Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Gross profiteering
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Oh well,

faustus

fair play. It’s what people do on ebay all the time, and what planet x exists for! 🙂

MSP

what planet x exists for

Yeah those stems for 31.95 handlebars were a bargain.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s business, nothing wrong with that.

martinhutch

Net profiteering, shurely?

wwaswas

I think when a company does this it’s Nett Profiteering.

woodster

A bike shop buying components and then selling them off for more?

What a bunch of scam artists.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Who here wouldn’t like to make a few quid if an opportunity arose? I’d be on it like a shot.

craig24
    Free Member

Fair play I say.

thegreatape
    Free Member

*bookmarked pending Kryton’s appearance and contribution*

P-Jay
    Free Member

That’s business, I’ve got to make £x grand a month just for this place to break even, you don’t make 5% of that a day (working on a 20 day working month) and you don’t make it equally from every sale.

I mean we try not to lose money on a sale, but we do sometimes, nature of the beast a 15% margin can get eaten up by shrinkage, labour, bad debt and all that, sometimes I can make my whole months target in a single sale, in fact sometimes I can make a few months target in a single sale.

I could make a lot less on those of course, pass on every penny of every special deal from our supplier onto our clients, or frankly say “You know what, the ‘market’ values this at this but in fact that’s 300% of what it costs, I’ll charge you half that” and I’m sure I’d be welcomed back with open arms every time, but sadly when I say “The ‘market’ only values this at this, but that’s only a 5% more than we can buy it for, sorry but I need more than that” they suddenly remember that don’t need it any more and buy it from somewhere else – Apple stuff mostly.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

😆

Kudos to him for taking the leap! He could have been left with 150+ 150mm quill stems…

chakaping
    Free Member

If this was a jewellery website we could call it “gross profit earring” instead.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Thats how retailing works though isn’t it? Buy for a little as possible – sell for as much as possible?

coomber
    Free Member

10% isn’t a great discount. Less tax and NI alone it’s a thin profit.

And as above it’s business. Not sure what the issue is. If they’ve purchased in bulk from planet x, it’s pretty certain they purchased wholesale cheap as well and sold it on.

wwaswas

10% isn’t a great discount.

10% of, not off, RRP – ie. a 90% discount.

Splash-man
    Free Member

10% isn’t a great discount. Less tax and NI alone it’s a thin profit

It was 10% of the RRP,not 10% off the RRP…….

Edit: Damn beaten to it…..

alanl
    Free Member

10% ‘of’.

craig24
    Free Member

I also read it as 10% off…

DezB
    Free Member

Nice to see Yoda has replied on the page there.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i think this is what half of the Hukd members are doing.
    For example Summer/ winter gloves, a shop doesn’t want last season summer gloves in December, hence they sell them off for peanuts, Evans cycles are very good at this.

I have Bought a few pairs for size, and sell the other pair on eBay 6 months later for under rrp, buyer is happy and seller has effectively got a free pair of gloves..

Nothing wrong with that

dropoff

I can’t see Charlie being too upset by cfh’s comments 🙂 and as its already been said surely thats just business ?

Kryton57

*bookmarked pending Kryton’s appearance and contribution*

After I learned my lesson from the last thread, I’ve nothing to contribute, except to say that I’ve spent this week gaining as much profit from re-selling the kids Christmas presents and Mrs K’s jewellery as I can on eBay to contribute to my bike fund. 😉

coomber
    Free Member

10 per cent ‘of’ is a lot better than 10 per cent off. I’m going to try and engage my tiny brain before replying in 2018

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Woulda been better if he’d sold them on the forum

aP
    Free Member

I’m sure Charlie sold them on competitively, but surely that’s what business is for? I won’t mention the irony of IT contractors complaining about businesses making profit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

After I learned my lesson from the last thread, I’ve nothing to contribute, except to say that I’ve spent this week gaining as much profit from re-selling the kids Christmas presents and Mrs K’s jewellery as I can on eBay to contribute to my bike fund.

Good work sir. Treat yourself to an extra pudding!

chilled76
    Free Member

I needed some roof truss joining plates (metal punched plates that join the wooden parts together).

Needed about 160 of them for building a new garage roof… they generally sold on the net for about 80p each.

Found a reclaims guy who had done a warehouse clearance and bought a job lot of…

30,000 for £200. Spent the next 2 years selling them on ebay in pack of 50 for £20 a pack.

Paid for holidays, bikes and the whole garage roof. Should have seen my Honda crv loaded floor to roof with boxes of steel plates.. can’t believe the suspension didnt collapse!

wwaswas

£12k chilled76! Good one 🙂

docgeoffyjones

It’s only gross profiteering if he won 150+ stems in a work raffle.

tomhoward

Must’ve been a bloody expensive raffle

Beaten by 24 seconds!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Gross profiteering’ is closed to new replies.