Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Great XTR Di2 article/review on cyclingtips
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

A very interesting read:
    Here

Looks to have some new features over the standard road Di2, like auto front mech shifting!

ampthill

The mind boggles

Its like reading about a foreign country

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

auto front mech shifting!

A logical extension of the existing auto-trim feature, really.

davosaurusrex

Haven’t got time to read the whole thing at the moment but I liked the bit about roadies acting too cool for mountain biking with their shaved legs and lycra!
    Hahahahahahahahahaha! Etc.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m impressed already that anyone in Margaret River stayed sober enough to ride a bike…

MSP

auto front mech shifting!

A logical extension of the existing auto-trim feature, really.

This is the big feature that will lead me to handing over my money (although probably not until it trickles down to xt).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is the big feature that will lead me to handing over my money

Really? When 1×11 is so much easier?

I’ll hang on for the forthcoming wireless SRAM 1×11 set up, I think. Especially if they can come up with some sort of wireless Reverb and shock controls with it, which would seem likely given the SRAM brand portfolio.

ska-49
    Free Member

Love the electronic kit.
    I agree that wireless is the way forward. A wireless Reverb would be ace.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ll hang on for the forthcoming wireless SRAM 1×11 set up, I think. Especially if they can come up with some sort of wireless Reverb and shock controls with it, which would seem likely given the SRAM brand portfolio.

this will be comedy gold *runs off to start work on remote app* 😉

njee20
    Free Member

It won’t let you go small/small, but will let you go big/big?

Bit weird.

Seems you can do without the display if you’re running 1×11 then, saves a bit of cost and weight!

iolo
    Free Member

When I had my 7 speed thumb shifters I could finetune the front mech as I wanted while riding.
    Good to see technology does it now.
    and for such crazy money.

stevied
    Free Member

I do like the idea of this but would wait to see when it trickles down.
    I like the idea that you can unplug the rear mech for transport then plug it back in and it will reset itself.
    I can’t see me changing bikes for a few years yet so this may well be an option then..

rickmeister

Be great in racing if you can get your wireless shifters to connect to the oppositions kit… add in a wireless Reverb too for seat down, uphill big ring stalling.

But I suppose they have thought of that one already..

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure I’d want it shifting when I wasn’t expecting it – sounds like a recipe for disaster!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I think that the technology element of it is just fantastic to see, although the worse case battery time when controlling the electronic shocks as well will put off some of the endurance marathon racers.

The front mech shifting is not trimming but actually taking away the decision to manually change from the outer to the inner ring, or vice-versa, by doing it for you based on what gear you’re currently in and cadence, skeptical but can’t wait to try it.

nemesis
    Free Member

It won’t let you go small/small, but will let you go big/big?

Chain catches on the bigger chainring in small/small maybe? or just insufficient chain tension/slack maybe?

Speeder

iolo – Member
    When I had my 7 speed thumb shifters

Get over it Grandad, this is progress.

;o)

nemesis
    Free Member

molgrips – it doesn’t – read the article – it can decided for you when to shift the front mech but only when you actually ask it to shift – so rather than having to think about when to change the front ring as you shift though gears on the back, it’ll do a front shift at the best point. As in the review, people who’ve ridden it so far all seem to agree that despite initial scepticism, it works really well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Great, I’ll pop down the bike shop at lunch, pick one up.

njee20
    Free Member

I like that it gives an audible warning one shift before it does the front mech, although it doesn’t seem to be an issue it’s nice to know when it’s planning to do a front shift!

AlexSimon

I thought this was available on any Di2 system as long as someone has the Shimano programming tools?

onandon
    Free Member

So, if you were in the large, large and it front shifted. Would it dump you in small, large, or front shift and drop down the cassette to be in the next largest gear. (Does that make sense ?)

AlexSimon

on and on – Member

So, if you were in the large, large and it front shifted. Would it dump you in small, large, or front shift and drop down the cassette to be in the next largest gear. (Does that make sense ?)
    Surely it wouldn’t front shift, until you’ve gone up a couple of sprockets. Then it would front-shift and simultaneously move down a couple of sprockets.

lunge

on and on, it wouldn’t put you in large/large in the first place as it would have decided you can get the same ratio with a better chainline in middle/middle. But if it did it would shift you to the next easiest gear using front and rear simultaneously.

njee20
    Free Member

I thought this was available on any Di2 system as long as someone has the Shimano programming tools?

No, Fairwheel did a hack on it ages ago (on a mountain bike incidentally), but it can’t do sequential shifting by default.

edd

wireless is the way forward

Not sure myself. With wireless you have to have a battery, that will need charging, on each component. As a minimum that is a battery in the shifter and another in the rear mech; but you can potentially add batteries in the fork/ shock lockouts, front mech and uppy-downy seatpost. That’s a lot of batteries to keep charged. With the wired Di2 system there is only one battery.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Oh I can see a Di2 rear mech loving the lakes boulders & constantly wet trails in winter, imagine how you’ll feel rocks clattering of the mech, Ohhh my mech fannying about worrying just like when you batter Enve wheels thinking oh have I damaged it…. never mind the cost of replacing it if you rip the mech of with a big rock strike.

It may well have a place with the elite race whippets to save a few seconds here & there but not hard core big mountains, imagine popping into your LBS & asking for a new Di2 mech of the shelf, not many bike shops will stock it due to costs.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for technology but what’s wrong with 1×11, the biking general public are just settling into new bikes designed around 1×11 & now electric shifting is the new buzz word on the street, Ok for roads until it’s really proven then see how it fares with mud crud & the great British winter & a bit of neglect.

SamB
    Free Member

^^^ agree 100% with Edd. Wireless seems like it’ll just mean more things to charge, with no real benefit – running Di2 cables is phenomenally easy and can be entirely internal if the frame is set up correctly, so I don’t see any real benefit to wireless. Maybe a bit of weight loss?

Next thing I’d like to see is swapping out the brake lines for electronic cables aswell – have a servo in the caliper to activate the brakes and just transmit a signal from the lever. Obviously running out of battery would be a bit of an issue though… 😈

dirtyrider
    Free Member

LBS & asking for a new Di2 mech of the shelf, not many bike shops will stock it due to costs.

Half decent shop would be able to get you one next day

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wireless charging is also coming soon.

njee20
    Free Member

Oh I can see a Di2 rear mech loving the lakes boulders & constantly wet trails in winter

Whilst a rock strike will potentially bugger it (but you can replace the parts likely to get smashed relatively inexpensively), it’ll be more suited to “constantly wet trails” than a mechanical set up – no cables to get gritty, and far more force at the mech to overcome crap in the mech/cassette.

iolo
    Free Member

Are gritty cables a really big issue? I’ve always oiled the inners and change them on every service.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile//s?q=shimano+mtb-road+inner+gear+cable

They hardly break the bank.
    Change the outers too if you really want to splash the cash.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does seem a bit of a technological hammer to a problem that 1×11 solves for most. I’d still like a spin on it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

alivio here i come!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Looking at electrickery in general, how’s Snapierre’s Electric servo controlled suspension faired for the last few years?? I’ve owned 3 lappys & great bikes though they were you don’t see many of the electric suspenders out on the trails still after decent reviews, if it were that good it would of been on motocross bikes years ago.

Misspent youth riding them breaking bones! but loved them.

njee20
    Free Member

Are gritty cables a really big issue? I’ve always oiled the inners and change them on every service.

Not a really big issue no, but they’re an entirely non existent one with Di2. My point was just to counter the “that’ll be good in the mud then… 🙄 ” arguments, the point being that yes, it will be excellent in the mud!

mrblobby
    Free Member

it will be excellent in the mud!

Heard Di2 is excellent for cross in the mud and carries on shifting when a lot of mechanical systems get clogged up.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just like when you batter Enve wheels thinking oh have I damaged it….

nope, never ever think about it

njee20
    Free Member

Heard Di2 is excellent for cross in the mud and carries on shifting when a lot of mechanical systems get clogged up.

Indeed, which makes a lot of sense – the motors are far more powerful than a cable. It’s odd that people assume it will falter at the first sign of damp!

iolo
    Free Member

The rear mech alone is 400 quid. Bargain.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Great XTR Di2 article/review on cyclingtips’ is closed to new replies.