Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ground anchors and chains
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Are the ‘proper’ bike ones (Abus, Kryptonite or whatever) worth the extra over more general hardware-store type ones?
    And is the wall as good as the floor (I’m guessing it isn’t…?)

Gooner
    Free Member

i use a couple of these;

http://www.torc-anchors.com/torc-ground-anchor.php

don’t lose the keys as they took me 20 minutes each (with an angle grinder to cut each chain!)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Abus one (amongst others) is Gold rated for security – it’ll be better, and your insurance may require this level of security for protection.

If they can cut through the cable then the best ground anchor in the world is gonna be pointless. Conversely if they can take the bike away easily (ie cut through the anchor) and cut a brilliant cable in their own time in their own place then again self defeating.

Depends if you think £60 is worth if for your little treasured steed…

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Use the Torc anchor stuff too, its beefy!

youngj1
    Free Member

If you have a concrete floor then def attach the anchor to that…

I had one on the wall of my garage and they managed to rip the bolts (and most of the breeze block) out of the wall walking away with bike, lock and anchor…

Alot of insurance companies will insist on a ‘sold secure’ rating depending on the price of the bike

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kryptonoite ground anchor and a New York chain. It has withstood two attempted robberies. On the first they used a saw to try to cut through the padlock, which just removed the rubber coating. The second time they tried cutting through my RM Blizzard frame with a pair of branch loppers – this mangled the frame up a bit (replaced on insurance) but again they got away with nothing.

Lesson 1 – Unless your thief is brighter than the scallies where I live, they ain’t getting through the locks.

Lesson 2 – Put your worst bike at the front in case they go medieval

Xan
    Free Member

Find a good welder and get a bit of 3mm plate 6 3 inches by 6 inches, a bit if M10 rod bend the rod and weld to plate. 4 holes in the plate 12.5 mm in in diameter and use wall anchors to fix bolts to wall. Without a grinder it aint ever moving lol.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

dont waste your money on these, they wont even slow the scumbags down

Now I’ve got the ones that you concrete into the ground

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ground anchors and chains’ is closed to new replies.