot in a year!!

He is now riding my bike but is growing out of that, his new (mostly secondhand stuff) bike is in the stand as we speak being put together for this weekend, hopefully it’ll last him for a year or two.

As said above…. I touched 6′ at one point, broken back and legs have me down to 5’10”….

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve students who are into the mid-6′ range; I think my tallest is 6’7″. I’m a bit under 6′, but I didn’t ever feel dwarfed by other 16-year-olds at the time, but now loads of them are taller than me.

wwaswas

I didn’t ever feel dwarfed by other 16-year-olds at the time, but now loads of them are taller than me.

I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone was slightly malnourished in the 1970’s and thus we all failed to reach our full potential height together.

miketually
    Free Member

That makes sense – I have size 11 feet so should be taller really 🙂

My 11-year-old daughter is already in size 7 shoes and is nearly as tall as her mam.

leftyboy
    Free Member

My 11 year old son, August baby too, is now 5′ 8″ tall has size 9 feet and is built like a prop forward.

We bought him a new bike last summer and it’s a 17″ 29er which he fits perfectly.

No idea where he gets it from I’m 5′ 10″ my wife’s 5′ 9″ and neither family has a lot of tall, > 6′, people in the past.

Sundayjumper

I was riding a 25″ road bike when I was 13. Granted it was a touch large at that time and a 23″ would have been perfect but I still had growing to do and it actually ended up being a tiny bit on the small side by the time I was 14 and nearly at my current 6’4″. I still have that bike.

But to get back to the OP, swapping the kit onto a newer larger frame makes the most sense IMO.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Growing Teenage son ,now 6 foot!’ is closed to new replies.