Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Green Party is like a car crash…
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member
    mrlebowski
    Free Member

Doh!

CountZero

I saw the news earlier, I was squirming with embarrassment.
    They want to force motorcyclists off of powerful bikes onto scooters and moped-type bikes as well; you can imagine how well that proposal is going down!
    From bikechatforums:

Dear Danny

Thanks for your email, apologies for the delay in replying.

Our policy on motorbikes is that Smaller, low powered motorcycles are
    generally preferable to cars (especially those with a single occupant)
    as
    they take up less road space and are more economic consumers of fuel.
    However, the Green Party does not wish to see increased use of
    motorcycles
    because they emit pollution and noise and can endanger road users. The
    aim
    is to encourage much less use of high powered machines and for low
    powered
    machines to offer an alternative for those who currently use these or
    cars
    and could not transfer to more sustainable modes.
    The Green Party would take measures to encourage a transfer of motor
    cycle
    manufacture and use from larger, powerful machines to less powerful
    ones
    including scooters and mopeds. These would include setting and
    enforcing
    strict noise limits and, for higher powered machines, speed limiters.
    For the safety of other users, the Green Party does not feel it
    appropriate
    for motorcyclists to be able to use any priority measures put in for
    pedestrians and cyclists, including those shared with public transport.

Best wishes

Greg Patton
    Administrative Officer
    The Green Party
    020 7272 4474

Amazing, they lost my vote in just one e-mail. Laughing

lemonysam
    Free Member

TR320 Smaller, low powered motorcycles are generally preferable to cars (especially those with a single occupant) as they take up less road space and are more economic consumers of fuel. However, the Green Party does not wish to see increased use of motorcycles because they emit pollution and noise and can endanger road users. The aim is to encourage much less use of high powered machines and for low powered machines to offer an alternative for those who currently use these or cars and could not transfer to more sustainable modes.

TR321 The Green Party would take measures to encourage a transfer of motor cycle manufacture and use from larger, powerful machines to less powerful ones including scooters and mopeds. These would include setting and enforcing strict noise limits and, for higher powered machines, speed limiters.

TR322 For the safety of other users, the Green Party does not feel it appropriate for motorcyclists to be able to use any priority measures put in for pedestrians and cyclists, including those shared with public transport.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/tr.html

Doesn’t exactly seem insane to me…

CountZero

Doesn’t exactly seem insane to me…

Clearly you don’t ride a bike.
    If you don’t understand, I’m not sure I can explain it to you.

MSP

LOL, because he doesn’t think the policy is insane, you think he doesn’t understand. Why not just admit you are actually too thick too explain any point you might have.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you don’t understand, I’m not sure I can explain it to you.

Just seems like a strange line in the sand.

You can lead us into illegal wars, you can abandon core manifesto promises and sell out your principles, you can hobble our welfare state and damage our frontline health services but you’ll never enforce a noise limit on my motorbike.

Northwind

It’s hard to argue with speed limiters really, I mean my little 650’s never reached its top speed, 186mph’d be no more useful than a set of number plate testicles to me… I mean really, what is your rational argument against a limit that stops bikes from going at over 2 and a half times the speed limit?

The bus lane thing is daft though, all the evidence shows that allowing ptws in bus lanes reduces congestion but also makes roads safer. (counterintuitive- it seems like people are more cautious around bus lanes when they think there might be a ton of bandit 12 in it doing a thousand miles an hour, rather than just some pushbiker they can knock over with impunity.)

kayla1
    Free Member

I ride a motorcycle. I’ve been racing and I enjoy trackdays, which is just riding round in circles burning fuel and 2T oil for the sake of it if we’re honest with ourselves. I’ll gladly forsake that to get a Green government.

nickjb
    Free Member

These threads seem to always get a ‘look a what those crazy greens are up to now’ with a link to a sensible policy that I tend to agree with.

sweepy
    Free Member

Someone has to make the (real) difficult choices, and it’s the Greens. I don’t care how good they are in interview situations.

kelvin

These threads seem to always get a ‘look a what those crazy greens are up to now’ with a link to a sensible policy that I tend to agree with.

Thinking the same.

fin25
    Free Member

The Green Party’s entire argument rests on the understanding that major sacrifices will need to be made now to safeguard our future. This policy is largely in keeping with that wider goal. People have become too used to political parties trying to be all things to all people. The Greens are, well, green. If you don’t agree with their policies, no worries, but I think it would be insane for them to pursue large scale reductions in greenhouse emissions except with regard to motorbikes, because we like motorbikes…

lemonysam
    Free Member

The Greens are, well, green. If you don’t agree with their policies, no worries, but I think it would be insane for them to pursue large scale reductions in greenhouse emissions except with regard to motorbikes, because we like motorbikes…

Clearly you don’t ride a bike.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Tories seem to want to squeeze the poor and the sick for every single penny, whilst letting their wealthy mates off the hook for £60bn a year in tax.

Labour are just Tory-lite. They seem unable to grasp the notion that renationalising certain public services is extremely popular.

The Lib-Dems can’t keep a single manifesto pledge.

We’re running out of electable political parties.

fin25
    Free Member

😆 at lemonysam

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Wot is de greane parti policee on spellin an headyukayshun 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They seem unable to grasp the notion that renationalising certain public services is extremely popular.

Yes it is strange and all the more so as Tony Blair’s/New Labour’s trump card whenever under pressure from the left was always “that would be unpopular with voters” (the other option of “making the case for….whatever” was never even considered).

Ultimately I guess it’s just down to the fact that today’s Labour Party lacks the guts, confidence, and conviction, to take a policy stance that would very unpopular with the Tories and the Tory press which they control, even if it was popular with ordinary working people.

Power lies in the hands of bankers, industrialists, the media they control, and the politicians that they sponsor, not ordinary working people, so better to appease them and let the likes of Rupert Murdoch and Nick Ferrari set the agenda and the priorities.

allthegear
    Free Member

I ride a bike. A nice powerful, noisy 800cc one.

I will happily, however, trade that in for an equivalent electric one as soon as such a thing exists. I don’t need petrol to make it an adventure to ride. Tbh quieter and more environmentally friendly would be kinda cool too.

// mind you I should probably mention I’ll be standing as a Green Party local council candidate in May…

Rachel

PJM1974
    Free Member

What Ernie said.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I wondered over the weekend after learning on friday that another guy I know had been killed on his motorbike if the government would ever ban high powered motorbikes.

First time I had ever given it any thought. I’m clearly not the only one.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Fairly sure the Green Party will move on to wanting to ban mountain bikers on spurious environmental grounds and then other extreme sports for safety reasons, meanwhile legalizing pot and heroin.

Meh.

It’s all pissing in the wind, the best thing we can do now is just adapt to climate change.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I wondered over the weekend after learning on friday that another guy I know had been killed on his motorbike if the government would ever ban high powered motorbikes

People still manage to die on bicycles. How little power would you consider safe?

Northwind

Thing is, high power isn’t really what kills people, most fatal collisions occur within the performance range of most bikes. I learned on a GS500, a 50bhp donkey but it’ll still take you to 115mph if you want. More power gets you up to speed faster and does give you greater ability to highside yourself into space though but, basically, the risk factor isn’t power. I reckon there’s a pretty strong correlation between riding like a fanny and buying a race rep though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fairly sure the Green Party will move on to wanting to ban mountain bikers

Yeah, and I’m fairly sure they will want to ban large TV sets, and loud music, and Christmas, and dancing. And introduce sharia law.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, and I’m fairly sure they will want to ban large TV sets, and loud music, and Christmas, and dancing. And introduce sharia law.

Lot’s of them do hate the soil erosion and having to share trails with chavvy mountain bikers. 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

jota180
    Free Member

I ride a bike. A nice powerful, noisy 800cc one.

I thought you had. A BMW adventure bike, have you changed it?

spooky_b329

Don’t motorbikes cause similar emissions to cars despite their lower weight? I’m sure I read that the legislation on emissions has not kept pace with cars. So it would be a bit mad for any government to want to reduce car emissions but ignore motorbikes.

Motorbikes in bus lanes…they eventually allowed it in Brighton, however apparently the accident rate has gone up, perhaps due to cars pulling through the bus lane into side roads and taking out the now faster bikers.

And whilst we are on bus lanes…anyone reckon buses (and taxi’s) shouldn’t be able to undertake traffic adjacent to a bus lane until they are down to say 15mph? Its scary how those kamikaze drivers will thread an 18 ton bus straight through the middle of a city centre traffic jam at 35mph with no regard for pedestrians and drivers chopping and changing lanes 😯 You don’t see many HGV’s trying to maintain that speed in congested streets.

mtbfix

It’s all pissing in the wind, the best thing we can do now is just adapt to climate change.

Tell that to millions of Bangladeshis who will lose their homes to rising sea levels and millions of sub Saharan Africans who will, unless they move, become Saharan Africans.

wilburt
    Free Member

Seems sensible, they’ve got my vote.

MSP

Lot’s of them do hate the soil erosion and having to share trails with chavvy mountain bikers

You seem to be confusing the green party with the ramblers.

MoreCashThanDash

The point was made above – the Greens are seeking to scale back consumption to secure the long term future of the planet, as they see it.

Most people want to continue to have the wealth and ability to “improve” their quality of life by consuming stuff, and the other parties are happy to pander to that to gain “power”.

I don’t particularly agree with the Greens short term policies, but at least they still have an underlying principle that they believe in.

miketually
    Free Member

I should probably mention I’ll be standing as a Green Party local council candidate in May

All the best people are 😉

joeegg
    Free Member

Not read the Greens manifesto but are they going to target powerful cars and gas guzzling 4 wheel drives. I think they would find very stiff opposition to this due to the lobbying power of motor manufacturers.

kayla1
    Free Member

Perhaps you should read their manifesto and find out for yourself. Something has to change because the system as it is cannot sustain itself, and yes, that might mean that some of us have to stop driving badges.

edited to add- big deal, the motor manufacturers might have to re-purpose their factories and- gasp! – make smaller, lighter, more efficient cars. People will get over it.

edited again- Me and Chris joined the Green Party a few months ago as they have the most policies we agree with and are most likely to enact change (abolishing the monarchy? Sign me up!) despite their being historically unlikely to gain a majority. We’re voting for the policies we agree with and if more people did that and stopped cocking about with ‘tactical’ votes or just not voting at all there might actually be change for the better. For what it’s worth to all you saying that “nowt’ll change”, the Greens do intend to change the voting system should they gain power-

http://policy.greenp….org.uk/pa.html

Our constituency (Easington) didn’t have a Green candidate in 2010 but they have one for this election 😀

Northwind

spooky_b329 – Member

Don’t motorbikes cause similar emissions to cars despite their lower weight? I’m sure I read that the legislation on emissions has not kept pace with cars

The emissions per gram of fuel are higher and fuel efficiency’s lagged so they don’t look as good as they could in the current emissions obsessed climate… but that’s offset by their natural advantages- able to keep moving and cut congestion (which saves you fuel and also saves everyone else fuel), less parking impact and road wear/pressure, and much lower production impact.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Don’t motorbikes cause similar emissions to cars despite their lower weight? I’m sure I read that the legislation on emissions has not kept pace with cars

It probably depends on how you choose to measure it but as my 750cc bike returns fuel economy of over 70mpg and the total cost of taxing it as £80 I’d say that overall it is far less polluting than a car.

If the Greens wanted to maximise their impact then they’d be targetting cars first and only then tacle motorbikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Green Party is like a car crash…’ is closed to new replies.