Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Grinding your gears.
  • Merak

People referring to inanimate objects, in particular bikes, and also cars as ‘she’

mogrim

Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz put it more succinctly in an address to the Society of Sponsors of the United States Navy:
    “A ship is always referred to as ‘she’ because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder.”

Analogously, so too bikes and cars.

Merak

And folk that turn their bikes upside down for a puncture repair or such
    like, hate that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dux
    Free Member

Non bike related but what really boils my beans is people that stand still on escalators! Its just a moving set of stairs for f*$^ sake. Those that stand still are blissfully ignorant of all those behind them that want to walk.

I have used the stairs when i can for some years now… god it winds me up

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Steed, rig.

Both properly grate. It’s a bike FFS!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Having nothing important to fret about leads to fretting needlessly over inconsequential things.
    Btw, why not remove and replace wheels with the bike inverted? It’s a hell of a lot easier.

RealMan
    Free Member

Btw, why not remove and replace wheels with the bike inverted? It’s a hell of a lot easier.

Oh dear god.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Those that stand still are blissfully ignorant of all those behind them that want to walk.

That`ll be me then,,,,,,,sozz

Merak

Folk that refer to ‘running’ a component or tyre. You use them. There’s no ‘running’ involved. They are a component parts that you utilise. Really rips my knitting out that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I ran a company for bit. But the staff got tyred. Thems the brakes; go figure!!¥

Piss feeling warm yet?

njee20
    Free Member

The express ‘grinds your gears’ makes me cringe.

Pook

people who don’t turn their bike upside down out of some mis placed sense of superiority and then do that stupid waggle dance with flailing limbs trying to get the wheel out of the bike. Generally in the middle of the trail.

jamj1974

“Non bike related but what really boils my beans is people that stand still on escalators! Its just a moving set of stairs for f*$^ sake. Those that stand still are blissfully ignorant of all those behind them that want to walk.
    I have used the stairs when i can for some years now… god it winds me up”

I bet you also climb up lift cables as well and are narked by those who use the lift itself…

jekkyl

I don’t get why you wouldn’t turn your bike upside down, this is a new one on me. I had a puncture on the canal the other day, there didn’t happen to be a workstand around at the time so I turned my bike upside down.

jon1973
    Free Member

And folk that turn their bikes upside down for a puncture repair or such
    like, hate that.

You need to chill out, life is far to short to get wound up by things like that.

spchantler
    Free Member

I had a puncture on the canal the other day

how did this happen, was it one of those aquabike thingys?

convert

The express ‘grinds your gears’ makes me cringe.

Agreed, they are right at the top of the cockend chart for me too!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Two big pet hates right now are both car related. people who sit in a queue with the brake lights beaming in your face. Don’t they know where the hand brake is?

second, Satnav in the middle of the windscreen. do you have any idea how much of the road you can’t see now? no wonder cyclists are getting wiped out left right and centre.

What’s this about not turning your bike upside down to mend a puncture ?

Ewan
    Free Member

second, Satnav in the middle of the windscreen. do you have any idea how much of the road you can’t see now? no wonder cyclists are getting wiped out left right and centre.

I put mine in the centre of the windscreen but lower down. I figure it’s safer as generally anything that is obscured by it (which isn’t much) must have traversed across my field of view already. The other option is at the side next to the A pillars – that’s dangerours because it increases the size of your blind spot there, also it’s the place most likely to have something dart out at you…

tenfoot

One of our regular group of riders is a roadie who has recently bought a mtb. He won’t turn his bike upside down, and as a result, we all end up standing there watching him trying to line his wheel up correctly when he puts it all back together again. The back wheel is the worst.

Still, that’s his choice. If we all did the same, life would be dull.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

If you only have these little things to annoy you, life aint to bad 😉

jekkyl

if you don’t turn your bike upside down when mending a puncture, doesn’t this mean you rest the bike on the mech?

joao3v16
    Free Member

People referring to inanimate objects, in particular bikes, and also cars as ‘she’

The only thing worse than this, is people giving names to their bikes, cars and other inanimate objects … morons 😀

mogrim

I don’t get why you wouldn’t turn your bike upside down, this is a new one on me.

Still do it, but as a result the computer is scratched, and the bell always ends up twisted round. So I can see why some people wouldn’t want to do it.

…the computer is scratched…

Bar ends. 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member

All my bikes are male.

Does this mean I am gay?

It would explain the tight t-shirt I am wearing.

PiknMix
    Free Member

posts like this really grind my gears, whoopsie do something pisses you off!!!

Merak

People who wear pyjamas to nip to the shops.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

if

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

…the computer is scratched…

Bar ends.
    then

the bell always ends up twisted round.

=
    bell-ends?

racefaceec90

at the moment it’s all the bloomin rain 😡 when is it going to stop? 🙁

even the ducks are using boats 😆

Frankenstein
    Free Member

STW forum Grumps lol

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Grinding your gears.’ is closed to new replies.