Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Green lane 4×4 ideas?
  • sandwicheater

Need some advice on a good route to take a friend in his 4×4. Ideally in/around Yorkshire but open to further afield (say 2/3 hours from Huddersfield). Doesn’t have to be on green lanes, can be in an off road park thingy for 4×4 (if they exist).

It’s something I’ve never done however, friend purchased his 4×4 a couple of years ago and has wanted to spend a day pootling around off road but, has never found the time. It’s a Landrover Defender.

He got a brain tumour earlier in the year and things aren’t looking great (slight over statement but he’s already gone partially deaf as a result and loosing feeling in his face). They hope it’s operable but, it’s growing fast and I’d like to spend a day with him having fun soon.

Any suggestions?

johndoh
    Free Member

There used to be a dedicated centre in Bradford (Tong I think) no idea if it’s still there. Don’t forget to get proper off road tyres.

Good luck to your mate, just lost a friend to the same thing myself. 🙁

Edit – here you go… http://www.parkwood4x4.co.uk/

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW – I wouldn’t recommend green laning unless you are prepared (shovel, high lift jack, winch etc) – they aren’t prepared just to be a perfect ‘off-road’ surface, just access roads that can get the unsuspecting into lots of trouble (have spent many an hour digging back out of holes we’ve driven into).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sandwicheater

Sorry about your friend John. He’s a touch old cookie and putting on a brave face but you can tell he’s bricking it.

That parkwood places looks great , thanks. Would mean the whole family could come which is a bonus.

As for kit, he seem to have it all. Shovel, pulley thing on the front, snorkel and he’s done a few courses so he say’s he’s handy. Will pitch the parkwood place tonight, you’re a gent!

z1ppy

Wot Johndoh said, having spent 6/7 hrs sitting around, while my m8 tried to convince a local farmer to pull us out of a lane he’d got us stuck in, after he thought we’d just “pop up it” (was an offical green lane)… farmer came said “bugger that” & drove off, we had to call friends to pick us up and then return with another LR to pull it out the next day.. My swiss army knife wasn’t man enough to dig us out. Not the greatest afternoon/evening.

EDIT: Fair enuff if your/he’s reasonably prepared.

sandwicheater

LOL, can imagine a better way to spend an afternoon than sitting scratching your head at a stuck car. And you can’t even have a beer!!

johndoh
    Free Member

Just noticed they’ve got an open ‘play day’ coming up in three weeks too. Perfect.

Last time I was there we hydraulicked (sp) the engine (a diesel) because we had no snorkel 🙂

Took off the glow plugs and turned the engine over, had water squirt everywhere but got it started. Managed to limp about 10 miles before it died terminally. Never mind, we swapped it for a Rover V8 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Green lane 4×4 ideas?’ is closed to new replies.