Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • greno woods: walkers on film
  • Pook

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8WHrHSxvU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

No cyclist, horse rider or wildlife trust representation. Nimbyism or valid points raised?

wwaswas

flicked through and everyone seems to be anti everything that they don’t want to do in the woods.

Is that a fair summary?

benjii19
    Free Member

Miserable Bimbling Bumbling Idiots that haven’t got a clue.

philtricklebank

Very one sided and bigoted views in this film. One walker seemed upset that he no longer had the woods to himself and now has to, perish the thought, SHARE with cyclists and other users.

The lady bemoaning the drainage bars in the bridleway doesn’t appear to think a horse can cope with rough ground.

Intolerant NIMBY local hate-piece with no long term view or any knowledge of woodland management. I think Sheffield Wildlife Trust should create a video in response, for all the good it will do.

I suspect we may be nearer to identifying the folk who have recently vandalised the new MTB signage in Greno Woods.

uggski

Amazing how quickly those machines cut and strip those trees.

jameso

no long term view or any knowledge of woodland management

What is the reason for cutting the trees? There’s a lot going on in my local area in the last year or so and assumed it’s for profit more than management but I really don’t know. I also guess a lot of it is commercial / FC forest anyway so it’ll happen from time to time.

ninfan
    Free Member

Working in forestry when I left school, I quickly learned that most people think that forests are some sort of an extension of their local municipal park, rather than a working landscape.

Personally, I’d happily fence every bugger out of them until they passed an exam!

rickmeister

Its their own fault for straying on to McMoonters estate…

steel4real
    Free Member

Gotta say that some of those new cycle tracks in Greno are pretty poor.

The descent lines are pretty good but some of the other stuff – 8 ft wide of claggy clay where once there was woodland singletrack and not even in the logged areas. Who on earth thinks anyone wants that ???

thepodge
    Free Member

I think its a case of “build it and they will come” but they only have volunteers to maintain it. That’s why they wanted a bazillion pounds for Lady Cannings

steel4real
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the descents are built but the rest of it is more along the lines of just drive a bull dozer along here to make a track – result, no more single track :-(.

dabble
    Free Member

Who on earth thinks anyone wants that ???

Grab a shovel and dig it how you want it to be.

ahwiles
    Free Member

jameso – Member

What is the reason for cutting the trees?

most (almost all) of the trees being felled are pine trees.

some Broadleaf trees will be felled for a variety of reasons:

1) to break the canopy a bit.
    2) so that they can replant with a sapling to give a range of ages (it’s not a fantastic idea to have a stand of trees all more or less the same age – if your aim is to benefit the habitat)
    3) disease.
    4) to stop trees encroaching on the area that’s designated for ‘heathland’
    5) etc.

etc.

(SWT do seem to have a knack doing things in a baffling way, all in the name of ‘management’, but accidentally making a tidy profit)

torsoinalake
    Free Member

How depressing are that lot?

Flicked through, and it was all, “I’ll be dead soon, like those trees”.

Cheer up guys, at least you still get to walk in the woods.

asterix
    Free Member

it always amazes me how keen people are, especially when on video, to spout utter crap about stuff they don’t know anything about (e.g. in this case trees, woods, wildlife, cycling, horses, trails….

xcgb
    Free Member

They all talk funny! 🙂

Pook

Do we know how much money was raised by bikers to contribute to the purchase and secure future management of the woods?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Saw this the morning but have only just got found to watching it….

Wow, what a bunch of miserable, depressing so and so’s. If they Kobe so much about forest management, they should do it for a living. Being such experts, their services would be in high demand. Guessing that they’d be less fussed about the damage done when their hisses were built…

I think the lady was the worst, couldn’t wait to get a dig in about cyclists. The person talking about the aftermath bent dangerous for dogs made me chuckle. The never run off into dense undergrowth do they? I’m sure they’ll be fine with a few stumps.

richpips
    Free Member

I think they’re gutted now that they’ve got no cover for their dogs shitting everywhere rather than picking it up as they should do.

That’s my expert opinion.

antigee

I used to run and ride regularly in Greno woods from the late 80’s thru to 2013 and forestry work over the decades and the damage to tracks has been similar – BUT native species were replaced by conifers and tracks were not reformed and for the last 10years or so there has been no active management of the woodland leaving a lot to catch up to return to the state the woodland should be in.

SWT have my wholehearted support – as they support multi-use, public access and the planting of native species –
    From their website
    “The Wildlife Trust for Sheffield and Rotherham continues its sustainable management of Greno Woods. We have been felling (mainly conifer) trees to encourage future growth of native broadleaf species and improve the diversity of wildlife species in the woods.

The green area on the amended plan (right) shows the extra work that was only agreed by FC late in the day (after the consultation plan went out). The work involves thinning mixed conifers and sweet chestnut (both non-native) within this area to favour oak and birch (both native).

Felling is due for completion mid-January with the site clear-up and reparations of paths taking place when conditions are dry enough after this.

We apologise for any disruption caused.

We will be planting the orange areas in the above plan with native broadleaf trees including oak, rowan and holly. This work will be completed by the end of March this year.”

more at http://www.wildsheffield.com/nature-reserves/more-about-our-reserves/greno-woods

steveh

Steel4real if you’re talking about the new bridleway climb from the end of pub run back to the top then wasn’t put in for cyclists but was done by the Wildlife trust and was heavily influenced by the horseriders, who incidentally wanted it wider than it is now!

jekkyl

Looks like there’s still plenty of woods left for everyone, they should consider themselves lucky.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Jekkyl…exactly. They’re in a great part of the country with access to many beautiful areas without having to stay under tree cover.

I used to ride in Greno / Wharncliffe when I lived in Sheffield and never encountered grumpy sods like this lot.

Pook

What’s most saddening is the narrow minded ness of it. They did a very similar exercise in woods near my parents. It looked a mess thinning trees, coppicing etc but within a year or so it had settled into a lovely, gladed woodland and there was a noticeable increase in flora and fauna.

Contrast that with the patch of unmanaged woodland down the road and the ground is snarled with bramble, it’s almost silent, dark, dank and noticeably lifeless.

This is nimbyism of the highest order. And really annoying as the editor is someone I know well.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I used to ride in Greno / Wharncliffe when I lived in Sheffield and never encountered grumpy sods like this lot.

Try doing it while carrying a spade and rake across your handlebars. I did a fair bit of building in Wharncliffe in the late nineties/earlier noughties and lost count of the abuse I used to get from locals accusing me of being an outsider coming in and destroying their beautiful natural habitat.

Despite me repeatedly pointing out that I myself was a born and bred local with an intense love of every square inch of that area, that the trees are a plantation regularly harvested for profit, that there’s been nothing natural about that hillside since it was lowland health and that the entire area is riddled with 12 foot wide gravel roads, drainage ditches and electricity pylons, that if you open your eyes you see it’s littered with the remains of a once thriving ganister mining industry, including a cable car and train track bed, not to mention the neighbouring landfill site, two sewerage treatment plants, a paper mill, the constant hum of traffic from one of the main road routes out of the north of Sheffield and the fact that the place is sliced across its entire length by an active railway that was until relatively recently the main commuter and freight route between Sheffield and Manchester, and that even if I were to somehow boost my trail-building productivity a hundredfold they still wouldn’t actually be negatively affected by my actions nor, more likely, would they ever even see any of it, and that the only alternative on offer in the area for local kids like me was petty crime, drinking beer and taking drugs in the local park, I never seemed to have much of an impact on their bizarre view of the idyllic natural oasis provided specifically and exclusively for the mental wellbeing of local dog owners by God Himself at the dawn of time.

jekkyl

Excellent mini rant there jack, sounds like you’ve been wanting to get that out for a while.

wwaswas

*applauds jackthedog*

chapeau.

rusty90
    Free Member

the idyllic natural oasis provided specifically and exclusively for the mental wellbeing of local dog owners by God Himself at the dawn of time

Nice one. Saved for future use.

Northwind

You get some mad responses from walkers if you’re out with a shovel, I spent ages on a popular local riding/dog walking trail fixing a big sump that had become a permanent swamp due to failed drains, a dogwalker squelched by up to mid-calf in mud it and said “I hope you’re not making that easier for the cyclists”. Well I am but also you’ll be able to walk your dog without a snorkel!

But all that changed since I got my green softshell, now everyone assumes I’m a ranger or forestry commission :mrgreen: Only inconvenient part is giving out loads of directions

funkrodent

+1 for jackthedog.

That is one of the most well thought out, well worded and well delivered rants I’ve ever had the privilege to read. Whilst I’m not from the area and have never been to the woods in question, I can 100% relate to what he’s saying.

Good work sir!

globalti
    Free Member

Most of them are retired teachers aren’t they?

DanW
    Free Member

I like this quote 😀 Horses have historically obviously only ever had to traverse smooth asphalt 🙄

They are putting in bumps on a bridleway. Bumps are lethal to horses because they can’t see them.

I also like how the lady in the green gloves rant on about mountain bikers screeching around scaring everyone then the video cuts to a considerate group slowly riding past 😀

martinhutch

I used to have to sit through three-hour parish council meetings in a professional capacity. Thanks for bringing the memories flooding back. 😡

Burger

From JackTheDog

the only alternative on offer in the area for local kids like me was petty crime, drinking beer and taking drugs in the local park,

you could add to that list ‘getting your daughter up the duff’ when explaining your alternatives to the objectors. Might drive the point home.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘greno woods: walkers on film’ is closed to new replies.