Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • greg lemond for uci
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

well he’s going to throw his hat in the ring– good on him i say.

jota180
    Free Member

I hope any skeletons are well buried

mikey74
    Free Member

Is he bulletproof? He’s going to need to be.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevewhyte
    Free Member

He must be, can you imagine if he wasn’t.

mikey74
    Free Member

By the way, my “bulletproof” comment was in no way a reference to his hunting accident years ago 8)

piemonster

Are there any bullet proof Tour winners?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Yes

piemonster

Struggling, give us a clue?

That said, Lemond is certainly a far better candidate than the incumbent ****nut

rudebwoy
    Free Member

he is at least untainted, has been consistently anti doping even when ist was pariah status to do such– remember Armstrong’s digs at him….

fontmoss
    Free Member

more than digs, trek binned the lemond contract and rebranded the bikes gary fisher…

piemonster

It’d be nice for the UCI to have a President that (in a believable way) actually wants a clean sport.

Wonder if it’ll actually happen

icarus
    Free Member

It will be great to have a UCI president who was a great bike rider(tour winner,world champion etc.),anyone know how the voting process works?

mrmo
    Free Member

to be honest i am perplexed by Lemond, part of me can’t see how he could be clean, so many from the era were on something. But i am sure that Armstrong would have arranged a leak if there was anything to leak.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

mrmo – Member

to be honest i am perplexed by Lemond, part of me can’t see how he could be clean, so many from the era were on something. But i am sure that Armstrong would have arranged a leak if there was anything to leak.

I hear you but his palmares is amazing and has been since he was a junior. Consistently good throughout his career and would have been even better had the shooting not robbed him of some of his best years. He should have won his first tour a year earlier. His VO2max is one of the highest recorded in sport (behind some cross country skier(s)).

I do find it hard to believe any one is clean but Lemond was pre EPO and he has been so vociferous in his condemnation of dopers that you think he must know he is clean (or stupid).

Good on him. His worlds win in Chambery with kelly and fignon et al was awesome in horrible conditions. true greats

mudshark
    Free Member

He’s been a thorn in Armstrong’s side since 2001, gotta be a good guy!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Was Lemond pre EPO? Nt suggesting he was on it, but could he have, or did it come in a bit later.

mrmo
    Free Member

Lemond was pre EPO, but Fignon admitted to doping, as have many others, it was just different drugs. If you read Fignon it seems the change happened around 1993ish. Lemond may well have been clean, he is certainly someone who talked the talk in recent years, even to the extent that it has cost him alot of money.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Just meant that it didn’t seem widespread at the time Lemond was riding. Felt it was around the time Indurain started to struggle in 1994 onwards (which incidentally was when lemond retired). All sorts of riders came to the fore. Fignon mentions it also at the end of his career (1992)when domestiques were ripping th peleton to bits on EPO.

Festina was 98 and EPO found. Riis won in 98 but joined Telekom in 96 so my gues was that EPO wasnt really used when Lemond won in 89 and certainly not when he won in 86 … I could be wrong 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Wiikipedia suggest epogen was introduced in 1989, which sets the earliest date.
    it also suggests that Conconi was transfusing blood earlier.

convert

Eddy Merckx got done a couple of times in his career and obviously we know all know what happened from the mid nineties. Just don’t buy it was whiter than white between the two. Of course Lemond could have been the exception…

aP
    Free Member

Even more amazingly most of you guys going on about how great he is were all Lemond haters in those years before lalalala Armstrong got pawned.

JCL
    Free Member

Watch the 89 Tour. I’ve never seen a guy so un-drugged as Lemond in that race. He was blowing up all over the shop, digging in, getting back on etc.

That said, who really knows? However, he comes across great though and I can’t think of anyone better so good luck to him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps the UCI would be better if they were not lead by roadies. Maybe after that we may get a more representative governing body of the whole sport.

atlaz
    Free Member

The problem is, in terms of money, every other form of cycling (except maybe keirin in Japan) is a sideshow compared to road cycling. Look at the accounts and you’ll see road cycling brings in nearly all of the UCI’s money and some MTB events (DH other than the champs) cost them money rather than making a profit. The problem is not that it’s run by roadies, it’s like a lot of federations and clubs in that it’s run by a clique and they elect people who fit in (i.e. those who want to maintain the status quo).

I don’t think anyone would have an issue if LeMond was UCI president and he’s as much a roadie as you could find.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘greg lemond for uci’ is closed to new replies.