• This topic has 89 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by km79.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Gross Profiteering
  • Kryton57

I resisted the urge to post in the For Sale ad, but there’s a certain lifestyle device up from grabs at £100, which the seller admits to winning in a raffle.

Now, although I don’t know, I suspect the raffle entry cost was a very small percentage of the current For Sale price, so this smacks of the seller making a huge profit.

Maybe its just me, but my moral high ground is twitching, especially if said raffle was for charity so surely shouldn’t that massive amount of cash – in part at least – be direct there?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Maybe it will be?

jam-bo

By that logic, lottery prize winners should give all their winnings to charity?

seosamh77
    Free Member

much is the item worth new?

scuttler

WTFAYOA?

He won it, he owns it. He may chose to share the spoils with the cats home much in the same way as he may share other possessions. It’s none of your business.

jam1e
    Free Member

LOL!!

You enter a raffle hoping to win the Christmas hamper.

Instead you win ‘a certain lifestyle device’ that you have no use for.

What are you supposed to do with it? Throw it in the bin?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Gross profiteering …. LOL

Sellers just letting people know there is nothing wrong with the item and it’s presumable in tip top condition… nothing wrong with that.

If you don’t want a something in A1 condition at good price look else where… But how do you know where the item you end up buying has come from ??

P-Jay
    Free Member

He won it, he owns it.

This, i’ve entered every day on the Xmas Gift Giveaway thing, half of them would end up on eBay should I win them.

There’s a suspicious amount of unused Fox X2s on Pinkbike at the moment for £400-£500 which I suspect were bought when Mojo imploded. What’s the OPs stance there?

DezB
    Free Member

If he hadn’t said he’d won it in a raffle, you could’ve bought it without knowing. How BAD would that be?!

km79
    Free Member

The only questionable thing is why someone would buy it off here when it’s only a couple extra quid new from Amazon.

avdave2

He doesn’t admit it he declares it. He may not have even paid for a ticket – sounds like it might have been one of those work ones where everyone’s entered at Christmas. Maybe he’s already got one so thought he might as well sell it. For someone utterly incapable of making a decision on their own op you seem to have come to a very rapid conclusion here with almost no information. Maybe that’s how you should make all your decisions in future 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

so this smacks of the seller making a huge profit.

This comment “smacks of” “wind your **** neck in”

They won a raffle, what tf has it got to do with you what they do with their possessions ?

slimjim78
    Free Member

OP – do you leave the ‘gift aid’ box un-ticked to help prevent the scourge of tax dodging charities?

salad_dodger

I think Neal has nailed it. Surprised by the OP even if it’s what we’ve come to expect from Kryton.

DezB
    Free Member

So we all agree with Kryton57 then? 😆

tonyg2003

Entry to the raffle to buy the ticket was the gift to charity not winning the prize.

By the OPs logic every “health lottery” winner should give their money back?

Kryton57

Just me then, my moral fibre must be on a tilt.

For someone utterly incapable of making a decision on their own op

You only make assumptions from what you can see on here, like I said in the STW Addiction thread, some people can’t resist slagging off others based on past history, I see you’re one of them…

ThePinkster

but there’s a certain lifestyle device up from grabs at £100

That’s a lot to pay for a second hand Rabbit. 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Alexa….write an email to the Daily Mail….”

avdave2

Just me then

Well at least you’ve got one thing right. 🙂

stumpy01

Kryton57 – Member

Maybe its just me

Yep….

bearnecessities

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe its just me, but my moral high ground is twitching

I also call my penis the moral high ground.

For someone utterly incapable of making a decision on their own op

To be fair, the OP made the decision to go balls deep all in on this topic. No indecisiveness here.

doris5000

Kryton old bean, don’t go into the financial advice threads. They’re FULL of people bragging about how they sold their shares for 10x what they paid 😡

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Guilty as charged. Won an expensive golf club in a raffle, flogged it on ebay for £150 (don’t play Golf). Burned off some airline points I accrued from work travel (so didn’t pay for tickets) by purchasing a number of Bluetooth speakers from their shopping site, sold them for £80 a piece. Went through a phase of buying stuff from the ‘reduced price’ shelf at B&Q and sold through ebay for a profit.

Things are worth what people will pay. I rarely buy stuff off ebay because it is grossly overpriced, but there are obviously plenty of mugs out there who either get competitive in the bidding process or are just too lazy to research the price of stuff. But I’m happy to exploit that when I am looking to sell stuff.

If you want to accuse someone of gross profiteering then look no further than the likes of Santa Cruz.

wwaswas

I also call my penis the moral high ground.

I heard it was more the moral foothills.

hodgynd
    Free Member

As others have said ..I can’t see what the raffle winner has done wrong ..the takings from the raffle ticket sale will have more than covered the cost of the prize ..that is why you have a raffle in the first place .
    Whatever he does with that prize thereafter is entirely up to him.
    You do actually understand that concept ..dont you ?
    It’s now his unwanted property which he wishes to sell on ..nowt wrong with that

brant
    Free Member

If you want to accuse someone of gross profiteering then look no further than the likes of Santa Cruz.

In what way?

ossify

I’ve wondered about this when looking at a competition sometimes when the item is something I don’t especially want and justified it like this:

I want a new mtb.
    Item X is worth £500.
    If I win, I’ll sell it for £400 and put the cash towards a mtb.
    I’m happy, buyer who got a deal is happy and the item is put to good use anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

What did they win? A Sonos?

flange
    Free Member

I’m happy to buy said lifestyle device from Tom because

A) I’d rather Tom got my money than Amazon
    B) It’s cheaper than one from Amazon
    C) I like Tom, I’ve bought a bike off him before and it had the best set up forks I’ve ever used. On this basis I’m expecting him to pop round and configure the Echo so it makes me tea and scratches my back

He was upfront in the ad about where the device came from – whats the issue? He has something I want to buy. It would cost me more elsewhere. It also helps Tom and I to bond (more).

Jamie
    Free Member

In what way?

Because they’re always eBaying off tat they won at the tombola.

It also helps Tom and I to bond (more).

Finally. I have been waiting too bloody long for another STW Bromance.

scaredypants

That’s a lot to pay for a second hand Rabbit.

depends on the provenance, I’d imagine 😕

tomhoward

You know what the really terrible thing is? I didn’t even know there was a raffle, much less pay to enter it. Every year for advent work do a draw, the winner each day picks a box, behind that box is your prize. I got an email saying I’d won on Monday (whilst on the sick for my gammy toe, you may have heard about it…) so found out on Tues when I got back. Lucky me!

You’ll be pleased to know that it’s sold, so a tidy £100 profit for me 8) but in order to ease krytons angst, if he would like to name a charity here (I recommend st Gemma’s hospice) I’ll donate the £20 tax I would pay on my Big Win to them.

Ready when you are sweet pea.

wwaswas

Tom and his filthy lucre.

No wonder he ended up with an infection.

flange
    Free Member

In fact – bollocks to it Tom, I’ll pay you £120 and you can double your charity giving to £40 so everyone comes out sweet.

So now I’ve OVER PAID for an item that Tom got for free and the tax dodging charity of Kryton’s choice gets £40 it wouldn’t have had previously…

Jamie
    Free Member

You’ll be pleased to know that it’s sold, so a tidy £100 profit for me but in order to ease krytons angst, if he would like to name a charity here (I recommend st Gemma’s hospice) I’ll donate the £20 tax I would pay on my Big Win to them.

Ready when you are sweet pea.

In fact – bollocks to it Tom, I’ll pay you £120 and you can double your charity giving to £40 so everyone comes out sweet.

So now I’ve OVER PAID for an item that Tom got for free and the tax dodging charity of Kryton’s choice gets £40 it wouldn’t have had previously…

Please only do this if Kryton also chucks in £20.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ll pay you £120 and you can double your charity giving to £40 so everyone comes out sweet.

Sometimes, this place is awesome…great work chaps (and Kryton if he matches the £40 staked already 😉 )

DavidB
    Free Member

Sometimes, this place is awesome…great work chaps (and Kryton if he matches the £40 staked already )

Hmmm. The OP asked a question and now is being coerced into a charitable donation. He suggested that some of it should go to charity and the response was to flame him and then give some to charity. I’m clearly a snowflake though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m clearly a snowflake though.

Yup.

Which makes it odd that you didn’t melt due to being in close proximity to the aforementioned flaming.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Gross Profiteering’ is closed to new replies.