Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Green Tea- any good?
  • rossi46
    Free Member

I’ve heard alot about Green Tea and it’s supposed health benefits recently Clicky Linky – has anyone tried it? Is it any good?
    Seeing as i hate the taste of tea of any sorts (weird yes i know!!), i was thinking about trying the extract tablet form.
    My mother in law swears by it and has been taking it for arthritis for the past month and says it has worked wonders for her. As i have severe Crohns disease and a colstomy i thought the benefits for me would be worth a shot!
    Also, does anyone know of a good reputable place where i can get some for a decent price (£15 for 30 tablets seems a bit steep!!). I have to have tablets as capsules are no good for me. Most places seem to do capsules only…..

Thanks for looking people!!!

juiced
    Free Member

i drink it reguarly. It’s amazing stuff. I have found that it helps me lose weight too. It calms a hektic mind, and me me feel awesome after i’ve been doing excercise too. Be careful drinking it late as it can make you very awake, even though the caffine contect is not that high.
    It can also aid digestion and has ime a mild laxative effect.

Just get the teabags from tescos’ etc – if you do not like the taste get bags with lemon added. – Costs a couple of pounds.

Hairychested
    Free Member

juiced
    Free Member

do not understand that pic Hairychested? Are you suggesting it’s all nonsense?

rossi46
    Free Member

Haha- think he’s trying to say that it tastes like seawater!

Dont think id like the taste of it either which is why i’ll try some extract tabs. Plus they’ll have the equivalent of drinking 15 cups of the stuff!

juiced
    Free Member

i double or treble up my bags and like guiness you get used to the taste.

kaesae
    Free Member

I drink green tea all the time as well as peppermint and quite a few others. I love it, but I don’t drink coffee or black tea, it’s revolting.

There are lots of good tea’s and herbal remedies, have you tried goji berrie or kombucha tea ❓ If you don’t really like the taste of the tea add some honey 😀

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I would recommend Teapigs Green Tea…To be honest I would recommend any of there products..

Bit more expensive but taste amazing and you can reuse 2/3 times.

Teapigs

Karl33to
    Free Member

I love green tea, although not the nasty green dust you get in little bags from the supermarket. As for health benefits, I can’t honestly say that I’ve really notice any difference at all since I started drinking it regularly a couple of years ago.

Although not strictly a tea, chamomile really does seem to make a noticeable difference to stomach complaints, and sounds more like what you are looking for.

If you want the best quality: http://jingtea.com/
    Or for good value: http://www.nbtea.co.uk/

Karl33to
    Free Member

Kbrembo – I totally agree, The teapigs Mao Feng is excellent!

Cougar

There’s two questions here. Let’s look at them separately.

1) Is green tea any good?

Yes, it is. It’s quite mild compared to black tea, so even if you “don’t like tea” it’s worth a punt; as a comparison, it’s like avoiding lager because you don’t like guinness. Lemon tea tastes of lemon, not tea.

2) Will it prevent cancer, help you live longer, make your kids go to college and stop the milk in your fridge from going off?

Of course it won’t. Most (all?) of the wild claims on that page are unproven at best. If there was any truth at all in it, you wouldn’t have to ask on here because we’d all be doing it. If you want an unbiased opinion you need to look somewhere that isn’t trying to sell you expensive vitamin supplements.

If you want to improve your health, I’d suggest a balanced diet and more exercise, rather than wasting your money on woo-peddlers.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I drink green tea every day at work, but only because it solves the problem of taking milk onto a building site every day (I drink coffee at home) I have no idea if it’s doing me any good, but I certainly find it extremely refreshing – specially on a hot day. I don’t know, but I suspect, that green tea, garlic, vitamin C, etc, doesn’t have quite the same effect when taken in tablet form – processing tends to change and remove stuff.

Xylene
    Free Member

Love it, drank if for years now.

Dad got into it as well and being a posh **** started buying fancy teas from around the world, something like 10grams for 25 quid was about the point mum told him to settle down and drink green tea from tesco like everybody else.

Northwind

It’s got to be good for you, can’t see why anyone would drink it if it wasn’t, horrible stuff.

yunki
    Free Member

it tastes disgusting so it must be doing some good..

although probably not nearly as much good as a good strong everlasting mug of builders tea first thing in the morning..

eyerideit
    Free Member

It is very good, hot or cold. You could buy some from your local Chinese supermarket if you have one and buy some gunpowder tea. It’s loose leaf and air dried, so you can start off with a few leaves., then as you get used to the taste you can up your dosage.

You get loads in a box and it last for ages. If you don’t have a local Chinese Market you can probably order it online.

http://shop.waiyeehong.com/drinks/teas-hot-drinks/tea/special-gunpowder-green-tea-loose-1

If you really don’t like it, try redbush (roibos), which you can take it with milk and sugar.

rossi46
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am currently taking green tea capsules (although i have to crack em open on a teaspoon and swallow the powder with some water- very hard not to gag!!), and i must say that they’ve made me feel more alert and awake, and i lost nearly 4 LBS in a week.
    These capsules are the equivalent of drinking 20 cups of the stuff a day, so theyre quite concentrated.
    I got them from Holland and Barrett- they do various strengths, not doing things by half i decided to go all out and get the strongest!
    I tried the Green tea with lemon and its allright with two sugars in, but im not really a tea drinker….

MartinGT
    Free Member

Love it 🙂 Green tea with lemon ahhhh 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

you might want to try white tea as a drink then (it’s not just tea with milk in either!); it’s even milder than green tea, taste-wise, but the health claims are that it contains even more anti-oxidants than green (the tea buds are picked from the plant younger basically).
    whittards white tea with cherry blossom is my current hot drink of choice. it’s brilliant.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Another fan here, I quite like the Rooibosh (spelling?) & Pure brands for tea bags & jing tea for not.

Not sure what health benefits there are or are not but I do find it excellent if I am a bit de-hydrated, can often get rid of the slight headache after a long ride by drinking a couple of mugs of it

ocrider

After couscous or a tagine. With mint. Otherwise forget it.

andyl
    Free Member

Best place to get green tea is a chinese supermarket.

The jasmine one is nice in the evening. Normal in the day. You can also get mint ones which some people like (not me, tastes like chewing gum).

Bags are easy, loose leaves better. You wait until they sink in your cup and then drink. Also nice to have a little chinese tea pot and cups so you can decant a little at a time and keeps the taste separate from normal tea.

molgrips
    Free Member

has anyone tried it? Is it any good?

Depends if you like green tea or not 🙂

There are tons of different kinds of tea varying from etching fluid to mildly flavoured hot water. And that’s before you start adding flavourings etc.

Green tea can be quite astringent, it can be mild. If I get stuff that’s too string I just brew it weaker. Had some from Twinnings that was a bit yucky when brewed for the 4 mins it suggested, so in the end I was brewing for about 10-20 secs and had a lovely light refreshing drink.

Cure cancer? No, but it is very good for you.

heywayne
    Free Member

Now green tea is one thing – white tea is supposedly even better! Both an acquired taste I’d suggest.

I’m a bit of an ‘erbal tea fan meself, and Pukka Herbs do some pretty decent blends!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I drink builders tea.

rossi46
    Free Member

Im an odd one myself, as i really quite like Lipton iced tea (the Lemon one is really rather spiffing) but i cant stand tea when its hot! Weird??

Anyone tried any other tea as an iced cold drink?

Iced green tea?

molgrips
    Free Member

You can ice any tea.

Iced green tea is available in the US.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i had a bottle of liptons iced green tea with lemon last week.
    so it’s available here too.
    most refreshing, it was.

redx

Zipvit.com might be worth a try as a cheaper source of tablets….

rossi46
    Free Member

i had a bottle of liptons iced green tea with lemon last week.
    so it’s available here too.
    most refreshing, it was

Is it widely available, ive never seen it. I could just make my own i guess- Tescos do their own green tea with lemon teabags for 70p. For 15 bags- thats got to be good value!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i think i actually got it from asda!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Green Tea- any good?’ is closed to new replies.