Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Green Party election broadcast
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

WTF?? 😯

A bunch of crap lookalikes singing a crap song?

really?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What would you like to get out of a 3 minute political broadcast ?

5thElefant
    Free Member

What would you like to get out of a 3 minute political broadcast ?

A sensible bloke talking common sense with a pint?

[video]https://youtu.be/BGAn_T0fXHY[/video]

allthegear
    Free Member

I thought it was brilliant, but then I’m somewhat biased…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Is it time to post up the Berlusconi song? (“Thank goodness for Silvio”. -i believe there is still an English subtitled version on youtube)
    …and he got (re)elected on it!

[edit: here it is!]
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uTVr0zkDfys[/video]

postierich
    Free Member

i liked it!

cbike
    Free Member

“A bunch of crap lookalikes singing a crap song?”

Absolutely hit the nail on the head. That is the point!!!

convert

Despite my best efforts I smiled. Not sure it marks them out as a serious party but I guess maybe that’s the point – greens have always been seen as a bit too earnest.

One thing though – why use someone with a speech impediment to do the talky bit – was difficult to understand on my little laptop.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPgS7p40ERg[/video]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Obviously a ‘marmite’ thing. Didn’t do anything for other than think of them less seriously than before. I’m all for people doing something that makes them stand out, but it just put me off them

cbike
    Free Member

People with speech impediments have jobs too. You just have to deal with it. and get better speakers.

convert

People with speech impediments have jobs too.

With that logic, I demand my lost earnings for a career as a male model that I was cruelly deprived of for being dog ugly.

Rubber_Buccaneer

get better speakers.

I think that was his suggestion.

bearGrease

It was a policy free zone but that’s not surprising as even the Green party leader is oblivious to her own policies.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhWvogL9dc[/video]

matt_outandabout

😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Shite.

RobHilton
    Free Member

That was great! I’ll be voting green now even if they’re **** useless and don’t know what they’re doing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve seen it twice now and the more I see it the more I like it. The reason it appeals to me is precisely because it is extremely high risk and likely to cause a “WTF?” reaction.

The Greens could have gone for a completely safe party political broadcast in which an actor talks to a camera for 3 minutes with faux sincerity making pre-election promises which no one is really interested in and people only vaguely watch while waiting for the next schedule programme to begin. Bland and boring is safe.

But the Greens chose to ignore the safe choice, to take a chance, to do it different, to offer an alternative, to challenge the perceived wisdom concerning party political broadcasts. I like that, it’s different, it’s refreshing. Britain has stale, very stale, politics, it needs new and refreshing.

Whether they have been successful in making their point is an other matter. The OP certainly appears to have failed to understand that a bunch of crap lookalikes singing the same crap song is an issue which deserves any attention.

marcus7
    Free Member

You must have seen a different one to me then, it came across as lazy and had absolutely nothing to say about the greens. I think it’s a real opportunity missed by them as they have a real chance this time for people to listen to them. Making yourself look like you got some sixth form media studies kids to do your broadcast just puts me off. I’m all for a humour if it projects a strong message but for me personally it was a wasted opportunity.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The SNP one was good. The start of trainspotting slowed down a bit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@ marcus7

Perhaps it wasn’t aimed at you. It certainly wasn’t aimed at me.

marcus7
    Free Member

Maybe not and perhaps they were aiming at a younger demographic.. I dunno but I just think it’s a shame that I couldn’t say to myself “fair enough you’ve go a point there!”. I’m still open to persuasion but this won’t help.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Green Party support among 18-24 year olds is massive.

And it is that age range which is most likely to feel unconnected with politics.

Green Party support among young voters climbs to tie with the Tories

I suspect the Green Party has done its homework. They have identified where their support is highest. They know that it is based on the perception that they offer something different. And they also know that young voters are the least likely to feel motivated to vote.

I won’t vote for a political party on the basis of one crap 3 minute broadcast, that would be ridiculous. But equally ridiculous imo would be not to vote for a political party on the basis of one crap 3 minute broadcast.

The broadcast was never going to affect the way I vote. Maybe it was never going to affect the way you vote ?

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, trying to be funny but it is shite.

Trying to poke fun at other parties because they think they are more intelligent … ya right … shite.

Very detached from the real world they are.

🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well thank **** for that ……… you didn’t like it Chewwy 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Well thank **** for that ……… you didn’t like it Chewwy

Well put it this way they are Not funny at all.

I sensed elitist joke there and the message they are giving out is that apart from those who are voting for them the rest of the population are simply too dumb as they are voting for clowns.

I just wasted few minutes of my life away thinking I would be entertained … that’s no entertainment at all.

Even a straight face party political leader broadcast is much more funny.

They are really out of touch. 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thank you for your comments. I particularly enjoyed “Very detached from the real world they are”. Coming from you it had a very special meaning 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    I’ve seen it twice now and the more I see it the more I like it. The reason it appeals to me is precisely because it is extremely high risk and likely to cause a “WTF?” reaction.

Alternatively it’s extremely patronising, to use your favourite accusation, to assume that the young and other will accept fluff rather than properly thought out ideas. Yes guys, you are stupid enough to vote for me, even though I talk complete bollocks……

At least Lucas had the decency to attempt rational arguments. Pity she is not still the leader.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You didn’t enjoy it either THM. So you’ll still be voting Tory then. And Chewwy will still be voting UKIP.

Sounds like a Green Party fail to me it that case.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Haven’t watched it actually. Had enough of Bennett before.. It’s embarrassing, car crash politics. But then again so is the SNP and some love their stuff too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Haven’t watched it actually.

Which of course makes your opinion particularly valid.

marcus7
    Free Member

Not being funny Ernie but saying that they are targeting the youth vote seems a cop out for a party that makes a big play of inclusion. If they by virtue of aiming for specific groups makes them no better than unipolar aiming at little englanders. I’m hoping that they have more broadcasts which actually project their core policies, without that it will just be noise, mind you I could say that about the rest of em 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It is perfectly normal to have a political broadcast, or the unveiling of an election billboard, or a press conference, or a photo opportunity, etc, with the aim of one specific issue or demographic target.

Given the huge demographic advantage the Greens have in the 18-24 range it would have been a major error to ignore it. And all the more so as that age range is particularly noted for lacking motivation to vote and to generally perceive politics and traditional politicians as boring.

As someone who doesn’t fall within that demographic target but currently supports the Greens electorally I wasn’t put off by the broadcast, in fact I quite liked it. But nonetheless as I previously said I wouldn’t vote for a political party on the basis of one political broadcast as that would be ridiculous, nor would I not vote for a party on the basis of one political broadcast would be equally ridiculous imo.

It was risky I don’t doubt that, and its effect can’t be certain yet. But as I also said that’s one of the reasons that I liked it. Labour always play safe which I find uninspiring, I suspect that I might not be the only one given the widespread public disillusionment with British politics today.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

BTW when I first started watching it I did have a WTF? moment and thought “they’ve lost the plot”, but as I carried on watching it and listened to the words and what they were saying I started to quite like it. When I saw it for a second time on the telly I decided that I definitely liked it and that other political broadcasts from other parties were really no better.

poly
    Free Member

It also made a load of you discuss it and what it was standing for. As advertising campaigns for “ideas” go that seems to be a huge success. It was different. There message is they are different. `regardless where you stand on the political spectrum it was probably actually pretty smart.

athgray
    Free Member

Having seen It, I thought it no worse than any other PPB. They are all terribly contrived. At least it is different. The one thing it has in common with every PPB I have seen from any party is that it does not persuade me to vote for them, so they may as well have a laugh with it.

bantasanta
    Free Member

Not really the kind of people you want controlling the exchequer.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Green Party election broadcast’ is closed to new replies.