Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grizedale – a grand day out!
  • muddy247
    Free Member

Traveled over the moors to ride Grizedales North Face Trail yesterday- took the hardtail as had heard it was pretty “tame” and not very technical. Trail conditions were good considering recent weather- the black run was closed due to tree felling, shame as looked like fun!
    Really enjoyed the natural singletrack right from the start- great technical ups n downs- boardwalk sections were well made and the raised boulder sections were a challenge!
    A few sections of the red were closed but enjoyed the rest of the route- looking forward to returning in dryer conditions.

martinhutch

Make sure you include some of the natural bridleway highlights in the forest next time, and you’ll be in for a real treat.

muddy247
    Free Member

Is that seperate from the red trail?

amplebrew

The Low Parkamoor trail down to High Nibthwaite is great and then across to the Walna Scar Road area before the coming back through Coniston and back into Grizedale from High Cross.

martinhutch

Definitely – there’s a network of bridleways and byways through the forest and surrounding areas with some really good riding. You can have an excellent day’s riding without putting a wheel on the NF Trail, or mix and match as you see fit.

For example, you may have passed a sign marked ‘Parkamoor’ off one of the fire roads at the top of the red.

That leads to this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ferSdG83dkY[/video]

muddy247
    Free Member

Martinhutch- that looks great, might take the full sus for that one! Planning to go back with the family as soon as the weather picks up. Got a stag party in Windermere soon and doing the GoApe at Grizedale! Might get a cheeky early morning hungover ride in whilst up that way!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Like Martin said, you really want to use the NFT to connect the bridleways marked on the OS map.

This will help next time you’re there:

http://www.ridethelakes.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=704

TooTall
    Free Member

Go and see the art in the forest. Please. Don’t just go there and ride the mountain bike trails. Grizedale is so much more than that.

satchm00
    Free Member

Yeah its ok, not my thing really.

Bacon butty in the cafe was a highlight.

Didn’t think much of the north face red route, I really enjoyed the bridleways though. Great campsite nearby too.

Wozza
    Free Member

Just got back from there. Did the NF route DH into the visitors centre and the climb out, bit over parka moor and down into sattertwate, over breasty haw and back round to moor top.

Trails are holding up well, they’ve cleared all of the fallen trees that have been stacking up over the last few months.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They have not cleared them all but most of them – iirc at least one blocked the trail but you could get under it

Only ever ridden parts of it as I do the bridelways out of there but I did it today with young kids- pretty grim weather wise. Tbh I was wondering what on earth could make anyone enjoy that/bother to ride it when there is so much more to offer in grizedale, as mentioned above] never mind the lake district.

Good if you have newbies or kids under 10 but I cannot see why anyone else would ride it and would neve reven consider doing it again

No offence like different strokes for different folks.

justatheory
    Free Member

@Junkyard – Agreed. Taken in isolation the NF trail is pretty good, but in context of what the surrounding area has to offer I wouldn’t bother.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ease of use I guess, turn up, park, ride in a circle, get back in car. Nothing wrong with that, probably what i did the first time I went to Grizedale.

tomaso
    Free Member

Plenty of trees down last Wednesday, but it is still good riding 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale – a grand day out!’ is closed to new replies.