Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Group Camping 100ish people – Water Boiler
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I am part of a youth organisation that camps a few times a year with approximately 100 people. We have had a couple of Dean Boilers run from propane.

They have lasted really well probably 30 years old or so. The last one finally died this weekend when it was allowed to boil dry for a good while. It now leaks like a sieve and the actual copper inner tank has pin hole in a few places. I have repaired it in the past but the remaining metal is just not thick enough anymore and the folded seams are leaking.

Ideally we need to buy a new one the one below listed on Ebay is too far from Devon and the seller wont post plus they have not been made for a long time so I suspect it may not have many years of life left in it.

We have always used the boiler outside of the main kitchen tent that helps to keep a lot of heat and moisture out of the tent.
    The only real alternatives that I can find are the Burco Catering boilers but they are expensive have a tap that flows pretty slowly for filling up big pans / washing up bowls etc. and they only hold 20 litres so we would need 2 or 3 and would have to put them on a table which then makes filling them awkward. The old one held at least 50 litres.

If anybody has any suggestions or designs, we can fabricate most things as a group.

null

globalti
    Free Member

Why don’t you ask around some suppliers of used production equipment? Hot water or steam are often used to heat jacketed mixing vessels. However I’m not sure if the boilers would be small enough or would accumulate drinkable water. Worth a try anyway – I have sent you a PM with a list of suppliers. I hope this helps.

bensales
    Free Member

Regarding the Ebay one… another forum I partake in has a concept of an ‘underground railroad’. When people want to order things they too far away from, they put out a call with the collection and delivery points. Other then volunteer to transport legs of the journey that coincide with journeys they’d normally be making.

So no-one is going out of their way, but the item makes it’s way gradually to the recipient. Might be a way to get that Ebay boiler to you.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Get a fab shop to knock up a container with tap out of what ever grade ss is food grade (300?) and buy a large gas ring?

bonchance
    Free Member

Looks somewhat unique. Could you get a courier to pick it up from ebayer for you?

Few people advertise on ebay to do just that – search a few or look at shiply?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Group Camping 100ish people – Water Boiler’ is closed to new replies.