Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Greno or Wharncliffe, or somewhere else this weekend?
  • rnn14
    Free Member

Ok. thanks to mcmoonter i’m now able to get out on my bike for the first time this year.

I am in Sheffield and will be riding here for the first time, I was going to head upto Wharncliffe and go exploring, but I keep reading stories of it not being very well marked?

What are the trails like in Greno over the road? I’m struggling to find any info on them, if there are any at all?

I’m not looking for anything too epic of a ride, especially as it’s the first of the season for me, but a mix of XC and DH would be great.

So, really i’m looking for suggestions, i’m in Central Sheffield, so anything that’s not too far away would be great.

Tim

antigee

theres a fund raising fun day in greno woods on saturday 16th so will be busy in area – not that i want to put you off donating to help the cause – plenty for peeps with kids to do –

http://www.grenowoods.com/

edit and heres a link to the help by buying 10sqm for £10 bit
    http://www.grenowoods.com/10m-for-10pounds

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Wharncliffe is riding really well at the moment and brilliant fun – if you know where to go or get shown! It would be hard to get hopelessly lost but easy to miss the best stuff.

Greno has no official trails so little to no info on riding in there due to the above recent change in ownership. Again, pretty easy to explore and a couple of decent descents.

Either drive to the top car park on the Woodhead Road or ride to Oughtibridge, get yourself into the woods and explore would be the best way to get your bearings. Should be plenty of riders around to ask for pointers or head to Old Yew Gate fireroad (visible on Google Maps) and explore the tracks that drop down and link up to Plank Gate. Just be aware some of the DH tracks are very technical and there’s a couple of big drops and road gaps to watch out for!

rnn14
    Free Member

That sounds good, thanks gravity-slave .. I’ve printed some trail maps off and grabbed an OS map app for my phone.

I think what we’ll do is start from the top car park, and head along the trail to the Old Yew Gate fireroad and then drop down one of the DH tracks. Can you suggest something that might be passable on a H/T, my friend is riding one, from the map i’d say that Fastrack is the one to aim for, are they marked?

Once we get bored we’ll attempt to rejoin the trail and head back to the car park.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

From the top car park, head into the woods through the gate and keep your eyes peeled for signs on the right. You should find the top of the red trail with ease and follow the most fun bit.

When you pop out on the fire road (where exactly might vary!), stay right at the junctions and you should get to the top fire road and see the valley dropping away from you.

Fast Track is great fun and – look on Google for Stockhorn Gap. Should be fine on a hardtail if he pumps the back tyre up for the first couple of rock gardens!

The only downside is once on Plank Gate, it’s fire roads all the way back to the top car park.

Turn left of right and follow your nose! Left is longer and more gentle – right takes you up ‘heart attack’ if you want a nice steep climb!

rnn14
    Free Member

Spent the morning in Wharncliffe, struggled finding some of trails, but overall had fun, I think it’s a place that will be tough to beat when you know your way around.

Bike did well too, no real dramas, thanks for the advice.

simonm
    Free Member

missed your post but take a look at the maps section on http://www.wharncliffe.info

thepodge
    Free Member

as always, I’m up for showing people round, I know it like the back of my hand now and if you know where to look you can avoid the fire road back up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Greno or Wharncliffe, or somewhere else this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.