Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Grindleford/Stanage Route Advice and a Question Concerning Cut Gate
  • monksie
    Free Member

Does anybody have a route description or link to a route that heads out from Grindleford and includes Stanage Edge please?
    I did a couple of routes a few years ago, one with NBT and another with Flash but I can’t remember the routes. They both included Redmires if that helps?
    Also, bearing in mind the wet weather round here recently, does Cut Gate get boggy just above the Ladybower end of things only? I’m thinking of riding over to the Langsett end of it and maybe riding as far over as possible before turning back.
    I need to start getting some miles in. The belly is expanding by the day.
    Thank you.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’m about 2 miles from Langsett and the last 2 days have been atrocious, the bit along Mickledon Edge must be a river by now and the minute it levels off towards Cut Gate it will be very boggy, saying that the “improvements” could just save the day as there is far more rockery than in previous years. Just dont try going down to North America to make a loop as you will definitely drown!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ygm

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’d be on the road to Langsett and then off road heading toward Ladybower as far as possible. Well, that was the idea anyway.

BadlyWiredDog

You can get to Langsett with minimal road from the Hadfield end of things – straight down the Longdendale Trail, follow it across the road a couple of times, drop down to Dunford Bridge, follow old railway line, then cut up right towards the Flouch on bridleway. Slower but a lot more mellow than rubbing shoulders with artics on the Woodhead.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks Badly, that does sound much nicer. I don’t mind Snake Pass at all but Woodhead as you are obviously aware, is an arse of a road on a bicycle.

BadlyWiredDog

No worries, I hate the Woodhead with a passion, a really unpleasant road particularly if there’s any sort of sidewind. The only thing that’s slightly difficult with that route is spotting the turn off from the disused railway, it’s just before a bridge over the trail and goes up on narrow steps on the lefthand side, then over the bridge and off towards the Flouch. Just here.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

If I can add my thoughts, instead of losing all your height on the road to Dunford and then getting clagged up on the TPT towards Hazlehead, believe me it’s not nice, you could turn onto the A628 at the Dunford turning at Fiddlers Green and ride alongside the road on a wide grass verge to the top of the hill and then pick up what is known as the Snow road down parallel to the A628, crossing at the Dog and Partridge and into the Langsett woods just past the pub. This is quite a nice section and brings you out by the cobbled descent and bridge taking you up onto Cut Gate. Done this loads of times and it is generally fine. Also at the point that BWD has marked where you get off the trail, there is a tiny section of footpath taking you onto Thurlestone Moor which the local farmer is very antagonistic about bikes and horses using, it was a cock up when the bridleway was re-routed and he has put a number of signs up and has confronted several local riders when he has caught them.

BadlyWiredDog

Fair point. To be realistic you lose the height anyway, regardless of which way down you do it. You just lose it in a different place.

monksie
    Free Member

Top stuff, thanks very much. I’ll get the map out tonight and start planning it.
    I can’t get to your email until tonight Racing but thanks also in advance.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

BWD, the Snow Road at 20mph is much more exciting than the tarmac down to Dunford at 30mph, Scalextric a go go. 😀

simonm
    Free Member

another + for the Snow Road but, never ever ever try to ride the bridleway from Start of Snowroad to Dunford Bridge road unless its been dry for about 2 years.. There used to be signs up closing it to cycles/walkers when its been a very rainy, don’t know if they still do that but its good advice !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Grindleford/Stanage Route Advice and a Question Concerning Cut Gate’ is closed to new replies.