Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Groupset Advice
  • bash
    Free Member

This is about the last lot of stuff I need to finish my 09 Trance X5 build 🙂 Can someone take a look through the links to make sure I’m looking at the right stuff please?

Chain

Shifters

Front Mech

Rear Mech

Cassette

Crankset

Just a couple of questions too: Whats the difference between GS and SGS when talking about the rear mech, whats the difference between top/down swing (is it just the way the gear cable routs to the mech?). Finally will the sproket size choice be suitable for a relative
    beginner riding in the peaks, trail centres etc?

Thanks,

Here it is so far, I imagine it wont be to most peoples taste 🙂

nicko74

All looks fine that, and I’m guessing you’ve checked the usual outlets for the cheapest deals?

GS and SGS when talking about the rear mech, whats the difference between top/down swing (is it just the way the gear cable routs to the mech?). Finally will the sproket size choice be suitable for a relative
    beginner riding in the peaks, trail centres etc

GS and SGS is ‘long’ cage vs ‘medium’ cage in the rear mech. Medium is shorter, less close to the ground, perhaps less likely to bounce around or get caught on things. Long is longer, but allows for a greater range in chain length (ie small chainring/ small sprocket to large ring/ large sprocket, although that’s a simplification).
    Sprocket size should be fine and give plenty of range.

What’s the bike?

bash
    Free Member

Its an 09 Giant Trance. Ive looked around and they seem to be the cheapest for the 2013 stuff, just wanted to make sure I hadnt made a stupid mistake before ordering 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

GS and SGS is ‘long’ cage vs ‘medium’ cage in the rear mech

Yes but no,

right answer, wrong way round.

shimano start with ss, then gs and finally sgs. for most a GS is fine, they aren’t really that short.

As for sprocket size, when i started you got 24/30 if you were lucky, gears now are far lower than they used to be, but here is the rub, everyone is unfit when they start, ride more you get better.

Remember alot of the gearing issue is in your head, just because you have a gear doesn’t mean you have to use it, pushing yourself is how you get better and fitter, be it downhill or up.

dantsw13

a full slx group set from actionsports.de is about £200. Bargain!!

bash
    Free Member

Just want to double check before ordering that everything will definately fit? Does anyone know whether I’ll need a top or down swing (09 Giant Trance)?

Thanks

Scapegoat

Bash

The difference between TS and Ds is where the band holds the mech on the seat tube. Top swing is the band sits below the mech,

Down swing the band is above the mech.

You may need to do some checking, but I would think your frame would be better with an E-Type mech, which mounts on a plate fixed to your bottom bracket. E-Type mechs need to be chainset specific, so if you get a triple SLX chainset with 44 T you need to buy the corresponding front mech,, you can rarely mix and match.

Look at the examples on this page
    http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Components/Groupsets/Shimano-SLX-660-10-Komplettgruppe-3×10-fach::28904.html

Scapegoat

Cancel the above, I can’t find an SLX front mech with a BB plate for a double. Does your frame have direct mount lugs? They are threaded lugs on the frame above the bottom bracket? You can see on this pic where teh Direct mount mech is bolted to the frame.

If not, then I would (again) guess you need the top swing dual pull double you ,linked to to suit the Chainset you linked to in your post.

bash
    Free Member

Thanks Scapegoat, looking at the link it’s going to be a Top swing I think (looking at pics of other peoples bikes). Theres no mounts for direct link either 🙁

bash
    Free Member

Hopefully one last question 😉 if I buy a double cranked can I just buy a blackguard and longer chaining bolts or is it more complicated than that?

Any further opinions on chaining sizes with a 11-36 cassette? I think so far people have suggested 36/24 on other forums……..

Scapegoat

No, if you get the SLX 10 speed you linked to you have the option of longer crank bolts and whichever bashguard floats your boat, or leave the outer ring showing all it’s SLX beautifulness and get a BB mounted 40T MRP bashguard like I’ve just ordered to go on my 38/26 M785 XT
    http://www.amazon.com/MRP-Mount-Bashguard-Black-Clear/dp/B005EOEWWY

I’m in the process of altering a triple 9 speed SLX to 2×9. I’ll be going 36t and 24t on a 11-34 9 speed cassette. My son’s old SLX Double and Bash is 36/24.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Groupset Advice’ is closed to new replies.