Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Gritting with Cat Litter
  • Harry_the_Spider

After spending over 2 hours getting the car up a 20ft long sheet of ice outside my house this morning i'm willing to try anything.

So…

1) Does it work?

2) What sort? I understand from Cat Woman, who I share an office with, that there are different types.

3) Is it hideously expensive?

uplink
    Free Member

If you can't get rock salt – dishwasher salt & sharp sand should be available OK

I've heard of using cat litter but not tried it

grynch
    Free Member

If you're really stuck and nothing esle.. try it.. but in my experience ( stuck in a snow bank years ago.. cat litter the only "grit" around ) it just didn't work.. turned to clay almost immediately, made a horrible mess and provided -0- traction.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

1. Probably not
    2. theres woodchip, paper pellets, clumping clay, diatomaceous earth, take your pick.
    3. sand is cheaper.

grynch
    Free Member

that being said the stuff I used was obviously clay based..but I think most are ( I don't know.. don't have cats.. think they are awful creatures )

bananaworld
    Free Member

Get the pre-owned stuff – feline fæcal matter provides superb traction.

HTTP404
    Free Member

no just use the cat.

grynch
    Free Member

bananaworld.. but if you have access to a cat.. wouldnt throwing the mog under the wheels provide better traction?

grynch
    Free Member

HTTP beat me to it.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Good idea guys, though why not just "throw the babe out wiff the bath water" and chuck in the cat, the crap and the litter?

Traction-tastic.

skidartist
    Free Member

if its ice/packed down snow and its pretty dry rather than slushy then ash gives pretty good grip, if you know anybody with a fire at home.

Bunnyhop

My friend cut down some of her leylandi hedge and spread it across their driveway and got the car back up on that, ingenius. She's Swedish and knows a thing or two about this snow driving lark.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

no just use the cat.

If you could get hold of four cats, you could tie one to each wheel – they make great snow chains. Probably.

wwaswas

"icebegone"

empty your spare petrol can down the hill and strike a match.

(please don't try this)

HTTP404
    Free Member

🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Tread it inside and it will ruin your floors.

Harry_the_Spider

Bunnyhop – Member
    My friend cut down some of her leylandi hedge and spread it across their driveway and got the car back up on that, ingenius. She's Swedish and knows a thing or two about this snow driving lark.

I used bits of Christmas tree. It works! We even managed to shift a Transit van with it.

AndyRT
    Free Member

what about using some de-icer?

Harry_the_Spider

To clear 20ft x 8ft of road?

grynch
    Free Member

so… a full day has gone by.. what have you done`? ( or are you still housebound )

brant
    Free Member

Scattered the ash (cold) from our stove over the car tracks in the drive this morning, to get the car out. Super grippy!

Harry_the_Spider

I drove straight out thanks to the Christmas tree.

grynch
    Free Member

ahh— just noticed you had already posted that.

Bunnyhop

Harry – I'm guessing in Sweden she would have been using Christmas tree type trees and not laylani. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Gritting with Cat Litter’ is closed to new replies.