Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Grisedale Pike (again)
  • richardkennerley

Sorry, I know it gets done to death on here.

I’m hoping to have a day out with the Mrs and The Little One, maybe next week. A possibility is that she could drop me at Whinlatter, I have a quick blast whilst she pushes the pram round the forest or I meet her back in Keswick.

Would it be a good idea to do Grisedale Pike, dropping back towards Keswick in order to meet the family?

Could someone give me, or point me to, good route instructions on how to get up there then which way to go down!? Some things to aim for on an OS map would be helpful, I can’t really work out where the South loop sits in relation to the summit on the map.

I’ve never done the pike before. How long should it take!?

Alternatively, I thought do one of the loops then back down the bridleway to Thornthwaite. Is that worth doing?

Thanks for any advice!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Park at the lay by just out of Braithwaite on the road to whinlatter. Up coledale hause then straight over onto the front of hobcarton crag, onto GP. What a descent, only first 200m is dodgy. I’d say 2-3 hours depending on how long you take the views in for.

TomB

Alternatively, get dropped at whinlatter, ride north loop, and blue if you fancy then head to top of south, at summit of marked route, push uphill through trees and over little fence, pops out on Grisedale pike Fp. Either descend to Braithwaite from there or push/ride/carry to summit then return same way. Top section of descent is super technical (too much for me) and exposed to wind. Be considerate of walkers when descending, can get pretty fast and then hard to scrub speed off on steep grassy/muddy sections.

richardkennerley

So Sleet How (on the OS map) is the path to follow. I get it now, I need things spelling out for me sometimes! 🙂 Will have to see how the day pans out, if at all!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Are you riding or walking? If biking there is quite a bit of hike a bike.

This is the ridge line up from the south loop of Whinlatter to Grisedale Pike

Right up to Barrow hill from Braithwaite

TomB

You’ve got it, top of South loop is at the crest of Hospital Plantation, grid NY211232, just below the spot height 527 marked on OS map. If th weather is crap, descending the thornthwaite BW is a good option for returning to Keswick when you’ve finished playing in whinlatter. Also next week is half term, so Grisedale may be busier midweek than normal if the sun’s out.

richardkennerley

Finally went to Whinlatter yesterday, I did a bit of riding, the mrs took the little one down to Keswick for a wander.

Weather in the Lakes was awesome, it’s great here too but somewhat more spectacular up there!

I didn’t go up Grisedale because of the snow, didn’t think it would be wise for my first time! But now I’ve been back, I can see it’s pretty easy to navigate onto, so next time!

Rode the bridleway down to Thornthwaite, there’s some fun to be had down there, but there was some sheet ice at the bottom which was pretty hairy

Grisedale Pike

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lovely photo and stem cap too !

Nipper99
    Free Member

Is a bridleway over Grisedale Pike – just looking at my OS map.

boxelder

Folk were skiing off G Pike today and we bumslid 🙂

richardkennerley

A paraglider took off just after I took that photo!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

a bridleway over Grisedale Pike

Nope, cheeky footpath.

Rode over on midsummer’s evening

[video]https://youtu.be/XtgFzFYK0KA[/video]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Grisedale Pike (again)’ is closed to new replies.