Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grippy shoes for BMXing and general bike related messing about
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’ve been riding with SPDs for 20 years. So long in fact that the only shoes I have or know anything about are cleated.

For messing about on my midlife crisis death-sled of death BMX I have been wearing trainers which offer almost zero grip, so I could do with something to extend my life expectancy.

Criteria:
    Don’t cost the earth
    Don’t look ridiculous
    Can walk about in them comfortably

What’s good?

core

On offer FiveTen’s

qwerty
    Free Member

Grippy shoes for BMXing

Vans Half Cab Pro is the default answer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plyphon
    Free Member

Anything skate shoe will be great. I’ve been riding Etnies for both MTB and BMX for the past 3 or 4 shoes I think.

There are a bunch of “BMX specific” shoes, but like MTB specific you pay a premium to have that logo.

http://www.alansbmx.com/

http://www.sourcebmx.com/en/gb/Home.aspx

Couple of decent places to shop there.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I wear my old Etnies Lo-cut 2’s for that exact purpose.

RustySpanner

Vans.
    Loads about for £20 – £30.
    Offspring usually have a good few at that price.
    The ‘Pro’ versions are tougher, but you don’t see them on sale much.

alishand

Vans as previously said – depending on the type of BMX a mid / high top might be a good idea for ankle protection.

Another option might be Loteks? They have really strong soles – my last pair of Lotek Night Wolfs lasted three years, with the fabric going long before the sole eventually split (on and off brakeless rider at that point).

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

On offer FiveTen’s

Whatever you do, don’t buy Five Tens for BMXing.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Don’t know if BMX requirements are any different to MTB, but these seem to be working well for me at the moment:
    Five Ten Freerider from Scotby Cycles
    10% off if you sign up to newsletter first and a bit of Quidco cashback too makes them fairly reasonable.

kayla1
    Free Member

Any Vans with a waffle sole. I like low top canvas ones (on all my bikes) but then I’m not busting mad moves at the park, which is how I think The Kids are talking nowadays.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheapo Sombrios if CRC have any left? I like mine – comfy, grippy and not too special looking.

colournoise

qwerty – Member
    Grippy shoes for BMXing
    Vans Half Cab Pro is the default answer.

Any idea how they would work for MTB?

Got two old pairs of ‘flat’ shoes – Vans Gravel and 5:10 Freeriders. Need a new pair of something and new Freeriders would be the default but I like the Gravels better (no idea why they stopped making them).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Skate shoes should work.

Just so happens, and if you’re a 9…. *inserts cheeky classifieds link here*

kayla1
    Free Member

Vans are great for riding bikes in- BMX, MTB, gravel, gnarmac, #enduro, downhill, uphill, sideways, whatever… 😀 I used to have a pair or half cabs BITD and they’re pretty bullet proof.

Adidas Fender Crawlers were awesome.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grippy shoes for BMXing and general bike related messing about’ is closed to new replies.