Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft?
  • timidwheeler

We’re going away for the weekend. I think we’ll head east in search of better weather. I don’t know anything about Norfolk or Suffolk. Any advice

Klunk
    Free Member

neither Southwold, Aldeburgh or Orford (aka Kensington on sea) for suffolk, Cromer or Sheringham for Norfolk

timidwheeler

We’re looking for a reasonable campsite and a nice food pub. If you know anywhere?

Klunk
    Free Member

Southwold

Harbour Inn

Solebay

the nelson

the anchor walberswick

and many many more also a stones throw from a lovely sandy beach, though be warned nice beer but very pricey

kayak23

I’ve just come back from Southwold this morning. Lovely area.

Wednesday I went to Great Yarmouth out of curiosity as I’d never been. Nice long beach but the feel of the place is very Blackpool. Take that as you will.

Defo go Southwold/Walberswick/Aldeburgh

johnnystorm

What they said….as someone who gre up in Lowestoft and still works there…..go South of North of those two!

South of Southwold is Eastbridge, there is a rudimentary campsite there at Eastbridge Farm but the Eelsfoot Inn is a matter of yards away. It’s a nice ride from there to Southwold across Dunwich/Walberswick Heath and Dunwich Forest.

You’ll also be very close to RSPB Minsmere, home of Springwatch! 🙂

It also places you nicely for taking the bridleways South to Aldeburgh or Snape Maltings and on to Tunstall Forest if you fancy some single track.

mattbrk
    Free Member

As others have said, Southwold/Aldeburgh in Suffolk or Cromer/Sheringham way in Norfolk or anywhere along the coast down to Winterton really. Alternatively if you don’t need to be by the coast then Norwich might offer more to do?

If you need a bike fix then head to Thetford forest or Tunstall, though be prepared to pedal all the way round as there isn’t really any downhill (by downhill I mean “anything with more than -1% gradient!).

orangeboy
    Free Member

While staying near southwold we had a trip to Yarmouth as I was curious.
    I can save you the effort it’s just like every other struggling sea side cesspit.

timidwheeler

Thanks all. We were planning on a spin round Thetford on the way then on to the seaside. We haven’t been to the coast for ages and just fancied a change from the FOD downhill tracks.

We are even discussing leaving the bikes (this won’t happen) and having a bod-standard seaside trip.

Southwold keeps being recommended and it’s only 20 mins further away so looking favourite. Not sure those pubs are going to be idea for a girl with a sea food allergy though 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

they do burgers too 😉 and just chips (lovely with a pint of ghostship)

wait4me

Highly recommend the Adnams brewery tour if you’re in Southwold. You’ll need to pre-book. Nice way to kill a couple of hours.

swdan
    Free Member

Southwold is nice but can get a bit mental during the summer. From the you can do a reasonably nice loop via Southwold green, down to the river, over the bridge and along to Walberswick. Lunch at the Anchor then back to Southwold via the “ferry” and along beach/dunes. As others have said, you can also check out Dunwich/Minsmere, Aldeburgh, Thorpeness etc. Kind of depends what you want to do really. Suffolk is lovely part of the country, just don’t expect to get anywhere quickly once you off the A14/A12!

flange
    Free Member

As a resident of Suffolk I can say with authority, don’t expect to get anywhere quickly ON the a14/a12…bloody awful roads.

If you go to tunstall take a gps with a route loaded. I ALWAYS get lost in tunstall

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

If you go to tunstall take a gps with a route loaded. I ALWAYS get lost in tunstall

The waymarking for the Viking Trail is fine. Some sections closed for harvesting.

kimbers

Just did a week at trimingham / mundesley holiday park on cliffs over an excellent beach, nice fish n chips!

Never went beyond the club house clown show as we have the kids !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft?’ is closed to new replies.