Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Grooms Speech
  • adsbatts89
    Free Member

Any top tips? *Sarcasm defence activated*

longmover
    Free Member

Just get drunk and wing it

perchypanther
    Free Member

Be genuine , thank everyone and don’t worry about it.
    Nobody expects you to be funny or entertaining.

That’s the Best Mans job.

fasthaggis

Stand up,short pause,look down at your beautiful partner,then burst in to tears.

spawnofyorkshire

Depending on how much you trust your best man it might be worth knifing the f***er with a quick one liner before he gets you

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Yer, sounds like the thoughtful and genuine approach will be a winner.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its the easiest of the three. Everyone is on your side, doesn’t need to be too elaborate/witty/dirty. Something about it being the only time you get to speak for the both of you. ‘My wife and I …’ usually gets a response. Something nice (and not smutty) about about the bridesmaids and brides parents. Maybe a little dig at the best man and hinting he may be a compulsive liar before he gives his speech.

br
    Free Member

Thank everyone for coming.

Say how wonderful your new wife is.

Thank the In Laws and Mum&Dad, especially if they paid/contributed to anything.

Thank the caterers.

Admire the bridesmaids, verbally! 🙂

Sit down.

zippykona

Thank every female especially anyone connected to your wife.
    You will be judged for the rest of your life with this speech. In 30 years time during an argument your wife will bring up the fact that you didn’t thank her auntie Brenda.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Good stuff, cheers! Now to get writing, 2 weeks to go.

simon_g

Thank everyone for coming.

Say how wonderful your new wife is.

Thank the In Laws and Mum&Dad, especially if they paid/contributed to anything.

Thank the caterers.

Admire the bridesmaids, verbally!

Sit down.

Yep. If you’re doing gifts for parents/best man/bridesmaids then normally the groom’s speech is when you give them. Have them ready with an assistant or two to pass them out.

Don’t try to be funny, crap jokes is the best man’s job.

SiB
    Free Member

2 weeks!!!! Do it the morning of the wedding, far too much time to think about it now and mess it up!! Seriously, plus you’ll forget it all by two weeks as its gonna be a busy two weeks!! Maybe just have a discreetly hidden list of who you need to thank.

“Its a bit like a three ringed circus this marriage lark….had the engagement ring, wedding ring today, now comes the suffering”..well it made me chuckle when I heard it!!

good luck

IHN

Just be nice. Mine went:

1) Thank everybody for coming
    2) Admire wife
    3) Little story of how we met
    4) Thank everyone involved in paying for/running wedding (forgot my parents, oops)
    5) Little pre-emptive piss-take of Best Man

Well, that was at the first wedding. My second wedding didn’t have speeches…

mrchrist

I did mine in April…

Wasn’t fussed about tradition so thanked everybody who i felt helped enriched the ride. This included the immediate family on both sides plus some of our friends… and my wife.

Had a few prompts on a few cards and made sure i made lots of eye contact with the the guests and kept looking around the room.

Rehearsed it a few times too so it was quite fluid.

I am not really into public speaking but wanted to do a good job as I figured weddings cost a lot so I so make an effort to do my bit well and people spend a lot of cash/time coming. I tried to make the speak reflect my personality rather than be somebody i am not.

Probably one of the best/top 5 things I have ever done.

Cougar

5) Little pre-emptive piss-take of Best Man

I think I said something along the lines of, I wasn’t worried about the best man’s speech as any trouble I’d got up to when I was younger he was almost certainly culpable.

davidjey
    Free Member

Echo the above really, prioritise being sincere over being funny. No close to the bone jokes – that’s the best man’s job – and any jokes at all should be at the expense only of yourself, best man, or other groomsmen. Say genuinely nice things about your wife! Just my two cents. Mine roughly went:

1. Thank speaker before you (my MIL in my case)
    2. Thank people for coming, mention anyone you’d like to who can’t be there (in my case my 92 yo grandmother who couldn’t travel 200 miles from her home, and a close friend who was getting married on the same day!!)
    3. Thank people who have contributed (we had a number of folk help out in a big way on the day – two friends played the bride in on violin/piano, another was our photographer for the day), dole out gifts as part of the speeches if there’s not too many to do
    4. Big up the bride. We’d been together almost ten years so I told two little anecdotes about her, one from not long after we met and one more recent, about good stuff she’d done for me or others.
    5. You should, almost, but not quite, cry.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if you can mail me the speech before the 10th that’d be appreciated.

genuine you say? ah, balls. 😉

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Thanks for tips, all good stuff.

njee20
    Free Member

Googled who it was I was ‘supposed’ (according to tradition) to thank whilst we had canapes, then made it up as I went along. Had a great time. Everyone knows you/likes you/wants you to succeed. The best man has a far, far harder job.

Don’t insult anyone, that’s the best man’s job. Say nice things about everyone. Thank everyone. That’s about it.

Cougar

5. You should will, almost, but not quite, cry.

FTFY.

Tallpaul

Check with the Bride’s Father who he plans to thank in his speech. It sounds a bit daft two people making the same thank you’s.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

most of the above is right about content – keep it simple, keep it genuine, but unless you’re a seasoned public speaker do not attempt to wing it.
    You’ll think you can, but then standing up in front of everyone you know is pretty full on and it’ll be obvious you’re just making it up.
    That might be fine, but you only do it once so why risk bumbling through it.
    practice it and when you come to the day it’ll deliver itself.

(plus you still want to come over as pretty slick in case the whole thing doesn’t work out… 😉

teadrinker
    Free Member

In 30 years time during an argument your wife will bring up the fact that you didn’t thank her auntie Brenda.

True, but Auntie Brenda did and still does **** all for anyone. She doesn’t feed Poppy when we go on holiday and don’t even get me started on the bunting at last years summer bbq. If it wasn’t for Uncle Simon she’d be long gone by now.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

True, but Auntie Brenda did and still does **** all for anyone. She doesn’t feed Poppy when we go on holiday and don’t even get me started on the bunting at last years summer bbq. If it wasn’t for Uncle Simon she’d be long gone by now.

I’ll not be thanking the selfish so and so in my speech either then.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Try and be original! I’ve been to enough weddings now that most speeches are the same downloaded tat with just the names changed. Zzzzzzzzz

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Before I could utter a word my new missus stood and delivered, almost to the word, what I had been agonising over for the previous couple of days so I ended up with, ‘Yeah, what she said. Lets eat.’

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Try and be original! I’ve been to enough weddings now that most speeches are the same downloaded tat with just the names changed. Zzzzzzzzz

That’s what I’m worried about. I want it to be original, but not distasteful. Guess I’ve gotta find that balance.
    The more I look into the more I realise how unenviable the other two speeches are!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Open with

My ex girlfriend and I would like to thank you all for coming to be with us today

perchypanther
    Free Member

or ” On behalf of my first wife and I….”

Keep her on her toes.

poltheball
    Free Member

I’m doing mine this Sat 😯

Format:
    -“on behalf of my wife and I…”
    -story of how we met
    -soppy bit about how great she is
    -named thankyous to everyone involved (lots of family doing us favours like flowers, photos (he’s a pro), cake (she’s a pro), invites, music, chaufferring…)
    -get everyone to check out the bridesmaids
    -toast bridesmaids

Best of luck! Writing this made me realise I hadn’t actually written down the photographer for a thankyou, oops..

I’d recommend winging it for the story of you meeting her, and then listing out the names of folks that’ve done stuff. You only get one shot, and auntie Brenda needs to be on that list.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

I’m doing mine this Sat

Good luck!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I went with “my wife and I all want you to get pissed”

That marriage didn’t work out though…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As above, but don’t forget you toast is to the bridesmaids – don’t forget!

MrPottatoHead

If you’re going to be nervous then get it out the way before the meal so you can get on and enjoy your day.

Don’t wing it unless you’re a good speaker, and if you do at least have a plan in mind.

mechanicaldope

Should probably say something about how you hope your wife will grow to look like your mother in law in future as she is so smoking hot.

davidjey
    Free Member

I’ve been to enough weddings now that most speeches are the same downloaded tat with just the names changed. Zzzzzzzzz

I’ve suffered that too. Having also done a best man’s speech, and looked at the same websites that every other best man has looked at whilst doing their research, I can now spot the ones who have just used the ‘hilarious’ one liners that come up at the top of the page.

I spun that around into a bit of a theme to tie my speech together though. We took almost ten years to get married – most of our friends had beaten us to it and we’d been to a lot of weddings in the years before ours. I acknowledged all this and said something like “I’ve sat through a lot of speeches at weddings, and so when preparing this I tried to think back about what’s really impressed me about some of the speeches I’ve heard from grooms down the years, and steal all your good ideas.”

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Grooms Speech’ is closed to new replies.