• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by teef.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Grips & Hairspray ?
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Hi,

My foam grips are rotating, they are brand new as are the bars.

I’ve read about using hairspray to keep them in place. Seems sensible enough.

My question is though, if/when the grips need to be removed what is the likely hood of the hairspray damaging carbon bars ? How would i go about getting them off without damaging the bar ? The grips are only £10 so i’d happily cut them up etc.

mintimperial

How would i go about getting them off without damaging the bar ?

A zip tie and a squirt of WD40 or GT85 will do the trick. Clean them off afterwards and you can use them again.

Offroading
    Free Member

Ok.

I gather the hairspray wouldn’t lift the lacquer on the bar ?

mintimperial

Doubt it, it’s pretty tame stuff, it’s designed for you to spray it onto your head after all…

I should add that I’ve only ever used lock-ons on carbon bars so someone could well come along with horror stories of delaminated bars shortly.

Offroading
    Free Member

Very true, can’t be “that strong”

mauja
    Free Member

I’ve used the hairspray trick with carbon bars and foam grips before, when it comes to removing them just try and get some warm water under them and they should still come off without cutting.

I now use ESI foam grips on all my bikes and find they never slip, would highly recommend them if you’re having a problem with other foam grips slipping and don’t want the hassle of using hairspray or similar.

AD

I’ve used hairspray to attach Ritchey WCS grips to Easton EC70’s for the last 5 years – haven’t failed (yet…)
    As to taking them off – just pull really hard – I’d be wary of using a knife.

Offroading
    Free Member

OK, will pinch her hairspray tomorrow 😀

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, been using hair spray and foam grips for years.

So far as getting off, one of those rubber coated steel screwdriver style tyre levers to lift the grip without scratching the bars and then loads more hair spray.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Just make sure it’s the cheapest hairspray you can hold of- the good stuff isn’t as sticky

wolfy35
    Free Member

This brings back lots of memories.

Using hairspray as a lube & adhesive for grips is very old school & yet it still continues to be one of the best. Been using it since late 70’s first for tri bar grips on road bikes then carried on through every MTB I have had.

One warning though you MUST use the cheapeat nastiest hairspray you can get, the more expensive stuff is now designed not to be sticky so it wont work. If you can get it the basic Insette in a blue & white can that sells for 69p near me is the one I have always used.

Teapot
    Free Member

Cossack is the only hairspray you’ll ever need (for your grips)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Make sure you get unperfumed…

I use extra firm hold.

jameso

3M spray adhesive fixes them on better, but is harder to remove. Resists water a lot better ime. Agree with wolfy above tho, if you use hairspray get the cheap stuff.

Offroading
    Free Member

I put the grips on last night, removed them and cleaned them and the bars with IPA.

Sprayed some hairspray on (Firm hold from vella) and left them overnight.

Checked them this morning and they are solid 😀

I’ve no idea if vella is a good/cheap brand….

TheSwede
    Free Member

I used golden syrup on shinsplints bike as he had nothing else. Solid in a few days 😀

sparkyrhino

My wife made me watch hairspray, didnt enjoy it much, not heard of grips is that a musical too ?

martymac

more hairspray removes them easily.

teef
    Free Member

Splash out on some lock on grips – Superstar do them for £10

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=60&osCsid=h3aimb2k83j5btukqsrkffo8a6

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Grips & Hairspray ?’ is closed to new replies.