Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Great weekend for riding, what did you do? I met Simon Barnes
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

more here

he's a top bloke

Trekster

I rode Whinlatter on Sunday after having a night out celebrating Starkeys 40th in Carlisle

http://www.fanylionracing.com/riders/riderdetails.php?riderID=4

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I was mainly riding the Glen Tilt circuit as recommended by Kenny Wilson

Except for when I had to relace my mech hanger.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Spent the weekend at Afan and did W2 and Penhydd trails.

Cooroo
    Free Member

I rode Yorkshire Dales Cycle Route on road bike, with bf and mate. 2 days, 145 miles. Tough but fun. Amazing scenery and beautiful sun on Saturday.

Felofagen
    Free Member

Fantastic weather this weekend.

Saturday – Rivington Pike – first time I've made it to the top without a breather.

Sunday – MBB canal and Irwell valley

Didn't want to go home either day. Met lots and lots of smiling MTBers

clubber
    Free Member

A brilliant weekend at Afan

Friday – Penhydd
    Saturday – W2 and a big lunch at the dropoff at Glyncorrwg (great as ever)
    Sunday – Penhydd and lunch at the Afan Centre – much improved since last time I was there

amodicumofgnar

Didnt get out on Sat as will sorting stuff from hols.

Sunday, getting used to the on-one again after 2wks and 1400km from the Lake District to the Swiss Alps doing the Old Man rides Jungfrau on the roadrat. Kept it close to home so a circuit of Chinley Churn from Chapel via Mount Famine. Apparently I'm not talkative (perhaps just had nothing to say!)

wheelz
    Free Member

Saturday I had a tootle up to the Brecon Beacons Visitor Centre, and then on Sunday I did the 60km Brecon Beast. A good day out, but I felt everyone of the days I've been off he bike as I was struggling my way up the gap road!

Ready for the off…

Struggling up the Gap Road

Looking down onto Tal-y-Bont reservoir

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Struggling up the Gap Road

that is a cruel and unusual waste of a great DH blast 🙁

robinbetts
    Free Member

Did the 100k beast yesterday. Climbing the gap was a killer. Did feel a bit sorry for the a group of riders doing it the better way round, as after their climb, they'll have had a nice stream of beasters (is that the term) to avoid!

Anyway, hardest ride I've done yet, but I pride myself in riding everything (up and down) that was possible (i.e. all except the steps bit at the top of the gap).

I've had two breakfasts and two lunches today and I'm hungry again! Will this be lunch 3 or dinner 1, I'm not sure 😉

vdubber67
    Free Member

Wheelz – any more pics from yesterday? First time I've ridden that particular area and really enjoyed it…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

freeridenick – yes, some bits were a little cheeky….

We began in Keswick and did a few back roads until reaching a footpath at grid ref 233 217. It was nice and wide and rocky and climbed gradually at first before rearing up with a few techy sections to join another footpath. We didn't meet any walkers until we joined the second footpath which gives an easier climb before a short 10 minute carry up to the saddle between Causey Pike and Crag Hill. On the map the descent begins marked neither as a footpath or a bridleway although further down it's marked as a footpath. It was fantastic – in about 3 or 4k it doesn't get wider than 12 inches or so. It was steep and drifty at first before becoming much more flowy and twisty on a shallower gradient. There were a couple of stream crossings which necessitated getting off but everything else is rideable. We didn't meet a single walker on it although met a few at the top who didn't seem to give a toss that we had come up on a footpath.

The descent spits you out at Buttermere. We rode alongside Buttermere on a marked bridleway although I almost wish we'd stuck to the road after encountering several bell end ramblers and then up Honsiter Pass. Once at the top we followed the usual Borrowdal Bash route back to Keswick which was good. More tosser ramblers were encountered – one couple, who saw us coming from 50 yards away while walking on a tarmac road near Grange – gave us abuse for not having bells. It seems that the lower down you are and on more sanitised trails the more grief you get! They failed to spoil an awesome ride though.

Did Whinlatter on Sunday which is fun but nowhere near as good as the hills.

freeridenick
    Free Member

brilliant, cheers for the info 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Great weekend for riding, what did you do? I met Simon Barnes’ is closed to new replies.