Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Grizedale – what else apart from North Face trail?
  • timnwild

I’ve got one day at Grizedale coming up and I’ve done the North Face before – loved it, but would like to do more stuff this time. What else is good there?

Ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Everything bar the Northface.

Parkamoor, lawson park, ickenthwaite, trig point, satterthwaite, graythwaite etc. etc.

Have a look on bogtrotters website for routes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I spent a week there before Easter and only scratched the surface with the local trails. We were staying at Thwaite Bridge and theres a car park about half a mile out of there on the way to Satterthwaite. I’d park there and do the BW that goes from there, over the hill into Satterthwaite. Then the BW out of Satterthwaite over Breasty Haw (hehehe) to the road. Then along the road for a few hundred metres before picking up the BW that goes to the car park at the Hawkshead end of the NFT (Low Moor?). NFT back to the visitor centre which is a nice bit of trail mostly. Tea and cake. Then NFT all the way up to Parkamoor Farm, descent Parkamoor to Satterthwaite. Pint at the pub. Then the same BW you took first, up out of Satterthwaite and then a nice singletrack descent back to the car park.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

descent Parkamoor to Satterthwaite. Pint at the pub.

Not sure about this bit. Parkamoor descends to Nibthwaite, and there are no pubs in Nibthwaite.

grum
    Free Member

From Parkamoor you can go back over towards Satterthwaite – the descent is called Moor Lane I think, the one that crosses the fire road three times – good fun. You turn left and go back on yourself rather than going right towards Nibthwaite.

Pretty much all the bridleways in the forest (and some of the footpaths 😉 ) are great for biking imo. There are good routes in the VG Graphics book, or the bogtrotters website will have some too. You can link up with Claife Heights which is a lovely place to ride.

Breasty Haw (snigger) is good too.

Trekster

This
    and this
    +the Boggies
    you will need OS Explorer OL7

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I thought ‘my’ Parkamoor descent (very long, very rocky, very fast) was ‘the’ Parkamoor descent. Am I missing something? Up the NFT until you get to the BW going left just above Coniston. Along there, lovely views to Parkamoor Farm and then turn left. Never descended to Nibthwaite… Just looked on a map – any good?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, the descent you did is a good un. The one down to Nibthwaite is also a good un with a few more techy bits. At Nibthwaite you can then ride along the road a bit and go up near “Stock Farm” and go down the ickenthwaite descent which is also good.

grum
    Free Member

Never descended to Nibthwaite… Just looked on a map – any good?

Yes.

crazy-legs

Grizedale is stuffed with BW, FP’s and random unmarked trails. We used to nightride round there regularly and the number of times we got lost on “familiar” territory was unbelievable! Take a map and compass (yes, one of those old fashioned things) and just pick a trail, you won’t go too far wrong.

Devils Gallop is a nice descent (heading left to right on that map link).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Heard Devils Gallop was good. Couldn’t fit it into any of the rides I did really though when I was there.

Cheers for the heads up about the Nibthwaite descent though – back there for a week in August so will be trying to get out and do more stuff around there… Might organise a long weekend with the lads too. Couldn’t believe how good the riding was (help by the fact it was the week before Easter when it didn’t dip below 20 degrees!).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale – what else apart from North Face trail?’ is closed to new replies.