• This topic has 88 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by timc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Grotbags wants a Qashqai
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

The better half has finally succumbed to getting a practical vee-hickle for a mum of two (currently a Figaro) and has settled on the qashqai (wanted a Q5 but thankfully saw sense). Is there anything to know about these currently looking at a 59 plate tekna with 100,000 on the clock (looks tidy enough). Owt to watch out for on the service records etc? Good, bad, stupid?

jekkyl

the visibility in them is awful, I’d recommend getting the one with parking cam if that’s within your budget.

dazz
    Free Member

Myself & 2 colleagues have these, 60 plate 1.5d ntec models, all have had new clutches around 105k, £2500 a time as they all needed flywheels, the interior build quality is terrible hasn’t lasted well at all, the boot is tiny for the size of the car, fuel economy for me is awful, at best 45mpg on very long runs, if I travel the 6 miles into Birmingham city centre I get about 25. It’s comfy though & hasn’t broken down once, BUT there is no way anyone could pay me enough to have another one. I literally hate it beyond words, roll on new car March 🙂

Check for a juddery clutch on pull away, listen for a clunk from the back when going over bumps they go through suspension bushes regularly & make sure the bootlid doesn’t rattle when driving

jezzep

Hiya,

Get a Skoda Yeti far better….I tested both the Yeti is great cos the seats can be taken out and car turned into Van 😉

On my Second one no problems so far in 60K of driving them. The 170BHP one very nippy and scares Corsa drivers LOL.

JeZ

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Good shouts, Jezzep, she’s made her mind up and the lady’s not for turning

gonzy
    Free Member

dont nissan still use dodgy renault parts in their engines? thats what put me off from buying one 18 months ago…

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Q5 is a great car..

T1000
    Free Member

was disapointed by the same Engine in the note…. v unreliable thankfully for most of its Life with us it was a Company car….main dealer service and parts are expensive and reliabilty is not at the standard of older models

dazz
    Free Member

yep, Renault engine, sounds like a bloody tractor. I tried sending mine back when it was delivered as I thought there was a problem with it, only to be told “they all sound like that”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Q5 is a great car..

perhaps but it is also a bit spendy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I thought it was interior parts, not engine parts? Had an x-trail for nearly 3 years and not had issues bar a heat plate underneath that’s come loose and rattles until the car warms up a bit. (Of course I’ve just put a curse on it now)

piha
    Free Member

If Mrs Thestabilliser wants a Qashqai and you are concerned about issues on the 59 plate you are looking at, then why don’t you look at leasing deals? There were some very cheap deals around for Qashqai’s a few months ago and with a new one you will have the benefit of the manufacturers warranty.

Quick search shows they are starting around £170 a month.

jfletch
    Free Member

Boot is tiny for the size of the car. Seem pointless to me. Many more crossovers are more practical and since the whole point of the them is to be more practical than a small car but cheaper than a propper 4×4 the Nissan being a bit shit at practical seems to defeat the object.

Get a CRV instead. Won’t break, ever, much more room inside and a huge boot.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member
    Q5 is a great car..
    perhaps but it is also a bit spendy.

Fair enough although based on previous experience of me having Germans cars and the wife having japanese, they often hold their value better so can cost less to own overall.

T1000
    Free Member

had the old pre Renault x trail 190 k Before things went wrong.

Post Renault Note @ 120 k pretty much Everything went wrong + dealer was dire….. failed to rebolt top Engine mounting then denied that they had taken the Engine out….. (for a clutch, cam belt and injection pump)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got to be a Qashqai – she hath spoken , her mates got one and it’s ‘nice’.

Is the petrol any better – bit more on tax but fuel costs are pretty marginal for a shortish commute etc?

ferrit
    Free Member

I got one of these as a hire car once.

Don’t EVER take it out in the snow. It’s dreadful (2WD one). Spent most of the journey from Elgin to Edinburgh trying not to fudge my duds.

Fuel economy is woeful.

Rear visibility is really bad.

Also, got a flat and the jack supplied with the car actually bent under the weight of the car (I watched it bend over about 30 seconds then collapse). This was at 5am in -14 degrees – I was not amused. Get a decent jack in the boot. Oh and the spare isn’t full size and I don’t think you can actually fit a full-size one in the space either.

I know yer missus is set on it but hopefully this is somewhat useful…

joolsburger
    Free Member

I agree a sqaushy is awful I hired one in Spain this year by accident and it was pants.

gonzy
    Free Member

Got to be a Qashqai – she hath spoken , her mates got one and it’s ‘nice’.

then you need to tell her that she needs something nicer than her mate! 😀

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It’s an anti-tardis. Looks big outside, but is tiny inside. Especially the boot.

rebel12
    Free Member

Q5 is a great car..

to deal drugs from, or if you’re a wanna be WAG but cant quite stretch to a proper Range Rover 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

CRV, Sportage, Q5, Yeti all miles better..

flybywire
    Free Member

+ 2 YETI 🙂

Houns

Don’t get it in chav white

cookeaa

Qashqai? a bit “Mumsnet” innit…

Especially the +2 seven seater version. big lump of a car so it “feels safe”. I’d much rather have an XC90 if that’s the sort of thing you’re after but I’d imagine they hold value a bit better than Nissan would so you’d be paying more…

I say this I’ve just talked the SO out of the idea of a high mileage/older seven seater lump, in favour of a newer, smaller C-Max. purely on practicality, lower miles on the clock, and to give her a chance of knowing where the corners might be.

For some reason whatever her mates are driving seems to influence her disproportionately too, I had to really talk her out of a Grand Scenic, because one of her friends (with more kids to shift) has just gotten one…

Volvo’s are much “nicer” places to sit IMO, but I couldn’t talk her round to a V70…

Could she be persuaded by being sat in something “Even nicer” than what her mates got?

stevestunts
    Free Member

I know very little about cars, but I do know Qashquis are quite bollocks, and this thread doesn’t belong in the bike forum.

cookeaa

this thread doesn’t belong in the bike forum.

OP may have to transport bike(s) in the car they eventually buy, So I reckon it does. Ha!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Spare parts on my Nissan are horrendously expensive, not consumables like discs and pads particularly (probably because the local garage can get them after market), but other parts. For example, replacement rear wheel sensor = £250, it’s just a little bit of plastic on the end of a cable. local garage says all Nissan parts are silly expensive (even the Micra), they try and use Renault branded parts if they know it’s exactly the same.

markshires
    Free Member

Just been convinced by you all not to bother with a quasqui now. The crv looks probable however in my price range they all seem to have at least 100k on the clock. Would this be something to worry about too much? I have always had smaller and newer cars.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Not sure about comments re boot space – ours is an inch longer than the golf but way bigger boot space – road bikes in with wheels attached, etc.

Petrol is fairly wheezy but will chug along at 70 – for short commutes don’t bother with a diesel.

In snow, with winter tyres the 2wd has driven where an awful lot of other cars haven’t managed.

The rear boot lock is rattling in ours, just a slight inconveience and not worth the mental money they quoted for replacement.

Stops, starts and has been reliable in the 7 years we’ve had it – it’s a workhorse – tip runs, bike in back, IKEA visits. Plus it helped we knew someone at the factory so mahoosive discount. Sits around a lot as cycle in so low mileage so can’t really comment on any woes for big milers.

Think it’s one of those cars people like to get superior about (especially people who ‘know nothing about cars but ‘know’ a Quash is rubbish’….). Never gonna win any prizes for looks, brand quality etc. but, touch wood, not let us down so far. Not in desperate hurry to get rid of it.

dazz
    Free Member

breatheeasy – Member

The rear boot lock is rattling in ours, just a slight inconvenience and not worth the mental money they quoted for replacement.

The dealership fixed my lock by wrapping the part attached to the car in the boot with electrical tape to “thicken it up” a bit

I can’t get a bike in the back with both wheels attached. Honestly I hate mine so much when I get home from work (it’s a company car) it’s just parked up & I use my Volvo, even though fuel, repairs etc don’t cost me a penny in the kumquat I’d rather pay to use my own car.

withersea
    Free Member

Had one, it was sh!te in many ways, ask her to put some money in the bank to cover repairs. That will get her to change her mind.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

My better half has a 1.5 ntec so mpg is good and no issues with running it but mind your head on the boot when’s it open. It’s stupidly low…
    I’m on my second Ford kuga which is a lot better ‘) but the boot could be bigger.

rickon
    Free Member

Ouch! 100k on a 59 plate. Based on that, youre looking for a bargain, as you dont want to spend a fortune. But looking at the comments your total cost of ownership will outweigh that cheap first spend.

Get a decent vehicle, with decent reviews. Just cause it looks how your wife wants it to look, doesnt mean its a good car to own.

Id buy something with lower mileage, with less features that was more reliable.

Youve got a solution, but whats the problem youre trying to solve? What criteria do you have?

bear-uk
    Free Member

I saw a 61 plate with 43k on the clock go through the car auctions in Leeds for 6k. I was tempted to buy one so many say there are pants. A 61 Yeti 2.0 Diesel with 53k was 9.2k

jontykint
    Free Member

Mother in law had a 58 plate, it was a terrible car. Rattled about everywhere and the clutch went at 85k miles 3 weeks after she bought it, luckily still under warranty from the garage.

After all the bad experiences you are getting on is thread, it may be wise to try and change her mind.
    If you can’t, tell her she can have one but you won’t be contributing to the buying, running costs and repair bills.

duncancallum

I’m ex Nissan drop me a pm if you want.

They have a reasonable boot. Don’t forget it’s only the same length as a focus.

The plus 2s the seats are gash but the extra boot room tends to be why they were bought.

The 1.6 petrol is gash crap on fuel and gutless. The 2.0 petrol thirsty. 2.0 d is not quite as good as it should be. My fav is the 1-6dci and then the 1.5 sci

Like I say ask away

stevestunts
    Free Member

I’m just surprised you’ve decided to chop in the Figaro. That workhorse has barely missed a beat in all the time you’ve had it. Can’t have been an easy decision.

I think the best advice on this thread has been to get a Yeti. Sensibly specced, you should have cash enough left over to get her a £500 banger from outside The Swan.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sensibly specced? – you’ve just shattered my dreams.

Tried to kill the bastard by overfilling the oil, it **** survived though. Then had to reapir it quick before she took it in the garage. Ahhh, the merry dance.

Anyone want to buy a figaro?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Duncan,

it seems clutches are the main worry, is there anything to look out for if we were to test dive one, think I’ve discounted the one on the previous page, although it does surprise me that people are sniffy about a modern car with 100k on the clock. That says motorway miles to me, probaly a cleaner engine than one with 30k shuttling the sprogs and going to ‘the traff’ at the same age?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Grotbags wants a Qashqai’ is closed to new replies.