Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Grizedale or Whinlatter
  • christof
    Free Member

So I’ve got a week in the Lakes with the wife and have been allowed some time with my bike. Afternoon some consideration, I chosen to to head out on the the fells with an os map by myself and am planning a trail centre.
    So where would you recommend out of Grizedale or Whinlatter?
    I enjoy a mixture of trail centre, natural, a bit of dh, tech etc…
    Cheers in advance!

honeybadgerx

Grizedale by a country mile. Whinlatter is very good for a trail centre, or if you’re limited for time, but the natural riding around grizedale is fantastic (avoid the north face trail or just use it to link sections). The two places aren’t exactly close to each other either so may also depend on where you are staying!

nickc

Grizdale has some long double track sections, but the stuff that’s there is pretty good, and the long last sections back to the centre are heaps of fun. It’s easy to get off piste as well (the guys at the shop are normally pretty happy to give you added directions on the official map)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A route that includes parkamoor descent is always good.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/parkamoor

martinhutch

Grizedale. I generally only use the first climb of the North Face trail though to gain height to ride something else. There is so much fun to be found off the marked trails.

If it HAS to be a trail centre, Whinlatter.

Depends where you are based, really. You don’t want to be spending your free time driving north or south.

tomj
    Free Member

My view is that if you just want to ride the purpose built trails then Whinlatter is much better – make sure you do the blue as well as the reds, it’s really good fun. If you just want a few hours trail centre blast with fun downhills, great views and no navigation than do Whinlatter.

BUT Grizedale is much, much better if you add on all the natural stuff in the forest and surrounding areas. You can make it as short or as long as you want and pretty much as hard as you want. The North Face Trail is nowhere near as good as Whinlatter but it’s great for linking up bridleways and gaining height without using the forest roads.

bartesque

In agreement with the comments above

we did Whinlatter followed by Grizedale back to back last year

Whinlatter was a real blast and great fun. The best bits of Grizedale was the off piste particularly Parkamour

Heading back up this year and hoping for similar weather we had wall to wall sunshine in October. I had always been told that there was three types of weather in the lakes; It is about to rain, It’s raining or it has just finished raining.

nixie

Whinlatter much better as a trail centre. If I was going into the fells I don’t think I’d use either as a starting point.

mahalo

looks like a typo in the OP? i assume its meant to say

‘I chosen not to head out on the the fells with an os map’

so choose Whinlatter… or better still change your mind – such a wasted opportunity!

danvis
    Free Member

You will be missing out on some some amazing trails. Go to Grizedale but include Parker Moor and Walna Scar whch a detours well worth a little additional time and effort from Grizedale

gkeeffe

Grizedale bridle ways are superb. The fox parkamoor esthwaite hall breasty haw are all brilliant. Add Colthouse iron Keld etc and you have some of the best riding in the Uk.

Junkyard
    Free Member

going to the lakes and riding a trail centre is like going into a brothel and asking for a kiss – stolen from someone else on a thread like this

Grizedale by a long way if you must but do some of the natural stuff as they are better descents
    WHinlatter is ok and I might go there if i was in the North lakes just to avoid some travelling

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Grizedale, obviously but…

Whinlatter south loop with a short push up to halfway up Grisedale Pike, then down the ridge to Braithwaite is a nice loop.

mkeyg
    Free Member

Whinlatter every time for trail center riding. The north face has no flow to it. Grizedale natural stuff is very good though as previously said. But there’s too my h fire road sections to link it all

CheesybeanZ

Purley on waymarked trail centre riding – Whinlatter is head and shoulders above Grizedale . We did the 3 Whinlatter loops back to back last week and enjoyed it . Grizedale – North Face trail – meh .

ricardo666
    Free Member

3 witches, the fox and bacon slicer in Grizedale !

Huge playground

calmtblum
    Free Member

Grizedale is the worst trail centre I have ever been too but I have never tried any natural trails around there. Whinlatter on the other hand was one of the best I have been too and all the trails are great but if I had to choose I would say the North loop. Stay away from the north face trail at grizedale it is👎

senorj

Whichever one means less driving. In my case , that’s nearly always Whinlatter.

Ride up from the lake ,blue, red south , red north,blue & add a few more bonus climbs etc and I always have fun. 🙂

I’d prefer to ride the natural stuff around Grizedale .

angeldust
    Free Member

Is the OP answering his own question?  Or have some posts gone missing?

Edit…yep, I’m not seeing some posts for some reason…..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale or Whinlatter’ is closed to new replies.