Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Groupset conundrum
  • jkomo

Is there any advantage in XT over SLX in the full groupset, including brakes?
    Is it lighter?
    Xt £125 more and I quite like SLX, just don’t want to regret the relatively small saving.

warpcow
    Free Member

Little lighter overall, but not by much and some individual components are lighter (the an old thread on here with weights). The XT shifters are quite a bit nicer imo.

Northwind

I heard from a few places that the SLX jockey wheels are different and less durable- possibly bushings vs bearings, or some such? XT makes a point of the jockeys running on sealed bearings in the description.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    parkesie
    Free Member

A bit lighter and nicer to use shifters and brake levers imo.

chris_db
    Free Member

Shifters are much nicer.

jkomo

Ok, the biggee for me is I have the option of the shadow plus on xt (although another £35).
    The other question is, on rear mech what length cage do I get, does it depend on the cassette ratio’s?

Northwind

Shadow Plus is definitely worth it IMO. Cage length depends on your overall setup- partly cassette but also the number of rings. As long as you’re using the more common cassette sizes, a decent rule of thumb is medium cage for 2 rings, long cage for 3 (and SLX and XT don’t do a short cage).

zelak999
    Free Member

+1 for Shadow Plus

jkomo

Thanks.
    That’s all the info I need!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Groupset conundrum’ is closed to new replies.